Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

hamilton

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 10:29 am
uhhh...
what does this have to do with disproving and proving the existence of evolution?
i just hit view last post, but i dont see anything that does either.
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:01 am
@hamilton,
There's a distinction here which doesn't sink in with you, which is no surprise. No one here claims that cholera or scurvy have anything to do with the topic. But Chights is claiming that the nonsense he has been posting which equates science to religion as a belief set is relevant, and it's not. He has been told time and again that science is a methodological search for truth, and not a belief set, but he can't let it go.

I don't care if people stay on topic in a thread. My remark was to point out, once again, tediously, to Chights that his argument about belief is not relevant because accepting the scientific basis for evolution is not the same as embracing a religious belief set.

Of course, with your pouting resentment, your chip on the shoulder attitude, i have no doubt that you won't accept that explanation.
spendius

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta's last three posts prove one thing. It is the excellence of his flexibility. It is of such a high order that it might be poetically compared to that of a snake in the grass.

The "explanation", as he calls it, is not accepted by many philosophers and some of the more philosophically minded scientists.

"All he believes are his eyes and his eyes, they just tell him lies."

Bob Dylan. Licence to Kill.

Setanta believes his own eyes (plus reports from other eyes which suit his purpose) and anybody who does not agree is "tedious" , is "not relevant", displays "pouting resentment" and a "chip on the shoulder attitude".

This strict scientific methodologist in his search for truth states that--

Quote:
I don't care if people stay on topic in a thread.

And he goes to great and consistent length to call people trolls, put people on Ignore and to not only to send them to Coventry but encourages others to do the same on the excuse that they are off topic. Actually, it is because they have stumped him and because he fears what they say because it undermines the foundations he has built himself up on. He cares very much. His position is emotionally driven and has nothing to do with science which is a subject he knows nothing about other than to use pidgin science language to try to impress those who he feels are less intelligent that himself with his credibility. Their numbers must be shrinking alarmingly.

If scientific education was seriously improved, as he claims he wishes to see, he would become the village idiot. He has a vested interest in not improving scientific education. He has a one man Cargo Cult going.

hamilton

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:45 am
@Setanta,
oh no, i do.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:45 pm
@spendius,
thanks. i feel much better now.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 02:47 pm
@hamilton,
That is our whole purpose here, to aid Spendius and yourself towards feeling better and assist in your education regarding evolution.

Joe(Here for the struggle)Nation
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 02:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
What a mensch ! ! !

What a Prince ! ! !
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 05:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

That is our whole purpose here, to aid Spendius and yourself towards feeling better and assist in your education regarding evolution.

Joe(Here for the struggle)Nation

dude, you should make an orientation video for this site.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:47 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:

Go on then Joe-- explain those aspects of evolution you think I don't understand. If it is your whole purpose here (a flat out lie) it ought to be the only consideration you have.

I can see how an assertion that you are here to assist my evolution education is very much easier that actually assisting my education. Did your teachers walk in to your classes and announce that their whole purpose was to educate you and left it at that. I hope you feel better yourself having got such incisive wisdom off your chest.

As for you assisting me to feel better you ought to know that you have no capacity in that regard. And even less of assisting my education regarding evolution as it is obvious you know nothing about the matter except the magical use of the word in the service of discrediting Christian teaching on masturbation, pre-marital sexual intercourse, adultery, male homosexuality, divorce, abortion and irresponsible playing around with biological techniques using public funds.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:06 am
@spendius,
You sound like any other student on the first day of Summer School.

I always took it for granted that my instructors were there to educate me, despite whatever resentment and resistance I had to the process. See? I do have some insight into your present state of mind, but let's not dwell on that, we should get started.

Unfortunately, I am off later today to an area of the world where there is salt air and sand, ranks of clouds to be judged as to their possible shapes as horses or ice cream cones, and two histories to read: one on David Crockett and the other on the mis-treatment of prisoners by the British forces during the American Revolution. (Presently, I bear you no ill will regarding this issue, but then, I haven't read all the book yet.)

I promise to put some thought into creating a Syllabus especially for you so we can begin upon my return, meanwhile, you shall continue to have the very able attentions of Setanta, Farmerman and the several others here who have read books from which they have taken away ideas which have opened their eyes and lives, rather than, as your reading list seems to have done, created nothing but the trepidatious sod you appear to be in the above post. Smile

Joe(I shall build you a castle of sand, the same as your faith and ideas)Nation
spendius

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 06:27 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
You sound like any other student on the first day of Summer School.

