Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 05:25 am
@hingehead,
Very nice Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 02:12 pm

"A MAN WITH A CONVICTION is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point." So wrote the celebrated Stanford University psychologist Leon Festinger (PDF), in a passage that might have been referring to climate change denial—the persistent rejection, on the part of so many Americans today, of what we know about global warming and its human causes. But it was too early for that—this was the 1950s—and Festinger was actually describing a famous case study in psychology.

Festinger and several of his colleagues had infiltrated the Seekers, a small Chicago-area cult whose members thought they were communicating with aliens—including one, "Sananda," who they believed was the astral incarnation of Jesus Christ. The group was led by Dorothy Martin, a Dianetics devotee who transcribed the interstellar messages through automatic writing.

Through her, the aliens had given the precise date of an Earth-rending cataclysm: December 21, 1954. Some of Martin's followers quit their jobs and sold their property, expecting to be rescued by a flying saucer when the continent split asunder and a new sea swallowed much of the United States. The disciples even went so far as to remove brassieres and rip zippers out of their trousers—the metal, they believed, would pose a danger on the spacecraft.

Festinger and his team were with the cult when the prophecy failed. First, the "boys upstairs" (as the aliens were sometimes called) did not show up and rescue the Seekers. Then December 21 arrived without incident. It was the moment Festinger had been waiting for: How would people so emotionally invested in a belief system react, now that it had been soundly refuted?

At first, the group struggled for an explanation. But then rationalization set in. A new message arrived, announcing that they'd all been spared at the last minute. Festinger summarized the extraterrestrials' new pronouncement: "The little group, sitting all night long, had spread so much light that God had saved the world from destruction." Their willingness to believe in the prophecy had saved Earth from the prophecy!

From that day forward, the Seekers, previously shy of the press and indifferent toward evangelizing, began to proselytize. "Their sense of urgency was enormous," wrote Festinger. The devastation of all they had believed had made them even more certain of their beliefs.

In the annals of denial, it doesn't get much more extreme than the Seekers. They lost their jobs, the press mocked them, and there were efforts to keep them away from impressionable young minds. But while Martin's space cult might lie at on the far end of the spectrum of human self-delusion, there's plenty to go around. And since Festinger's day, an array of new discoveries in psychology and neuroscience has further demonstrated how our preexisting beliefs, far more than any new facts, can skew our thoughts and even color what we consider our most dispassionate and logical conclusions. This tendency toward so-called "motivated reasoning" helps explain why we find groups so polarized over matters where the evidence is so unequivocal: climate change, vaccines, "death panels," the birthplace and religion of the president (PDF), and much else. It would seem that expecting people to be convinced by the facts flies in the face of, you know, the facts.

The theory of motivated reasoning builds on a key insight of modern neuroscience (PDF): Reasoning is actually suffused with emotion (or what researchers often call "affect"). Not only are the two inseparable, but our positive or negative feelings about people, things, and ideas arise much more rapidly than our conscious thoughts, in a matter of milliseconds—fast enough to detect with an EEG device, but long before we're aware of it. That shouldn't be surprising: Evolution required us to react very quickly to stimuli in our environment. It's a "basic human survival skill," explains political scientist Arthur Lupia of the University of Michigan. We push threatening information away; we pull friendly information close. We apply fight-or-flight reflexes not only to predators, but to data itself.

We apply fight-or-flight reflexes not only to predators, but to data itself.We're not driven only by emotions, of course—we also reason, deliberate. But reasoning comes later, works slower—and even then, it doesn't take place in an emotional vacuum. Rather, our quick-fire emotions can set us on a course of thinking that's highly biased, especially on topics we care a great deal about.

Consider a person who has heard about a scientific discovery that deeply challenges her belief in divine creation—a new hominid, say, that confirms our evolutionary origins. What happens next, explains political scientist Charles Taber of Stony Brook University, is a subconscious negative response to the new information—and that response, in turn, guides the type of memories and associations formed in the conscious mind. "They retrieve thoughts that are consistent with their previous beliefs," says Taber, "and that will lead them to build an argument and challenge what they're hearing."

