Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 08:45 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 571 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:28 am
Nurses at Brigham and Women's hospital ( Boston ) have also decided not to strike. They were given the raises, they demanded and the scale for RNs at the hospital is now $90,000-120,000.

By the way, the hospital only hires RNs with at least an MS degree in nursing.

Anyone wonder why a hospital stay is so expensive these days?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:37 pm
Huge difference. The janitors were making $5 pr hr. That's less than janitors in other cities make. See what you could buy for a pay of $40 per day.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:06 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Huge difference. The janitors were making $5 pr hr. That's less than janitors in other cities make. See what you could buy for a pay of $40 per day.

Why didn't they take on 2nd jobs?

By the way, are these people high school graduates or just plain ILLEGALS?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:31 am
Miller wrote:
It really shouldn't matter to that degree. Facts being what they are these are hard working folks who deserve a decent wage. From what I have seen over the years most janitors and building superintendents are hard working individuals. They are often on call at all hours day and night and sometimes for fairly minor matters...I knew of one poor soul who received emergency calls at 3 in the morning for electrical problems. Turned out the distressed tenant needed to have a lightbulb changed.
Most janitors are fairly skilled at what they do...they need to know electric, plumbing, roofing, (at least for quick patching), locksmithing, heating essentials (boiler and hot water heater maintenance) and a wide variety of other things. Although I might prefer they were here legally, my first hope is that they know their stuff. As for their being high school graduates, you ought not to place so much weight on that qualification alone. There are those who are far superior in intelligence and skills to the muttonheads with walls full of degrees but no common sense or lifeskills. I had a neighbor for a number of years who had graduated college, went on to earn several more degrees and had a nifty high paying job. One day the electricity was out in our town and she was in a panic. Turned out she had no cooking skills beyond Microwave101, her entire dining habits were microwave, out of a box/bag or restaurant. Her gas stove however was in beautiful condition.

Give me the likes of Joseph or Stellian who may or may not have college degrees or even a high school diploma; but, know how to get the heat back up on a cold winter day...keep in mind Miller, my college education never taught me how to do that.

If anything a janitor or building superintendent should earn more than a mean spirited nurse. You see Miller, I have had enough hospital experience...as a patient...over the years to know that all that la di da education and inflated salary did not teach many nurses the most important life quality needed....compassion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:49 am
The strikers on television spoke English. Sturgis gave a more than adequate response, making one from myself unnecessary.
I wish everyone that knocks a hard working $5 an hour worker had to live on their pay for just four months. There would be a lot of suicides, I bet.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:24 am
Miller wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

They probably do have second jobs. Low wage workers aren't lazy. They are doing the **** jobs in this country and are underpaid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:40 am

Before making such a statement as the one quoted above, why not check to see how many jobs they have.
0 Replies