Breast Feeding Mom Kicked Off Plane for Offensive Behavior

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
Who would know that feeding an infant is offensive! After waiting five hours at the Burlington, Vt., airport, Emily Gillette finally boarded a Delta commuter flight and discreetly began breast-feeding her exhausted toddler.

When Gillette started breast-feeding as the plane sat at the gate, the female flight attendant demanded that Gillette cover up with a blanket. The flight attendant said, "You are offending me.'" Gillette said that she was in the rear of the plane at a window seat, with her shirt covering most of her breast. "I said I would not put a blanket over my child's head," Gillette said. "The next thing we know, there was a Delta ticket agent standing over us. I was just shocked."

After she, her husband, and 22-month-old daughter were kicked off the plane last month, Gillette, 27, filed a discrimination complaint with the Vermont Human Rights Commission.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,955 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:46 am
From today's Albuquerque Journal, page D3
http://i10.tinypic.com/4griema.jpg

Quote:

Woman Booted From Vt. Flight
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:50 am
Unbelievable!!!

Actually, the flight attendent should be fired. She has obviously no
people skills that are so necessary in a profession like this.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:05 pm
Because it offended her? That's not an intelligent way to ask someone to stop anything. How rude, tacky.

My daughter-in-law nursed both her babies anywhere and everywhere, but she always covered herself and baby while doing so. Nobody ever even noticed. But, this lady must have some reason for saying she wouldn't cover her baby with a blanket. Even so, why would anyone care that a mother is nursing her baby? Look somewhere else if you have a "thing" about women's breasts being used for what they were intended. Really, people are just different, to each his own.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm
sunlover wrote:
My daughter-in-law nursed both her babies anywhere and everywhere, but she always covered herself and baby while doing so. Nobody ever even noticed. But, this lady must have some reason for saying she wouldn't cover her baby with a blanket.

She had indeed, and it a very logical reason it was, or do you eat in a bathroom or have lunch with a blanket over your head?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:51 pm
What a crock of poopie.

It's a freakin boob for chrissakes, not an H bomb. And there wasn't even nipple showing! They show more tit on tv than this woman was probably showing!

What harm did it do anyone? If people become offended seeing a baby being fed naturally, they need to re-evaluate their values.

I could see this woman being offended because of the age of the child. Many people believe that 2 years old is too old for breast feeding. Did they say why she though it offensive, or just that she did? (I know LOTS of women breast feed til then, it's just an ovservation into though process)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:00 pm
I didn't even notice the age of the child - but yes, perhaps the age is a little old for that, but not enough to be offended.

If I was still lactating, I'd go stand out at Delta and feed my baby too.

Would the flight attendant prefer a screaming hungry child instead?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:04 pm
Why doesn't someone pass a law that says it's perfectly acceptable to breastfeed in public... or at LEAST create nice conveniently located places to go sit down and breast feed in private. Nothing like sitting on a toilet breastfeeding your baby....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:13 pm
What is wrong with some people?

How is breastfeeding considered in any way an offensive act?

There's none so queer as folk, eh?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:16 pm
That is ridiculous, but what the hell is "An Española mother "?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:18 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
What a crock of poopie.

I could see this woman being offended because of the age of the child. Many people believe that 2 years old is too old for breast feeding. Did they say why she though it offensive, or just that she did?

The article says the 2 year old was exhausted.

An exhausted 2 year old is a cranky 2 year old. Cranky 2 year old have been known to be somewhat loud. Shocked and inconsolable.

If breastfeeding will keep a 2 year old from becoming cranky on a plane, I'd bring a wet nurse along with me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:21 pm
cjhsa wrote:
That is ridiculous, but what the hell is "An Española mother "?[/quote

Your certainly correct. In good English it should have been "A mother from Española".

But until you gave me this idea, I'd thought, it was common AE-use - at least, such is to be found on- and offline in US-American publications.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
[do you have lunch with a blanket over your head?

Thank you Walter.

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Priceless.

Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:24 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
What a crock of poopie.

I could see this woman being offended because of the age of the child. Many people believe that 2 years old is too old for breast feeding. Did they say why she though it offensive, or just that she did?

An exhausted 2 year old is a cranky 2 year old. Cranky 2 year old have been known to be somewhat loud. Shocked and inconsolable.

If breastfeeding will keep a 2 year old from becoming cranky on a plane, I'd bring a wet nurse along with me.

Many a mother have had to deal with a cranky 2 year old...and the boob would only console them if that's what you did to appease them. I doubt she purposly breast fed that long so that she could shut him up on the plane. Laughing But maybe...

That's jmo though.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:25 pm
Quote:

Why the hell was I not informed of this ahead of time?! I could have been at the airport watching a free boob show instead of sitting here at work! Damn somononbitches....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:28 pm
kickycan wrote:
I could have been at the airport watching a free boob show instead of sitting here at work! Damn somononbitches....

Indianapolis, today at 10 PM ...

http://i9.tinypic.com/312bs03.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:34 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Why doesn't someone pass a law that says it's perfectly acceptable to breastfeed in public... or at LEAST create nice conveniently located places to go sit down and breast feed in private. Nothing like sitting on a toilet breastfeeding your baby....

Actually, 38 states have passed laws protecting a woman's right to breast-feed at restaurants, malls, and other public places. The ironic thing is Vermont is one - the state in which this incident happened.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:36 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
What a crock of poopie.

Many a mother have had to deal with a cranky 2 year old...and the boob would only console them if that's what you did to appease them. I doubt she purposly breast fed that long so that she could shut him up on the plane. Laughing But maybe...

That's jmo though.

oh....I meant WHATEVER it takes to keep a 2 year old from screaming on a plane should immediately be done.

You could give him any of the 10 worst toys and that'd be fine with me.

I'd rather take a water balloon launcher at point blank range than a screaming toddler.

kicky...I'm thinking you could use that while flying....

you could suddenly stand up and announce "I'M EXHAUSTED AND CRANKY, AND ONLY BREAST FEEDING WILL CALM ME DOWN!!!"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I could have been at the airport watching a free boob show instead of sitting here at work! Damn somononbitches....

Indianapolis, today at 10 PM ...

http://i9.tinypic.com/312bs03.jpg

Hmmm...that doesn't look as sexy as I'd hoped...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:38 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
you could suddenly stand up and announce "I'M EXHAUSTED AND CRANKY, AND ONLY BREAST FEEDING WILL CALM ME DOWN!!!"

That is pure genius. I'm so lucky I know you.
0 Replies