I'm new here, need a little help

georgio

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 04:55 am
Smile
Dear everybody..
I like english language very much, & Nowadays reading many articles, so in one of the articles there was the following:

Yesterday the girl at the center of a row over health spending lost her fight to receive the treatment for cancer that she needs.

Ok , the bold part of the sentence, was not so understood, I know the meaning of each word separately, but put them togehter Confused Confused Question Question Rolling Eyes
could any one be kind and explain to me in other words the meaning .

thanks in adv.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,358 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:04 am
giorgio- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

A row would be an argument or a situation where there was anger involved. In the case you cited, there is a lot of disagreement about health spending. The girl's situation might have been one of the situations that had been cited as causing a tremendous amount of expense. Therefore, the girl was pointed out as an example, in this argument, of a lot of spending on one person.

Therefore the girl (her situation) was the focus of the argument. (row).

Is that clear?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:06 am
"Yesterday" i'm sure you understand, as well as "the girl" and "health spending" . . .

"the girl in the center of the row" is probably your question, i'm guessing.

I'd surmise your problem is with "row." This is a verb and a noun, and like many words in English, has more that one definition and more than one pronunciation. Here, it is pronounced to rhyme with the word "cow" . . . and this is a very much less common usage than the other definitions of row--all of which are pronounced to rhyme with "bow."

Row (sounds like cow) means a fight, or an uproar . . . so, read the highlighted portion as "Yesterday, the girl at the center of the uproar over health spending . . . "

I hope that helps . . .
0 Replies

georgio

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:36 am
I'll write in other words as i understood:

Yesterday in the middle of the fight for health spending on cancer disease the girle lost her chance to get the treatment....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:38 am
Yes, that is essentially it . . . however, cancer is understood to be a disease, so "cancer disease" is redundant, you don't need the word "disease" in your sentence . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:51 am
Georgio- It might be said that "The girl who was the focus of the argument about health spending, lost her chance to get the cancer treatment".

If you are in "the center of a row" it does not necessarily mean that you are actually there, or even involved yourself.

For instance, let us say that a baby was given up for adoption. Later, the birth mother goes to court to fight to get her baby back.

You could say that, "The baby was in the center of the row between the adoptive parents, and the baby's real mother". The baby has nothing to say about the argument, and doesn't know that it is happening, although the baby IS the center of the row.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:07 pm
(Setanta... is that 'bow' like what flings an arrow, or 'bow' like the front of a boat, that 'row' rhymes with?)

Georgio... my apologies for the language. We are all moving to esperanto next week.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:20 pm
Giorgio, welcome to a2k. May I ask if you are italian? I understand a small bit of italian, but not anywhere near as much as you understand english.
0 Replies

georgio

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:31 am
I Completely understood the expression,
Setanta, Phoenix32890, thank you very much, in deed.

ossobuco, i'm not italian, am good in english, but i need to read more & more.

SealPoet, We are all moving to esperanto next week.
????????????????????????
0 Replies