english to latin translation

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:19 am
please translate - rebirth of light into Latin. Also, if possible can the word Renovatio be used? I would really like to learn how to speak, read, write Latin. How might I go about that?

Thanks a ton
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,872 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:13 am
The noun rebirth has at least 4 meanings:

Meaning #1: after death the soul begins a new cycle of existence in another human body
Synonym: metempsychosis

Meaning #2: a second or new birth
Synonym: reincarnation

Meaning #3: the revival of learning and culture
Synonyms: Renaissance, renascence

Meaning #4: a spiritual enlightenment causing a person to lead a new life
Synonyms: conversion, spiritual rebirth

Which one do you mean?

Renovatio lucis might suit meaning #3.

As for your question - my answer is: Find a school or college that offers Latin classes.
0 Replies

obiwanjedi

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:31 am
Thanks!
I've looked for places that have Latin courses and unfortunately none of them are around here. What I'm trying to come up with is a name for my graphic arts business. I was wanting something that sounds catchy and makes people interested to inquire about. I've tried to piece it together from free internet translators but the following is all I can come up with.

Renovatio de Lumen - Rebirth of Light
Renovation de Partum - Rebirth of Creativity

I'm not sure that "de" is even used in Latin... probably not. One of the two phrases (English) is what I'm wanting to use for the name, preferably the "light" one. If you could help me out on this I'd really appreciate it! By the way, where did you learn?

Thanks
ObiWanJedi
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
Re: Thanks!
obiwanjedi wrote:
Renovatio de Lumen - Rebirth of Light
Renovation de Partum - Rebirth of Creativity

They sound odd. And totally wrong. As with all machine translators. 'Partum' means birth as in childbirth. obstetrics, babies etc!

obiwanjedi wrote:
I'm not sure that "de" is even used in Latin... probably not.

No it isn't used like that. Latin nouns have 'cases'. One of them is used for the 'of' situation. In the case of the noun 'lux' (light) it is lucis.

obiwanjedi wrote:
One of the two phrases (English) is what I'm wanting to use for the name, preferably the "light" one.

Rebirth of light - renovatio lucis sounds like it would be most appropriate.

Rebirth of creativity - 'creativity' is one of those (very) 20th century concepts that the Romans would not have had. In this situation it is best to find the nearest Roman era equivalent, and I would suggest the English 'art'. Renovatio artis therefore. This is actually a phrase which historians use for a period around 1600 in Europe, when there was a late-renaissance flowering of the arts.

obiwanjedi wrote:
where did you learn?

I was young at a time when middle class English boys were forced to learn Latin at school, in my case, from the ages of 11 to 16. I am surprised by how much I still have left. it is very useful when trying to learn Romance languages such as French, Italian, and Spanish.
0 Replies

exxtravasty

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:37 am
@obiwanjedi,
renovatio is used in the movie the island (2005) but all around the word used is renatus, which is more of re- birth (natus is birth).
but renovatio is used for renewal and words along that line
0 Replies