Colloidal silver - long term effects

Chai

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:57 pm
might be a silly question...

you say you've tried all types of eye Drops, are you including Artificial Tears with what you've tried?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:22 pm
Here is the best site I know of for studying it.
Colloidal Silver
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
Silver is a heavy metal, and ingesting it will definitely affect you.

Silver Health Scams Spread Online

Definition of Silver poisoning

Consumer Advisory: Colloidal Silver Products

Quote:
3. Do colloidal silver products work?
Reviews in the scientific literature on colloidal silver products have concluded that(Reference link):

Silver has no known function in the body.

Silver is not an essential mineral supplement or a cure-all and should not be promoted as such.

Claims that there can be a "deficiency" of silver in the body and that such a deficiency can lead to disease are unfounded.

Claims made about the effectiveness of colloidal silver products for numerous diseases are unsupported scientifically.

Colloidal silver products can have serious side effects (discussed further below).

Laboratory analysis has shown that the amounts of silver in supplements vary greatly, which can pose risks to the consumer.

4. What are the risks of using these products?

Animal studies have shown that silver builds up in the tissues of the body. In humans, buildup of silver from colloidal silver can lead to a side effect called argyria. It causes a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, deep tissues, nails, and gums. Argyria cannot be treated or reversed, and it is permanent. While it is not known how argyria occurs, it is thought that silver combines with protein, forming complexes that deposit in the skin and are processed by sunlight (as in traditional photography). (reference link) Other side effects from using colloidal silver products may include neurologic problems (such as seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation. Colloidal silver may interfere with the body's absorption of the following drugs: penacillamine, quinolones, tetracyclines, and thyroxine. (Reference link)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
DrewDad wrote:
Silver is a heavy metal, and ingesting it will definitely affect you.

Silver Health Scams Spread Online

Definition of Silver poisoning

Consumer Advisory: Colloidal Silver Products

Quote:
3. Do colloidal silver products work?
Reviews in the scientific literature on colloidal silver products have concluded that(Reference link):

Silver has no known function in the body.

Silver is not an essential mineral supplement or a cure-all and should not be promoted as such.

Claims that there can be a "deficiency" of silver in the body and that such a deficiency can lead to disease are unfounded.

Claims made about the effectiveness of colloidal silver products for numerous diseases are unsupported scientifically.

Colloidal silver products can have serious side effects (discussed further below).

Laboratory analysis has shown that the amounts of silver in supplements vary greatly, which can pose risks to the consumer.

4. What are the risks of using these products?

Animal studies have shown that silver builds up in the tissues of the body. In humans, buildup of silver from colloidal silver can lead to a side effect called argyria. It causes a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, deep tissues, nails, and gums. Argyria cannot be treated or reversed, and it is permanent. While it is not known how argyria occurs, it is thought that silver combines with protein, forming complexes that deposit in the skin and are processed by sunlight (as in traditional photography). (reference link) Other side effects from using colloidal silver products may include neurologic problems (such as seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation. Colloidal silver may interfere with the body's absorption of the following drugs: penacillamine, quinolones, tetracyclines, and thyroxine. (Reference link)

I dispute that, drewdad. I and millions of people have been using the stuff from early in the Twentieth Century. (I for perhaps twelve years) Nobody can reliably produce a single case of that sort of stuff in your quote.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:14 am
Edgar, if you wish to continue ingesting something that can turn your skin into an overexposed photograph then I'm not going to stop you.

But please find me a peer-reviewed article that states ingesting silver is safe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:24 am
Find me a person who proveably suffered the fate you've described.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:50 am
From the first link I provided:

Quote:
Perhaps the best-known silver proponent is Stan Jones, the Montana libertarian who launched an unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate last fall.

Fearing a Y2K antibiotic shortage, the 63-year-old business consultant made his own silver concoction using a "silver generator" consisting of 9-volt batteries, silver wire and water. He turned blue after taking the concoction for four and a half years, he said.

The tabloid press dubbed him the "Incredible Blue Man" in deference to the sideshow freak of the same name, who contracted argyria after taking silver nitrate to treat a syphilis infection.

Jones says the concoction cleared up a fungal infection and reduced the number of colds and flus he contracted during the four and a half years he took it. His only mistake, he says, was that he drank too much of it.

"It's my fault that I overdosed, but I still believe it's the best antibiotic in the world," Jones said. "If there were a biological attack on America or if I came down with any type of disease, I'd immediately take it again. Being alive is more important than turning purple."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:54 am
overdosed

That's like eating silver. How about a case where the person used it in accordance with common sense?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:31 am
Can you find a recommended daily allowance, so that one does not have to guess at dosage?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
It has been several years since I read the instructions. I believe a tablespoon is a normal dose for most. I can't be held to that figure without doing some research. I just ingest a small daily quantity without measuring it. I take it a bit more and somewhat differently if I think I might have a cold germ or something. When first I started using it, I went through all this arguing for and against it. Nobody then could produce any damaged victim who used it in accordance with the instructions and still can't, to my knowledge.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Let me know when you find a peer-reviewed study showing its efficacy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:38 pm
Let me know when you find a peer studied single case of a person who used colloidal silver, in a manner consistent with the intended purpose, and suffered dire consquences. I have often ingested entire ten ounce glass-fulls of the stuff, several times in one day. That is far beyond the reccommended amount. How many years does it take for the bad results to show- -fifty? By then I won't notice.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:33 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
in a manner consistent with the intended purpose.

That would be the case I cited above. There are no medical guidelines on the stuff; its intended purpose is whatever the person taking it says it is for.

Some silver salts are still used as a topical treatment for burns.

As for the info stating that it kills bacteria in a petri dish... Clorox does the same thing.

Enjoy your snake oil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:41 pm
No need to call names because your search came up empty.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:52 pm
Edgar,

It may not be doing you serious harm, other than to your pocketbook, but it ain't doin' ya any good, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo_effect

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/pigeons2.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:57 pm
The one person you sited ingested copius amounts, far beyond anything a person would use. Your article specified "overdose." Even in the overdose category, that is the one thing to be found, despite the fact that colloidal silver is in widespread use and has been since at least the 1920s or earlier. This product was in great and increasing use in the 1930s or 40s, because it was effective and also cheap, until the drug companies influenced the feds to curtail it. Money was the cause, not science. Unless you have something new, I am signing off the thread.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:04 pm
The Wikipedia article has some nice 1930s references to argyria.

You are welcome to your beliefs about this stuff's efficacy; but it is all based on anecdotal evidence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:21 pm
You are welcome to your beliefs about this stuff's efficacy; but it is all based on anecdotal evidence.

Not so. Of the millions of persons, past and present, using it, no provable cases of people suffering are in the annals. Even the guy that overdosed did not appear to have any lasting damage. Plus, the evidence it works is not anecdotal to a long time user. One of the residents in the apartments has been using longer than I. I didn't know about him, until my helper mentioned that he had something similar to the flue. The old man poured him up a glass of colloidal silver to take home and use. I told him the way I use it for that purpose. A day or two later, he mentioned that it had done the job.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:14 am
A day or two is usually about how long the flu lasts....

Reminds me of claims by chiropractors that 80% of their clients get better.

Want to guess the percentage of people that get better with no intervention?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:00 am
I've seen flu-like illnesses last for weeks. A day or two is for certain types. You're nit picking anyway.
0 Replies