In other words, when we think we're reasoning, we may instead be rationalizing. Or to use an analogy offered by University of Virginia psychologist Jonathan Haidt: We may think we're being scientists, but we're actually being lawyers (PDF). Our "reasoning" is a means to a predetermined end—winning our "case"—and is shot through with biases. They include "confirmation bias," in which we give greater heed to evidence and arguments that bolster our beliefs, and "disconfirmation bias," in which we expend disproportionate energy trying to debunk or refute views and arguments that we find uncongenial.

That's a lot of jargon, but we all understand these mechanisms when it comes to interpersonal relationships. If I don't want to believe that my spouse is being unfaithful, or that my child is a bully, I can go to great lengths to explain away behavior that seems obvious to everybody else—everybody who isn't too emotionally invested to accept it, anyway. That's not to suggest that we aren't also motivated to perceive the world accurately—we are. Or that we never change our minds—we do. It's just that we have other important goals besides accuracy—including identity affirmation and protecting one's sense of self—and often those make us highly resistant to changing our beliefs when the facts say we should.

FOUR MORE PAGES
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/denial-science-chris-mooney?page=1
hingehead

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 02:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's cool EB - reminds me of Cognitive Dissonance, when I looked up the wikipedia definition it mentioned Leon Festinger's work with the cult too!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

This the more usual example given of cognitive dissonance

wikipedia wrote:
Smoking is often postulated as an example of cognitive dissonance because it is widely accepted that cigarettes can cause lung cancer, yet virtually everyone wants to live a long and healthy life. In terms of the theory, the desire to live a long life is dissonant with the activity of doing something that will most likely shorten one's life. The tension produced by these contradictory ideas can be reduced by quitting smoking, denying the evidence of lung cancer, or justifying one's smoking.[4] For example, smokers could rationalize their behavior by concluding that only a few smokers become ill, that it only happens to very heavy smokers, or that if smoking does not kill them, something else will.[5] While chemical addiction may operate in addition to cognitive dissonance for existing smokers, new smokers may exhibit a simpler case of the latter.

This case of dissonance could also be interpreted in terms of a threat to the self-concept.[6] The thought, "I am increasing my risk of lung cancer" is dissonant with the self-related belief, "I am a smart, reasonable person who makes good decisions." Because it is often easier to make excuses than it is to change behavior, dissonance theory leads to the conclusion that humans are sometimes rationalizing and not always rational beings.

spendius

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:20 pm
@hingehead,
But smoking might be risking one's life in order to be a more agreeable companion.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:49 am
http://www.savagechickens.com/wp-content/uploads/chickenfishapathy.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:52 am
See what I mean?
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 11:27 am
@hingehead,
That was very entertaining. That's not what I'm saying in the least though. She was an idiot hippie trying to "logically" rationalize things. What I'm basically saying is that everything, at it's very core, is based on a conception. It's basically an idea in which the proof amount to "because I said so". So basically it would be like a grand castle floating in the air. The difference between her argument (as in Storm in the clip) and mine, is that she's trying to compare her confused logic with his, which would amount to her claiming that her dinky tiki hut is better than his grand castle. I'm, however, just stating that nothing is actually known just assumed.

Any argument is based, originally, on a belief. We humans have such short lives, that we can't study everything firshand in one lifetime. We can't retrace all the millennia of research, observations, and experiments, done by millions of scientists, logicians, doctors, and anyone else who has contributed to all this vast knowledge in which we humans now possess. So based on that, I'm fairly confident that any logic or argument presented (especially on the side of science), would be mainly based on someone elses experimentations, research, and observations. In the case of this post, I'm pretty sure the person who started it wasn't there when evolution began, and wasn't alive to view the entire process happen.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:21 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
So based on that, I'm fairly confident that any logic or argument presented (especially on the side of science), would be mainly based on someone elses experimentations, research, and observations.
. The argument does not end there however. The experiments, research, and observations have yielded laws, theories and even some "tricks of the trade". All these are repeatable and re-discoverable by anyone else. The laws and equations are tools for other subsequent research and exploration. Im an exploration geologist interested in specific minerals. The rules of stratigraphy, (a major tool of geologic evolution) have yielded information based upon (mostly) botanical evolution. None of these rules have yet been refuted by any evolution denier.
There are NO rules generated by Creationist or ID studies that are applicable in the "real world".