That's nothing but a self-comforting vacuity.

Quote:
I always took it for granted that my instructors were there to educate me, despite whatever resentment and resistance I had to the process.

So did I but I welcomed my educators. That's why I read their books. Those in schools were a bit like you Joe when you say things like you did about your mission to educate me about evolution, on which subject I am an expert, but carefully avoid any attempt to get down to actually doing it. The high sounding statement of intent standing in for doing anything. Pure bullshit.

Setanta and farmerman and some others cannot even read properly so clouded are their perceptions by their self interest. Their selection of reading material is carefully calibrated to not upset their high opinion of themselves. As is your's judging by your choice for your vacation. What do you want to read something for that takes you no further than where you already are. Try taking Human Sacrifice by Nigel Davies. Or Erasmus: The Right to Heresy by Stefan Zweig.

Any ill will you might come to bear me as a result of reading your book is completely indefensible and could look like a blizzard of snow intended to shuffle off any ill will others might bear towards the US.

Quote:
I shall build you a castle of sand, the same as your faith and ideas.

Like Setanta and farmerman you are obviously pitifully reliant on reassuring yourself with assertions of that infantile nature. Actually Joe they are worthless in any intelligent company. Company in which they have value is not worth keeping I'm afraid.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 06:46 am
@Joe Nation,
Have a wonderful vacation and please dont have any thought about the welfare of spendi or Anus. They are nicely ignored so that the only interaction I have with either is to skip over the little notation that this poster is on my "ignore" list.

Since neither has had much to say that is relevant (or even mildly interesting), ignoring them isnt much of a burden to me, It actually clears space so that the relevant posts can be seen in all their splendor. Ive managed to wean myself from the occasional peek and only react when someone else posts a quote that piques my sense of incredulity .

Does your trip involve air transport? If so, just remember that airline traffic is much safer than the Long Island Expressway on your way to the Hamptons.

Whiose gonna watch your birdies on the building? They should be fledging and gone soon. Dont just go away and leave them uncared for. You need to delegate
spendius

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:43 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Have a wonderful vacation and please dont have any thought about the welfare of spendi or Anus.

Speaking just for myself, I do not give a fly-by **** whether Joe gives, or doesn't give, a thought for my welfare.

So I am on Ignore. Again. About the tenth time I think.

There's your--- "Their selection of reading material is carefully calibrated to not upset their high opinion of themselves." That is the reason for Ignore here. Pure fear.

The rest is woffle and, as such, means nothing. It is an attempt to try to justify a ridiculously unscientific position. Even in that respect it is woeful. It narrows the mind into the narrower and narrower lanes which become so focussed it appears eventually as a blinding light which will lead us to the new Promised Land. About which zone it knows nothing or if it does know something it is keeping it a secret until the trap is sprung.

I don't think I would take fm's advice even if he was showing me how to open a beer can.

Obviously his position is unassailable if it shuts out any challenge to it. How could it not be? He takes up the challenge of the sitting ducks in order to disguise this fact. He besets himself with feather dusters and claims credit for fighting them off. The US has about 307, 998, 153 citizens who have me on Ignore. One more is no sweat.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:37 pm
This was just posted on the beautiful animals thread
Quote:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01903/tiger-dog_1903595i.jpg
A dog nurses two liger cubs at Xixiakou Wildlife Zoo in Weihai in east China's Shandong province. Four cubs were born to a female tiger and a male lion on May 13. The tiger mother fed the ligers for four days then abandoned them. Zoo workers brought in a dog to nurse them instead, but two died of weakness.
Picture: PA

I've seen lots of stories about mammals doing cross species childrearing - to me it's pretty clear evidence of common ancestry.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 06:29 pm
@hingehead,
They say that a duck will follow a pair of skiddy underpants all its life if that is the first thing it sees when it hatches.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:30 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Why are you always following women's undies?
Eorl

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 06:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
More likely the skiddy underpants are closely following him. Something has to!
hamilton

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 11:31 am
@Eorl,
not flies?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 11:55 am
@hamilton,
More like fleas
hamilton

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 05:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
fleas evolved from something...