Thanksgiving is coming... any recipes or plans?

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:50 am
My tradition includes eating all the pumpkin pie I can for breakfast, then going to the beach w/a turkey sandwich for lunch (usually taking another pie) but my partner is talking free-range turkeys, so I guess I might be cooking the bird this year (in the early AM so we can take it to the beach- hah!) I'm thinking of stuffing it w/green apples and rosemary for the flavor (stovetop for the stuffing.) Any thoughts? Almost certainly purple sweet potatoes and mashed Idaho potatoes and a nice can of cranberry jelly will go along, perhaps a green salad... The wine will be Mouton Cadet white bordeaux, chilled... ??? What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,973 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 04:21 am
I'm going to try to convert this recipe from our portal for a Crustless Cranberry Pie into a multi-layer cookie bar.

I'm thinking of using a sugary sweet cookie type pie crust, baking it then glazing the crust with raspberry preserves. I'll then add a denser version of the crustless pie on top and bake as instructed in that recipe until cooked through.

I'm trying to decide if it might need another layer of something between the raspberry preserves and the cranberry pie. One thing I'm considering is glazing with a dark chocolate on top of the crust, then adding the raspberry and cranberry layers. I'm wondering if orange marmalade might work better with the chocolate/cranberry combination than the raspberry flavor. What are everyone's thoughts about that?

The goal is to have it turn out like a cookie bar that I can cut up and take up to my apartment manager's office for the holidays.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:15 am
Purple sweet potatoes never heard of them - interesting, please describe.

My menu:
Apps: Cheese spreadspreads with crackers; Spinach dip with chips
Main Entrée and sides: Turkey with Sage Butter/Bread Stuffing; Mashed Potatoes; Candied Carrots; Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey; Corn; Green Beans & red onions w/balsamic vinegar and gravy of course
Dinner Rolls
Wine

Family coming to visit are bringing deserts and lasagna.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:14 pm
I have to do a ham with honey-mustard glaze and roasted garlic mashed potatoes. I think my mother-in-law will handle the rest.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 10:23 pm
Tell me about the glaze, CowDoc. Will you be using a recipe or opening a bottle? If recipe, would love to hear about it.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 10:31 pm
I'm going over to the in-laws for a heaping dish of silent hostility...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 07:35 am
blacksmithn wrote:
I'm going over to the in-laws for a heaping dish of silent hostility...

Laughing Don'tcha just love the holidays?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:30 am
We're having my daughter over here on Friday and that's when we'll really have a Thanksgiving. Turkey, stuffing, mashed taters, gravy, green beans and two kinds of pie!

This nonsense with the in-laws is just something I'm enduring for the sake of my wife-- who doesn't really want to go either, but she in turn feels obligated to do so for the sake of her son. I could probably weasel out, but as I told her, where she goes, I go. It's a couple hours out of my life to make her feel better. How can I refuse?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:03 am
Butrflynet wrote:
I'm going to try to convert this recipe from our portal for a Crustless Cranberry Pie into a multi-layer cookie bar.

I'm thinking of using a sugary sweet cookie type pie crust, baking it then glazing the crust with raspberry preserves. I'll then add a denser version of the crustless pie on top and bake as instructed in that recipe until cooked through.

I'm trying to decide if it might need another layer of something between the raspberry preserves and the cranberry pie. One thing I'm considering is glazing with a dark chocolate on top of the crust, then adding the raspberry and cranberry layers. I'm wondering if orange marmalade might work better with the chocolate/cranberry combination than the raspberry flavor. What are everyone's thoughts about that?

The goal is to have it turn out like a cookie bar that I can cut up and take up to my apartment manager's office for the holidays.

Why not put the dark chocolate on top, as the last layer? That way it will be sort of self-contained, easier to transport, etc... My mom makes similar cake, it's the best in the world.

I think orange would indeed work better with cranberry,sounds mui interesting to me. let us know how it turns out.

we're making a potluck, so i am only responsible for latkes - potatoe pancakes. easy enough, though laborious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:11 am
blacksmithn wrote:
It's a couple hours out of my life to make her feel better. How can I refuse?

blacksmithn's soooo cool...

I'm making the whole shebang this year. I have a rather stained piece of paper in my favorite cookbook on which I planned my menu for the first real Thanksgiving dinner I ever made, about 12 years ago, and have hewed pretty closely to it ever since. Turkey (organic free range, will cook in a clay pot this year, did it once before and it was the best ever), stuffing, cranberry sauce, cranberry bread, mashed potatoes, green beans. Haven't decided if I'll make or buy pies, will probably go ahead and buy with all that other stuff going on. My husband's family has been circulating (via email) an old family potato recipe (said to date back to their roots in Ireland) that I think I might take a stab at even though it's rather labor-intensive -- very good!

Usually it's just us three but my mom's here visiting, still just four people to cook for, not bad (and lots of leftovers, yay!). I talked to a friend about her plans and she said it'd be small... only 15 people. Shocked She said normally it's more like 60. Wow. I can't quite imagine how that's handled.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:19 am
Clay pot... like a dutch oven?

I keep threatening to dig a 6-foot deep BBQ pit in the back yard.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:21 am
DrewDad wrote:

you can always turn it into a small swimming pool in the summer...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:39 am
dagmaraka wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

you can always turn it into a small swimming pool in the summer...

Or a duck pond!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:42 am
then again...my father started digging up a pool in our backyard and it turned into a wine cellar eventually.. much more useful in the long run.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 03:14 pm
Like this one:

http://www.thecookshop.co.nz/images/romertopf-lg.jpg

(Different brand, but almost exactly the same.)

It's made out of unglazed terra cotta and you soak it ahead of time (so it absorbs water) and it basically steams the turkey. Quick, too -- about 2 hours for a 10-pounder.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
No turkey in sight at our house, we're having goose, stuffed with
apples, red currants, red cabbage and whatever else I can think of.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 03:55 pm
That sounds great, Calamity..

Soz, I've a friend with two of those clay pots - he swears by them.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 03:58 pm
That does sound great, CJ... we've already had our Thanksgiving... we eat the same thing every year but the only things I care about are the stuffings and the gravy Smile

I make two dressings -one for inside the bird, kinda traditional, with bread, onions, celery, walnuts, etc and the other is for under the skin of of the breast and it's got brandy-soaked raisins, cooked rice, pistachio or pine nuts, minced onions and mushrooms...

The gravy always gets some rum or brandy to lift it off the ground.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:57 pm
Not using a clay pot after all. Was eyeballing the thing when I was checking the brand name (not Romertopf, Schlemertopf), and decided I better double-check whether the turkey fits. Nope. #@$%! Depth and width are fine, but it's just a smidgeon too high, and it has to have a snug fit for the whole steam thing to work. (About a 1/2 gap.) (And that was the smallest turkey we could find.)

Phooey.

Ah well, will just do it the regular way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 05:44 pm
Yeah. My friend who uses them puts in turkey breasts instead of the whole bird.
Speaking of turkey... did you read that New Yorker article on the fellow who walks and talks turkey? Fascinating.
0 Replies