When we cant all be around at the first experiments, we can benefit by the information they provide to our follow-on experiments.

You are welcome to try, its fun and maybe we can learn many new things.

No real scientist goes into their research with the answers all in front of them. Any scientist would love to upend the comfort boat and leave his or her footprint on the scuttling.

Quote:
Any argument is based, originally, on a belief
A well crafted argument in science is first based upon understanding, belief is relatively unimportant.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:32 pm
@Chights47,
I would like to add to farmerman's excellent response.

The person who started this thread never claimed to deal with "absolute truth." Absolute truth is an ideal sought by philosophers and theologians. Scientists attempt to explain the natural world in terms of natural phenomena. Darwin based his explanation on a variety of evidence.

Quote:
The evidence, as he presented it, mostly fell within four categories: biogeography, paleontology, embryology, and morphology. Biogeography is the study of the geographical distribution of living creatures"that is, which species inhabit which parts of the planet and why. Paleontology investigates extinct life-forms, as revealed in the fossil record. Embryology examines the revealing stages of development (echoing earlier stages of evolutionary history) that embryos pass through before birth or hatching; at a stretch, embryology also concerns the immature forms of animals that metamorphose, such as the larvae of insects. Morphology is the science of anatomical shape and design. Darwin devoted sizable sections of The Origin of Species to these categories.

Biogeography, for instance, offered a great pageant of peculiar facts and patterns. Anyone who considers the biogeographical data, Darwin wrote, must be struck by the mysterious clustering pattern among what he called "closely allied" species"that is, similar creatures sharing roughly the same body plan. Such closely allied species tend to be found on the same continent (several species of zebras in Africa) or within the same group of oceanic islands (dozens of species of honeycreepers in Hawaii, 13 species of Galápagos finch), despite their species-by-species preferences for different habitats, food sources, or conditions of climate. Adjacent areas of South America, Darwin noted, are occupied by two similar species of large, flightless birds (the rheas, Rhea americana and Pterocnemia pennata), not by ostriches as in Africa or emus as in Australia. South America also has agoutis and viscachas (small rodents) in terrestrial habitats, plus coypus and capybaras in the wetlands, not"as Darwin wrote"hares and rabbits in terrestrial habitats or beavers and muskrats in the wetlands. During his own youthful visit to the Galápagos, aboard the survey ship Beagle, Darwin himself had discovered three very similar forms of mockingbird, each on a different island.

Why should "closely allied" species inhabit neighboring patches of habitat? And why should similar habitat on different continents be occupied by species that aren't so closely allied? "We see in these facts some deep organic bond, prevailing throughout space and time," Darwin wrote. "This bond, on my theory, is simply inheritance." Similar species occur nearby in space because they have descended from common ancestors.

Paleontology reveals a similar clustering pattern in the dimension of time. The vertical column of geologic strata, laid down by sedimentary processes over the eons, lightly peppered with fossils, represents a tangible record showing which species lived when. Less ancient layers of rock lie atop more ancient ones (except where geologic forces have tipped or shuffled them), and likewise with the animal and plant fossils that the strata contain. What Darwin noticed about this record is that closely allied species tend to be found adjacent to one another in successive strata. One species endures for millions of years and then makes its last appearance in, say, the middle Eocene epoch; just above, a similar but not identical species replaces it. In North America, for example, a vaguely horselike creature known as Hyracotherium was succeeded by Orohippus, then Epihippus, then Mesohippus, which in turn were succeeded by a variety of horsey American critters. Some of them even galloped across the Bering land bridge into Asia, then onward to Europe and Africa. By five million years ago they had nearly all disappeared, leaving behind Dinohippus, which was succeeded by Equus, the modern genus of horse. Not all these fossil links had been unearthed in Darwin's day, but he captured the essence of the matter anyway. Again, were such sequences just coincidental? No, Darwin argued. Closely allied species succeed one another in time, as well as living nearby in space, because they're related through evolutionary descent.

