TODAY IN DALLAS . . .

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:29 am
Do the folks here recall the significance of this date?

How about Deeley Plaza, the Texas School Book Depository, John Connally?

Do those ring any bells?

Think, 43 years ago.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:31 am
Re: TODAY IN DALLAS . . .
Setanta wrote:

Do those ring any bells?

Think, 43 years ago.

isn't this the day republicans remember as the day Bill Clinton fired the second shot from the grassy knoll?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
This is funny. I just saw the reference on the net, and was surprised that no one had written a thread about it. Setanta, oh guru of history, I knew that we could count on you! Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
Can we get some more hints?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:35 am
Was it a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl Parade?

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Do those ring any bells?

Think, 43 years ago.

isn't this the day republicans remember as the day Bill Clinton fired the second shot from the grassy knoll?

Bingo ! ! !

The Bear wins the first Prize, one week, all expenses paid, in Crawford, Texas.

Snood, good humor, but the first Superbowl wasn't until 1967. I'm still going to give you the second prize--two weeks in Crawford, Texas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
That's one day everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing, as if it were this morning.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
Setanta wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Do those ring any bells?

Think, 43 years ago.

Bingo ! ! !

Snood, good humor, but the first Superbowl wasn't until 1967. I'm still going to give you the second prize--two weeks in Crawford, Texas.

this isn't a hunting vacation is it? Cheney won't be there right?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:58 am
Setanta wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Do those ring any bells?

Think, 43 years ago.

Bingo ! ! !

Yer all heart.....and gall bladder.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:02 pm
Gorsh, Setanta. I thought it was when Abe Lincoln was shot after issuing the proclamation for Thanksgiving. Hmmm, or was that Lee Harvey or Jack Ruby.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:06 pm
That was the day Texas became a state.

everybody knows that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:06 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
That's one day everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing, as if it were this morning.

That's exactly what occurred to me, EB, when i realized the significance of today's date.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Eyup! I was with my little son, visiting my grandmother. I saw the whole thing on TV.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:10 pm
Letty wrote:
Gorsh, Setanta. I thought it was when Abe Lincoln was shot after issuing the proclamation for Thanksgiving. Hmmm, or was that Lee Harvey or Jack Ruby.

You know, i was watching television the next day, and the "Big Three" were broadcasting live from Dallas as Oswald was being transferred. I was watching when Jack Ruby stepped up and shot Oswald.

Five years later, alone in the house on a weekend, i was again watching television (staying up very late) and watching the live coverage of Bobby Kennedy in California after he had won the primary there. The commentator was droning on about Kennedy's win while the camera followed him as he left the stage--and i was watching when Sirhan Sirhan shot Bobby.

Both events, and the ugly coincidence of seeing them live on television, seriously creeped me out.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:31 pm
I was watching TV when Ruby shot Oswald, but the network I was watching had a commentator talking in the studio and then quickly broke away to Dallas "after the fact". Does anyone remember which network missed showing it "live"? I think it was ABC.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:43 pm
By the time I knew Kennedy had been shot, it was already on the front page of a local newspaper. I had been in the deep weeds, using a generator and building a house, along with my uncle Henry and a couple of distant inlaws, right alongside the boundary to the Garner State Park. We came out of there, weary and hot. We stopped at a grocery to get cold drinks. Henry stopped us. Wordlessly, he pointed at the headline. My immediate thought was fear- -fear, because LBJ would now be president. I had always had a bad presentimate of him, and had been a Nixon supporter because of it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:20 pm
One of my earliest memories that include any awareness of things of national importance was the day Bobby Kennedy got shot. My older sister was sitting on the couch crying while watching tv coverage of the aftermath of the shooting. I asked he what she was crying for, and she said - I'll never forget it - "I feel like that was the last hope that black people had."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:30 pm
I still have a letter from Bobby Kennedy, thanking me after one from me urged him to run. I'm pretty sure his signature is not genuine, but, I have held onto it through thick and thin.
0 Replies