Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

wandeljw

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
@farmerman,
Setanta wrote:

If you really wanted to make it an extreme statement, you would say that a theory is not the same as saying "I think the Cubs will win the World Series."

farmerman wrote:

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWGHHHHH!! ya gonna take that Wandel??

It's okay to tease me about the Cubs. (But, NEVER, tease joefromchicago about the Cubs. Word!)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:27 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
Well, we've equated ID to Creationsim (wolf in sheep's clothing), so Spend is attempting to make-up this equation that materialism equals naturalism.
He's a second-rate magician trying to shift attention away to something irrelevant in order to perform the trick. Materialism is not a synonym of naturalism. A materialist is a person who is chiefly interested in material comfort and is hostile or indifferent to art and culture -- looks like a conservative to me.

It matters not a jot that you have equated ID to Creationism. It is a serious error if Creationism means a literal interpretation of Genesis. It is an error persisted in, often stubbornly, to avoid thinking.

I'm not equating materialism with naturalism. Materialism is what Hobbes said it was in the 17th century--" The whole mass of things that are is corporeal". There are no immaterial entities. That these physical objects can be measured and subjected to reason as in geometry and as reason is a characteristic of mind, a material object or series of objects, it is itself a material object. Reason reasons its own reason solipsistically. Automatic egoism. An end point in a chain of causation going back to a first cause which must itself be material. The atheist has no other position.

Reason is simply motion within the central nervous system just as unreason is. I explained it yesterday. The political choice between reason and unreason is determined by a view of potential consequences.

Naturalism is a philosophical concept with a number of meanings.

There is no magic and no trick. Those are simply cheap asserted smears to evade the science when the science has come up short and to cover up a lack of knowledge of these matters.

And it is not irrelevant. A whole range of scientists have studied the subject for many years. It as at the very heart of this debate.

That's why these so-called scientific anti-IDers have taken to talking about ball games and rival fan joshings. Hiding their heads like respectable well brought up Christian ladies do when somebody walks in with his dick out.

They have made an easy assumption that there are no high IQ students in their classrooms who might answer their exam questions in a manner which takes them by surprise. They want students who will simply regurgitate the bullshit they have taught them as they did for their own teachers 40 or so years previously. BI. (Before the Internet). They talk down to people.

Your definition of materialism is just a pejoritive cliche in common usage. It is usually directed at people who the user can't keep up with in the conspicuous consumption stakes. I can do a scientific appraisal of that if you want LW but Veblen has wrung the subject out dry.

My whole support for the ID side is conditioned by my love of art and cultural phenomena. Atheist art is crap. And there cannot be culture in respect of it.

As you can see--anti-IDers have no answers. They have to choose who they are debating with to make a fist of it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 03:24 pm
@Lightwizard,
Id always wondered (if I gave a **** about spendis flights) what hed say re: Josem Escriva.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:20 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, well de-materializing and re-materilizing is something they do on Star Trek. So I guess that's what is suppose to happen when you die since there's something beyond the materialistic world. Beam me up, Snooty.

You mean the controversial Sainthood of Josemarie Escriva? (or Jose, for short)? There's a dilemma.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:24 pm
@farmerman,
Too much controversy surrounds the man. And I've never read about him. I know there's a lot of propaganda back and forth. Not my forte. I watch the parking meters.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:58 pm
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

My God there are some shitheads in this world! All offense intended; I really don't care for being nice and polite and explaining every little ridiculously obvious detail to blindly-following, stubborn, ignorant, mindless cretins like you anymore. I'm fed up. Take a Biology class on evolution, go on, I dare you. It doesn't even have to be university level. Just a basic, high school class for teenagers. Read a textbook. Don't just go around spewing your uninformed sewage over every normal, logical person who understands and respects mainstream, basic science. Get educated for ****'s sake. Humans and chimps came from a COMMON ANCESTOR. Try to get that into your ******* head if you can, you retarded, worthless piece of ****.

Well done, you just received my most abusive and violently rude post in my three years here at A2K. And go ahead, have a go at me for it. I honestly couldn't care less. I make no apologies.

Hum... ok. Well, I just want to point out that people are much more willing to hear you when you are actually willing to teach rather than sit on some little high seat cussing them out. Heh... It's all good though. I am ignorant about some things. OH WELL. At least I can admit it. Smile Perhaps I could have taken something you said and learned from it though... if you had actually said anything. No worries. Life goes on whether you think I'm a... a... Oh excuse me please while I go cry myself to sleep.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hey... just curious when they started allowing all this cursing on here? Smile
Treya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:01 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Apologies are un-neccessary and pointless ap. We are here to allow people to vent their pent up rage.

If you have a boil up your arse which is creasing you or some frustrations in your personal life due to your character defects it is well known that explosions of vituperative anger, even when couched in school playground language, can provide a catharsis and help you to feel, at least for a short time, a little better about yourself.

I feel sure that Treya is an understanding person and is happy to have been the subject of your treatment.

Such treatment is more effective when tried on policemen, wrestlers and lumberjacks when they have just come out of church.