Embryology too involved patterns that couldn't be explained by coincidence. Why does the embryo of a mammal pass through stages resembling stages of the embryo of a reptile? Why is one of the larval forms of a barnacle, before metamorphosis, so similar to the larval form of a shrimp? Why do the larvae of moths, flies, and beetles resemble one another more than any of them resemble their respective adults? Because, Darwin wrote, "the embryo is the animal in its less modified state" and that state "reveals the structure of its progenitor."

Morphology, his fourth category of evidence, was the "very soul" of natural history, according to Darwin. Even today it's on display in the layout and organization of any zoo. Here are the monkeys, there are the big cats, and in that building are the alligators and crocodiles. Birds in the aviary, fish in the aquarium. Living creatures can be easily sorted into a hierarchy of categories"not just species but genera, families, orders, whole kingdoms"based on which anatomical characters they share and which they don't.

All vertebrate animals have backbones. Among vertebrates, birds have feathers, whereas reptiles have scales. Mammals have fur and mammary glands, not feathers or scales. Among mammals, some have pouches in which they nurse their tiny young. Among these species, the marsupials, some have huge rear legs and strong tails by which they go hopping across miles of arid outback; we call them kangaroos. Bring in modern microscopic and molecular evidence, and you can trace the similarities still further back. All plants and fungi, as well as animals, have nuclei within their cells. All living organisms contain DNA and RNA (except some viruses with RNA only), two related forms of information-coding molecules.

Such a pattern of tiered resemblances"groups of similar species nested within broader groupings, and all descending from a single source"isn't naturally present among other collections of items. You won't find anything equivalent if you try to categorize rocks, or musical instruments, or jewelry. Why not? Because rock types and styles of jewelry don't reflect unbroken descent from common ancestors. Biological diversity does. The number of shared characteristics between any one species and another indicates how recently those two species have diverged from a shared lineage.
-David Quammen, National Geographic Magazine, November 2004
Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 02:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The argument does not end there however.

I don't believe there will really be an end to any argument, but that's just what I think...that also not what I was talking about. I was actually talking about the beginning, back at the start where everything was nothing.

farmerman wrote:

There are NO rules generated by Creationist or ID studies that are applicable in the "real world".

I don't disagree with you, but I do wonder where you got the idea of talking about Creation and ID studies from. I never said anything about it, so I would assume that you went there because you believe that I'm against science and some foolish ideological "nutjob". Based on what I really said, you're stating the same thing. [/quote]

farmerman wrote:
A well crafted argument in science is first based upon understanding, belief is relatively unimportant.

What's that understanding based on? Understanding comes from, perceptions, beliefs, and experience. I also don't believe that anyone completely understands anything. If they did, there would be nothing else to learn about it, or to experience with it, it would be all but dead to us. I would think that if anyone completely understood anything, that it would be a complete nightmare.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 02:21 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

That is incorrect fm and you ought to know it by now the number of ******* times I've told you. You are defining the "real world" and your definition is that the "real world" is where NO rules generated by Creationist or ID studies apply. It's as circular as the twang strap on a condom when in operational mode.

All the discoveries, and the means to them, of which you talk, are the result of the application of the rules generated by Creationist and ID studies. As is the language in which you talk. The very way you think.

How can anybody refute modern divining techniques. It's as easy as shelling peas after years of suck it and see. In principle. Remember that old Arab gent on CBS News who said he told the Americans where to drill.
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 02:30 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

I would like to add to farmerman's excellent response.

The person who started this thread never claimed to deal with "absolute truth." Absolute truth is an ideal sought by philosophers and theologians. Scientists attempt to explain the natural world in terms of natural phenomena. Darwin based his explanation on a variety of evidence.

