Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

hamilton

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 04:54 pm
@Ionus,
right around the part in the bible that adam and eve get kicked out of eden, doesnt it also say that god's kind of happy they hadnt seen/eaten the fruit of immortality?
spendius

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:07 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
So really what you are trying to impose is that we pollute science so people will live the way you "think" they should live.

That's right. Have you any objection? If so please state what it is.

And I am not in a position to impose anything. I think science is a wonderful thing but if you want to go the whole hog with it you have some difficult questions to answer of the sort you have obviously not faced up to before.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:07 pm
@Krumple,
spendi knows tangents; he drifts away from the topic being discussed to add his nonsense that has no relationship to anything except in his own imagination. He lacks logic, common sense, and relevance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:12 pm
@spendius,
Nobody is required to answer questions from you that doesn't make any sense.

You wrote,
Quote:
I think science is a wonderful thing ...
, then added your nonsense with
Quote:
but if you want to go the whole hog with it you have some difficult questions to answer .

Answer what "difficult questions?" Your foolish questions that anyone who has any knowledge about science would understand. You don't.
spendius

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
To take a leaf out of Io's book--another useless post from ci.

I was answering Krumpie's post. If it wasn't relevant then Krumpie's post wasn't either. Why didn't you point that out to Krumpie?

Does the assertion that there was no Flood prove that pre-marital sex, adultery, divorce, artificial birth control using poisons and surgical procedures with abortion as a fail safe, homosexuality and eugenics are okay and to be encouraged?

What's the difference between abortion and infanticide? The tick of a clock with the start point guessed at?? What's your X weeks all about. You deciding when life begins?? The USSC deciding when life begins?? Sheesh!!!

I didn't introduce the Flood to the discussion. I just pointed out its mythological lessons.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:29 pm
@spendius,
You wrote,
Quote:
Does the assertion that there was no Flood prove that pre-marital sex, adultery, divorce, artificial birth control using poisons and surgical procedures with abortion as a fail safe, homosexuality and eugenics are okay and to be encouraged?

As Krumpie has stated (to which I agree),
Quote:
Why would believing a flood story have an effect on life style?

Try to equate things of equal value or quality. FYI, a fruit is not a car no matter how hard you try to relate them.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:01 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Why would believing a flood story have an effect on life style?
Do you read the Bible like a John Wayne movie ? It is about morality, it is not an outdated action flick .

Funny, the bible a source of morality? Seriously? You should take up comedy.

How about bashing kids into rocks or killing disobedient children? How about stoning people to death for working on Saturday? Not to mention we should enslave people. Or beat your slaves is okay as long as they don't physically die right away. What about killing people who tell you about other religions?

Was it not Jesus who said, "Now bring me the enemies who didn’t want me to be their king. Kill them while I watch."

Yeah the bible is a great source of morality...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:49 pm
@Krumple,
I find it extremely fascinating that christians believe the bible teaches morality, but seem to skip over those passages that tells his followers to kill their own parents or siblings if they do not follow him.

They gloss over the world flood that killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people - those that never heard about their god - and think nothing about it.

So many contradictions for those who can remember what they read.

It's one of those mysteries without an answer.
tenderfoot

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 10:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As their God-Goddess would say " A deathly silence".
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I find it extremely fascinating that christians believe the bible teaches morality, but seem to skip over those passages that tells his followers to kill their own parents or siblings if they do not follow him.

They gloss over the world flood that killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people - those that never heard about their god - and think nothing about it.

So many contradictions for those who can remember what they read.

It's one of those mysteries without an answer.

Well I can sort of understand why they make that mistake. There was a poll not long ago that stated over 70% of christians have never actually fully read the bible themselves. They actually rely on what their preachers tell them. So they only receive the stuff that has been filtered by the church. If they actually took the time to investigate their theology they would see the contradictions for themselves.
Thomas

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:27 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Well I can sort of understand why they make that mistake. There was a poll not long ago that stated over 70% of christians have never actually fully read the bible themselves.