LOL THAT was funny.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Uhhh... errrr... sorry...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Now not only am I a bleepity bleep bleep bleep bleep... bleep... I'm causing people to go postal! *sigh* Oh what shall I do? What shall I do??
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I tried chimp... it was too chewy for me. *sigh*
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:39 pm
@Treya,
You have to "tenderize" it first. Will you ever learn?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:41 pm
@Treya,
Treya wrote:

Seriously... I know I've said this before and will probably get whacked for saying it again but I just can't help myself here... *sigh* Evolution makes zero sense when you tell me I "evolved" from something that STILL EXISTS.

This is an astonishingly stupid comment. I can only assume that you are secretly trolling in order to rile the science-based up.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@Treya,
Treya wrote:
Seriously... I know I've said this before and will probably get whacked for saying it again but I just can't help myself here... *sigh* Evolution makes zero sense when you tell me I "evolved" from something that STILL EXISTS.

I feel the same way when people tell me that my parents are my ancestors.

How? They too still exist!

I refuse to believe this until they die. I run a tight ship and I'm not having any of this ancestors walking about nonsense!
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:56 pm
@BigTexN,
Still banging against the same old creationist walls I see. Could one of you at least provide something original?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:01 pm
@Diest TKO,
Somehow religious theories are put, by the religious, outside all regular tests of evidence, logic and plain common sense.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:06 pm
@Lightwizard,
Really? Man, have I been mistaken. I considered myself a materialist of the philosophical sense, and I am very into my music and in no way am I interested purely in material comfort.
aperson

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:21 pm
@Treya,
Ok I'm going to contridict myself here. I do apologise, as you seem to be willing, at least to some degree, to admit that you are wrong. On the other hand, maybe that was a guilt trick (a classic, and effective). Never mind. As I have often said, being able to admit you are wrong is one of the fundamentals of scientific thinking.

Check out this website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/

It should answer pretty much all of your questions, if, as you say, you are willing to learn.

This isn't a direct answer, but hopefully you will find it sufficient:

Quote:
1. How can one species "turn into" another?

One species does not "turn into" another or several other species -- not in an instant, anyway. The evolutionary process of speciation is how one population of a species changes over time to the point where that population is distinct and can no longer interbreed with the "parent" population. In order for one population to diverge enough from another to become a new species, there needs to be something to keep the populations from mixing. Often a physical boundary divides the species into two (or more) populations and keeps them from interbreeding. If separated for long enough and presented with sufficiently varied environmental conditions, each population takes its own distinct evolutionary path. Sometimes the division between the populations is never breached, and reproductive isolation remains intact purely for geographical reasons. It is possible, though, if the populations have been separate for long enough, that even if brought back together and given the opportunity to interbreed they won't, or they won't be successful if they try.

Again I offer my contridictory apologies, and I fully understand if you don't accept them. You were simply the straw that broke the camel's back. I shouldn't have targeted you.

A2K is quite lax about swearing.
Treya

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You have to "tenderize" it first. Will you ever learn?

Darn it! I knew I was forgetting something!!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Treya wrote:

This is an astonishingly stupid comment. I can only assume that you are secretly trolling in order to rile the science-based up.

Cycloptichorn

Dang it... busted again... Guess it's time to head back to my cave!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:59 am
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

Ok I'm going to contridict myself here. I do apologise, as you seem to be willing, at least to some degree, to admit that you are wrong. On the other hand, maybe that was a guilt trick (a classic, and effective). Never mind. As I have often said, being able to admit you are wrong is one of the fundamentals of scientific thinking.

Check out this website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/

It should answer pretty much all of your questions, if, as you say, you are willing to learn.

This isn't a direct answer, but hopefully you will find it sufficient:

Quote:
1. How can one species "turn into" another?

One species does not "turn into" another or several other species -- not in an instant, anyway. The evolutionary process of speciation is how one population of a species changes over time to the point where that population is distinct and can no longer interbreed with the "parent" population. In order for one population to diverge enough from another to become a new species, there needs to be something to keep the populations from mixing. Often a physical boundary divides the species into two (or more) populations and keeps them from interbreeding. If separated for long enough and presented with sufficiently varied environmental conditions, each population takes its own distinct evolutionary path. Sometimes the division between the populations is never breached, and reproductive isolation remains intact purely for geographical reasons. It is possible, though, if the populations have been separate for long enough, that even if brought back together and given the opportunity to interbreed they won't, or they won't be successful if they try.

Again I offer my contridictory apologies, and I fully understand if you don't accept them. You were simply the straw that broke the camel's back. I shouldn't have targeted you.

A2K is quite lax about swearing.

Apology accepted and thank you. Smile
spendius

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 05:52 am
@Treya,
The phrase "not in an instant, anyway" is a good guide as to the standards of the target audience.

If separate species are defined as organisms which can't interbreed then it's obvious that when brought together they won't interbreed. It's a tautology. Not that an audience which it is felt necessary to use the phrase "not in an instant, anyway" is likely to notice. They are too busy feeling flattered by the impression that they are scientifically clued in.

It's padding really. We all know that giraffes and ants can't interbreed.
0 Replies