Quote:
The evidence, as he presented it, mostly fell within four categories: biogeography, paleontology, embryology, and morphology. Biogeography is the study of the geographical distribution of living creatures"that is, which species inhabit which parts of the planet and why. Paleontology investigates extinct life-forms, as revealed in the fossil record. Embryology examines the revealing stages of development (echoing earlier stages of evolutionary history) that embryos pass through before birth or hatching; at a stretch, embryology also concerns the immature forms of animals that metamorphose, such as the larvae of insects. Morphology is the science of anatomical shape and design. Darwin devoted sizable sections of The Origin of Species to these categories.

Biogeography, for instance, offered a great pageant of peculiar facts and patterns. Anyone who considers the biogeographical data, Darwin wrote, must be struck by the mysterious clustering pattern among what he called "closely allied" species"that is, similar creatures sharing roughly the same body plan. Such closely allied species tend to be found on the same continent (several species of zebras in Africa) or within the same group of oceanic islands (dozens of species of honeycreepers in Hawaii, 13 species of Galápagos finch), despite their species-by-species preferences for different habitats, food sources, or conditions of climate. Adjacent areas of South America, Darwin noted, are occupied by two similar species of large, flightless birds (the rheas, Rhea americana and Pterocnemia pennata), not by ostriches as in Africa or emus as in Australia. South America also has agoutis and viscachas (small rodents) in terrestrial habitats, plus coypus and capybaras in the wetlands, not"as Darwin wrote"hares and rabbits in terrestrial habitats or beavers and muskrats in the wetlands. During his own youthful visit to the Galápagos, aboard the survey ship Beagle, Darwin himself had discovered three very similar forms of mockingbird, each on a different island.

Why should "closely allied" species inhabit neighboring patches of habitat? And why should similar habitat on different continents be occupied by species that aren't so closely allied? "We see in these facts some deep organic bond, prevailing throughout space and time," Darwin wrote. "This bond, on my theory, is simply inheritance." Similar species occur nearby in space because they have descended from common ancestors.

Paleontology reveals a similar clustering pattern in the dimension of time. The vertical column of geologic strata, laid down by sedimentary processes over the eons, lightly peppered with fossils, represents a tangible record showing which species lived when. Less ancient layers of rock lie atop more ancient ones (except where geologic forces have tipped or shuffled them), and likewise with the animal and plant fossils that the strata contain. What Darwin noticed about this record is that closely allied species tend to be found adjacent to one another in successive strata. One species endures for millions of years and then makes its last appearance in, say, the middle Eocene epoch; just above, a similar but not identical species replaces it. In North America, for example, a vaguely horselike creature known as Hyracotherium was succeeded by Orohippus, then Epihippus, then Mesohippus, which in turn were succeeded by a variety of horsey American critters. Some of them even galloped across the Bering land bridge into Asia, then onward to Europe and Africa. By five million years ago they had nearly all disappeared, leaving behind Dinohippus, which was succeeded by Equus, the modern genus of horse. Not all these fossil links had been unearthed in Darwin's day, but he captured the essence of the matter anyway. Again, were such sequences just coincidental? No, Darwin argued. Closely allied species succeed one another in time, as well as living nearby in space, because they're related through evolutionary descent.

Embryology too involved patterns that couldn't be explained by coincidence. Why does the embryo of a mammal pass through stages resembling stages of the embryo of a reptile? Why is one of the larval forms of a barnacle, before metamorphosis, so similar to the larval form of a shrimp? Why do the larvae of moths, flies, and beetles resemble one another more than any of them resemble their respective adults? Because, Darwin wrote, "the embryo is the animal in its less modified state" and that state "reveals the structure of its progenitor."

Morphology, his fourth category of evidence, was the "very soul" of natural history, according to Darwin. Even today it's on display in the layout and organization of any zoo. Here are the monkeys, there are the big cats, and in that building are the alligators and crocodiles. Birds in the aviary, fish in the aquarium. Living creatures can be easily sorted into a hierarchy of categories"not just species but genera, families, orders, whole kingdoms"based on which anatomical characters they share and which they don't.

