How would your city rate in the friendly test?

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:00 am
How would your city rate in friendliness---BumbleBeeBoogie

And the Friendliest City on Earth Is...
6/19/03

LONDON (Reuters) - It's crowded and dangerous but Rio de Janeiro is the friendliest city in the world, followed by San Jose in Costa Rica and Madrid, according to a new study.

Residents in Kuala Lumpur, New York, Singapore and Amsterdam are the least likely to help strangers in need, which made theirs the least friendly cities in a survey of 23 countries.

"It all comes down to simpatico, a Brazilian word that describes a person who possesses certain qualities such as friendliness and openness," New Scientist said Wednesday.

According to a six-year study by Robert Levine of California State University at Fresno and a group of social psychologists, Brazilians have simpatico in spades which is why Rio topped their list.

When the researchers conducted tests of the willingness of residents to help strangers, they found that Latin American cities, where social relationships are highly valued, came out on top.

Many of the poorest and least stable cities were the friendliest while people in overcrowded, fast paced ones were less likely to help strangers.

"This suggests environment has a greater influence than ethnicity or cultural background," the magazine said.

The findings also support the "stimulus overload" theory of social psychologist Stanley Milgram in the 1970s who suggested that people in crowded environments cope by ignoring emergency situations and depersonalizing strangers, it added.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 16
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:19 am
Out of the cities you mention, I've been in Madrid, New York and Amsterdam.

Madrid is, by far, the friendliest. MadrileƱos are known for being talkative, easy-going and social.
But I found Amsterdam friendly too.
In New York, you get to meet some neurotics, but the athmosphere has gotten friendlier over the years.

In London people are polite, but cold.
In Italy, people are often impolite, but warm.

As for my city, I think it used to be "friendly heaven" a few decades ago. I would say it's still quite friendly now, but not as much as it was before (Mexico City is latin, but overcrowded, and fast paced).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:31 am
I live in the Sawth, sugah. We're very friendly down heyah.
Actually I'm a transplant and what endeared me to my new home is the confortable friendliness of the people here. They don't want anything from you, they're not looking for anything, not trying to distract you while their accomplice is picking your pocket, they're just a friendly got-nothing-to-lose kind of folk who will just as soon smile and say good morning to a stranger as anyone else. I've noticed since moving here that I'm friendlier, easier, less uptight and on guard with strangers. What a relief it was to relax.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:45 am
I live in a city of chronic depression. I must say, though, that when my car was on fire more people got involved (not all of the helpful or even sane) than I would have expected.

Quote:
In London people are polite, but cold.
In Italy, people are often impolite, but warm.

This I like. The same distinction could be made for a number of city pairings. Funny thing is, though, I had a number of interesting conversations with people when I was in London, alone, who'd just sit down next to me in the park and start chatting. Thing was, it seemed like they were all people who'd immigrated from somewhere warmer -- Israel, Africa, Australia... I'd just come from a couple of weeks in Italy and Greece, so maybe they figured I was a fellow sun-person (which I am, sniff).

Quote:
The findings also support the "stimulus overload" theory of social psychologist Stanley Milgram in the 1970s who suggested that people in crowded environments cope by ignoring emergency situations and depersonalizing strangers, it added.

No surprise there. When rat populations explode, they start to kill and eat each other. Most animal species have adverse reactions to crowding.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:53 am
People in our area of Germany are not very open towards strangers. They are not unfriendly but keep to themselves a lot. In our little town, people are ok but I wouldn't call them extremely friendly.

Eoe, I love the South. I remember when I visited my brother the first time after he moved to Georgia, I just couldn't get over how friendly everybody was. It took me a while to get used to it, even!

I also think that people in Sweden are very friendly. They are open and helpful. I work for a Swedish company and it is very easy to get along with our Swedish colleagues.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:57 am
The more yankees come down to work in Research Triangle park, the less friendly Raleigh becomes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:06 am
Good question. Our city, Sunnyvale, California, is one of the safest with a population of over 100,000, but on the "friendly" test, I'm not so sure we'd be ranked that high. I'd have to give our city a 5 on a scale of 10. c.i.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:45 am
Not enough visitors to Bolungarvik to tell Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 11:04 am
Laeknir, A great big WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 12:59 pm
Great bumper sticker seen around here occasionally "We don't give a damn how you did it up North"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 01:07 pm
Brazilian cities would beat 'em all...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 01:12 pm
Yep, that's pretty damn friendly, all right.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 02:24 pm
Seriously, Brazilian cities would stomp all over the oether cities' nads.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:13 pm
But I kid you not! Brazilian cities would ream and pillage any other city!

< I swear I get it patio >
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:44 pm

(can't i just have fun with my copy-and-paste?)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:48 pm
Ok you win.

Brazilian cities are to meaness what Maddona is to chastity.

< let's see you copy and paste now! >
0 Replies