It's not a mistake from the religion's point of view. There's a reason sermons tend strike a delicate balance between answering your questions about the faith without arousing your curiosity. If evangelicals I liked hadn't infected me with their enthusiasm for the gospel, and hadn't inspired me to read the Bible cover to cover, I might not be an atheist today.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 02:52 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
If they actually took the time to investigate their theology they would see the contradictions for themselves.

Here you show yourself to be ignorant of human nature. Although the rank and file true believer might not prove as adroit as the ordained minister in the exercise, they would still look for ways to deny that there are any contradictions. Very, very few of them would acknowledge any contradiction. You see the same willful, self-inflicted blindness among the true believers in ideology or political orthodoxy.
Krumple

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
If they actually took the time to investigate their theology they would see the contradictions for themselves.

Here you show yourself to be ignorant of human nature. Although the rank and file true believer might not prove as adroit as the ordained minister in the exercise, they would still look for ways to deny that there are any contradictions. Very, very few of them would acknowledge any contradiction. You see the same willful, self-inflicted blindness among the true believers in ideology or political orthodoxy.

Maybe, but I still think that even many ministers have never fully read it. I think a lot of the time they are just rehashing the same things they heard most of their lives and don't bother with any other details. But you are right, I think there are some who deny aspects and continue to be willfully ignorant.
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:46 am
@Krumple,
I would say most, the overwhelming majority would ignore what you see as contradictions. I also doubt very much that there is any significant number of ordained ministers who have not read the bible cover to cover, and doubtlessly, on more than one occasion. My opinion is that there are no ordained ministers who have not read the entire document. There may be a very small handful of self-styled "minister" who have not done so, although i doubt even that.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:51 am
@hamilton,
Which version of the Bible ? Adam in the original language means man as in humankind, not a single man . Later authors got confused and added eve, but this produced even greater problems with incest . Take the littoral story with a grain of salt . Look for the big picture .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
spendi knows tangents; he drifts away from the topic being discussed to add his nonsense that has no relationship to anything except in his own imagination. He lacks logic, common sense, and relevance.
Another waste of a post .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your foolish questions that anyone who has any knowledge about science would understand.
Here's a question for you dickhead... if multiple parallel universes are infinite in number, then how can God not exist in at least one of them ? Anyone who worships science is a fool like you .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:58 am
@Krumple,
Weve had several defenders of scripture here on A2K. What set said is actually how they presented themselves. They were, in my estimation, quite knowledgeable of the scriptures and put up decent defenses into the scientific accuracy of same.
When , for example, someone would question the World Wide Flood, they would try to present some sort of evidence that the Flood had left seafood fossils on tops of the highest mountains. Then they would try to attack geologic evidence that these mountains were uplifted at various eras and instead, try to argue that mountains were uplifted all at once )Implying that the earth was at a single "base level" so that a flood of global consequence actually happened. You couldnt argue heavily evidenced science with them if it countered their beliefs in Genesis.

This was the same for all the biblical literalists that have been oin the boards. Some were more aware of the evidence than others. Those that were aware also had well scripted , pre-digested answers for many pieces of scientifi evidence.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 03:58 am
@Krumple,
You are talking about SOME of the Bible from 4,000 years ago . Lets criticise science... blood letting to cure people ? Four different humuors that control life ? Spontaneous emergence of life from swamps ? SNEER...

Quote:
Was it not Jesus who said, "Now bring me the enemies who didn’t want me to be their king. Kill them while I watch."
No, it wasnt . Dont make up stuff to pad your argument .

Quote:
Yeah the bible is a great source of morality...
Beats the hell out of science as a source of morality . Never read Frankenstein, huh ? The Bible says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.... at a time when a peasants life was not worth the same as a rich man... that is morality .
Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 04:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I find it extremely fascinating that science devotees believe the bible doesnt teach morality, but seem to skip over those passages that tells us not to do cruel things to people .

Quote:
They gloss over the world flood that killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people
Science devotees seem to skip over the scientific wars that killed tens of millions of people because we are following science rather than religion .
0 Replies