All vertebrate animals have backbones. Among vertebrates, birds have feathers, whereas reptiles have scales. Mammals have fur and mammary glands, not feathers or scales. Among mammals, some have pouches in which they nurse their tiny young. Among these species, the marsupials, some have huge rear legs and strong tails by which they go hopping across miles of arid outback; we call them kangaroos. Bring in modern microscopic and molecular evidence, and you can trace the similarities still further back. All plants and fungi, as well as animals, have nuclei within their cells. All living organisms contain DNA and RNA (except some viruses with RNA only), two related forms of information-coding molecules.

Such a pattern of tiered resemblances"groups of similar species nested within broader groupings, and all descending from a single source"isn't naturally present among other collections of items. You won't find anything equivalent if you try to categorize rocks, or musical instruments, or jewelry. Why not? Because rock types and styles of jewelry don't reflect unbroken descent from common ancestors. Biological diversity does. The number of shared characteristics between any one species and another indicates how recently those two species have diverged from a shared lineage.
-David Quammen, National Geographic Magazine, November 2004

...I honestly find all that to be irrelevent to my post. I was arguing the point of one sentence mainly "I am fed up with ignoramuses doubting evolution. DO YOUR RESEARCH DAMMIT." He also stated "You cannot "see" evolution, BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO!" I personally like the quote "seeing is believing". Since evolution happens over a great span of time, no human will ever be able to experience it first hand. Since that's not the case, however, you have to go with the second best thing...assumption. No matter how educated a guess may be, it's still a guess.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 03:21 pm
@Chights47,
Chights wrote:
Since evolution happens over a great span of time, no human will ever be able to experience it first hand. Since that's not the case, however, you have to go with the second best thing...assumption. No matter how educated a guess may be, it's still a guess.

Some guesses are better supported by evidence than others. The mechanisms of evolution, especially adaptation, have been observed by those studying microorganisms that cause disease. Bacteria changes rapidly to adapt to antibacterial agents. This is natural selection in action and has been observed by epidemiologists.
Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:24 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Chights wrote:
Since evolution happens over a great span of time, no human will ever be able to experience it first hand. Since that's not the case, however, you have to go with the second best thing...assumption. No matter how educated a guess may be, it's still a guess.

Some guesses are better supported by evidence than others. The mechanisms of evolution, especially adaptation, have been observed by those studying microorganisms that cause disease. Bacteria changes rapidly to adapt to antibacterial agents. This is natural selection in action and has been observed by epidemiologists.

Ok...you totally missed the part where I said an educated guess is still a guess. What you're explaining it micro evolution, which is basically proven already. The assumption is that it also transfers (along with other research) over to macro evolution...which isn't proven...It also will never be undeniably proven until a time comes where we can actually see this change happen before our eyes. If not that, then someone would have to invent a time machine and goes back in time to show all the sceptics each step in the evolution chain...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:37 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
Since evolution happens over a great span of time, no human will ever be able to experience it first hand. Since that's not the case, however, you have to go with the second best thing...assumption. No matter how educated a guess may be, it's still a guess
As you clipped in the Quammen article, He stated in his 2000 book The Reluctant Mr Darwin that Darwin had used ex=vidence quite expertly and repeated several of his experiments that involved "methods " of natural selection . He included the nuggets for his later work on Island Biogeography. The point was that Darwin was unaware of several thousands of the species in which natural selection COULD be watched through time. His own Galapogos finches have been studied in depth since the 1960's with all sorts of morphological changes visible in the course of three or four generations. Russians have measured the morphological changes seen in ARctic foxes raised in captivity 0over several generations, Bacteria and ricketsia adapt and change in less than a year's worth of generations, and several other species can be seen developing and evolving on the sub macro scale in the span of human lifetimes.
Darwin was aware of rapid adaptation and morphological changes in siuch things as barnacles but he didnt spend much time in his "Origins..." as he ran out of space and categories to even give a short discussion of evolution observed in :real time"

The experiments being run at STanford right now I think are kind of neat. Biologists are removing specific alleles from speies and trying to achieve genetic compliments of earlier species forms to see what morphological changes these allele removals will induce.

