One more question: pls explane the part in square brackets

fansy

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 07:18 am
If he chooses to try to govern along the same confrontational lines as before, [that will be a recipe for paralysing conflict with Capitol Hill].
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 527 • Replies: 2
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 07:24 am
It means gridlock.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 07:32 am
In case you do not know what gridlock means, here is another explanation:

When someone says that a certain action or set of actions is a recipe, they refer to the instructions for cooking or baking something. Therefore, "a recipe for paralyzing conflict with Capitol Hill" means a set of actions which are a set of instructions for assuring that there will be conflict, strife, with the Congress, which will paralyze business in the government.

For the record, i don't believe in "gridlock." The profession of politics relies upon compromise, and the exchange of favors usually referred to colorfully as "horse trading." Politicians always seek a means by which all parties in the political mix can get at least a little of what they want, by exchanging favors and promises. I have never seen a time in my life when business could not get done, even if it is sometimes strained. George Bush who was the 41st President, and who is the father of the present President, vetoed more bills in a single term than any other President. Nevertheless, business got done, although it was transacted in an unpleasant manner. Business will get done now, as well, it just won't be easy or pleasant.
0 Replies