I assume they copuld do that in reverse also and add alleles to see whether an embryo would develop more "Advanced " characteristics .

Evolution isnt a black art anymore. It was always a tricky theory that required careful keeping up with literature but with genomics as a tool , its becoming observable in short time spans.

Your irascibility with the "do your research" was meant at someone who had been purposely obtuse and wasnt meant at you anyway. We all get short tempered when such things as scientific theories are compared to mere "hunches".
Time duration of the theory of evolution is irrelevant since the rules of the road still pertain and are observable in geological and real time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:46 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
What's that understanding based on? Understanding comes from, perceptions, beliefs, and experience
Understanding in these sciences comes from evidence and facts. All these are repeatable in discovery and dont require mere beliefs. Even a belief in the accuracy of a fact must be based upon the evidence.Otherwise its a parlor game.
This is not some personal revelation, its a universal .
You can have a full life of bad experience which might make one an expert in some misunderstandings of science. ALchemy was a lifetime pursuit of ISaac Newton. Many of my own geology professors had been followers of a tectonic sytem that required "geosynclines" and "miogeosynclines". When the theory of Continental Drift became mature, most of these guys retired ratjer than return to relearn their own crafts.
Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 06:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Understanding in these sciences comes from evidence and facts. All these are repeatable in discovery and dont require mere beliefs.

I believe that the first sentence needs to be flipped. In order for there to be any evidence or facts, you have to first understand what you're actually talking about. In order to understand something, you must first perceive it, and experience it. When something first "comes to light" in your conciousness, you perceive it then experience it. You see, taste, touch, feel, and/or smell it. That generates the experience you get from it. Now, I think that understanding and evidence are actually, sort of, the same thing. Understanding is basically our internal evidence, while evidence is how we present our understandings to other people. We present our understandings as evidence in hopes to allow other people to understand what we've perceived as well. A fact is simply a collection of evidence, and "truths" are simply a collection of facts.

The second sentence is why I think so many people are confused, close-minded, fanatical, and every other similar word...not that I'm saying you are any of those things however. What I mean is that everyone see all the vast amount of research and study and experimentations, that they forget what it all really stands. People fail to understand that basically we're all people. We forget that everything that we "learn" is "interpreted" against our own perceptions and experiences. Through every description, explaination, and all the evidence and facts in which we have, only seperates us further from truly understanding what they really experienced and perceived...it's somewhat complicated to explain without going through a lot of explainations...which confuses the matter a little more.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 06:18 pm
@Chights47,
youve sorta got the evolution of "Hypothesis" in there but youve got it a bit convoluted.

Quote:
In order for there to be any evidence or facts, you have to first understand what you're actually talking about
Evidence and facts are lying all around us, whether we understand their implications or not. They begin to assemble themselves into a structure and our understanding grows from that. Newtonian physics had a few outlyers and anomalies that really didnt matter until further evidence (such as the properties of light or the existence of radiation) added to the story.
parados

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:27 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
I would think that if anyone completely understood anything, that it would be a complete nightmare.

You confuse anything with everything. It's possible for someone to understand something completely but not all things.

Certainly you think you completely understand that no one really knows anything. Does that make you any different from a navel starer that completely understands his own belly button? Or does it leave you to understand that you don't understand it and are probably wrong?
Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
In order for there to be any evidence or facts, you have to first understand what you're actually talking about

Evidence and facts are lying all around us, whether we understand their implications or not. They begin to assemble themselves into a structure and our understanding grows from that. Newtonian physics had a few outlyers and anomalies that really didnt matter until further evidence (such as the properties of light or the existence of radiation) added to the story.

That may be true in a general sense, but not in a personal sense, as in within our own minds, which is what I'm talking about. I'm discussing things from the point of view of our minds, and not what actually is. What actually is, is irrelevent because it will always be twisted and convoluted by our perceptions and past experiences. It wouldn't matter if anyone knew the absolute truth or what is really true about anything because there wouldn't be anyway to accurately convey that to anyone.
0 Replies