Mystery French Fireplace Inscription - can you decipher it?

Carfax

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
This year I visited one of the Channel Islands where I found a fireplace with a strange inscription. The stone was recovered from the Calvados region to become part of a house that is presently under construction.

Apart from that nothing more is known about it.

The British Museum have drawn a complete blank on what it means, as has the Biblioteque Nationale, Paris. The Victoria and Albert Museum are currently scrutinising it but after several weeks have not offered any information. Several universities have also failed to decipher it.

The inscription is carved on a mantelpiece corbel which is one of five pieces that make up the entire fireplace. The fireplace measures about seven feet across and about six feet high, and is one of two fireplaces that are identical except that the second does not have a carving. Considering the size of it, it must have originally been installed in a very large house.

If anyone has any knowledge that can shed light on what this thing means, OR indeed on the tradition of mantelpiece carving in France, then I will be very interested to hear your thoughts. Speculations too.

Several versions of the inscription can be seen at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16544488@N00/

Look forward to reading what you have to say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:24 am
Don't get excited. I haven't a clue what it means.

Fascinating mystery.

Joe
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:36 am
Okay so the British Museum, the Bibliotheque Nationale and the Victoria and Albert Museum are stumped, and you need us to help.

Fair enough. As an expert in medieval French and indifferent carving, I can report that it says

"I finished this fireplace last month and I'm still waiting...I'm owed 7609 Louis d'Or."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:50 am
And there you have it.

The world does not change. A contractor takes an extra three months to finish a job and then complains when the client is two days late with the payment.

Joe(But Seriously Folks...)Nation
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:40 am
The carving reminds me of old silver marks. Such marks mostly have meaning to the maker- his sylized initials or symbols. I don't think you are going to find a literal translation. I think someone made a personal impression to mark his work or his presence. My guess it's his name (or abbreviation of his name) and a date.

When I was learning how to carve stone I practiced on rock chunks. At some point I and made up my own runes. I hand chiselled a series of symbols (that meant nothing) into the stones and now use them as part of an alpine garden. A couple hundred years from now someone might find them and wonder what they mean.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
Green Witch wrote:
A couple hundred years from now someone might find them and wonder what they mean.

I doubt it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:48 am
The cockroaches that survive Bush's nuclear holocaust will have developed superior brain powers, and the will be very impressed with my carvings.

(Happy T'Day Gus, your turkey sounds delicious, sorry I can't stop by for a bite. Gotta go check on my steamed puddings- GW)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:50 am
This is so obviously one more piece of evidence that extraterrestrials have been visiting our planet for centuries. It's on a par with crop circles and that storage battery that they found in an Egyptian tomb some years ago.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:10 am
Is that where I left that damned battery?

Joe(I've looked everywhere)Nation
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 01:58 pm
I am pretty sure it's the manufacturers part number.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 08:46 am
The most likely explanation is the most mundane: The stamp of the stone mason and the date. Special pieces of work often have a mark of the artist that created them. I had to think immediately of the gold horn found in Denmark in the 19th century which had the runic inscription Ek Hlewagastir Holtijar horna tawido (I Hlewagast of Holt made the horn).

Alternatively it could be an Ikea instruction on how to assemble the fireplace.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
Paaskynen is probably right, but there's an easy way of checking by dating the stone's inscription:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/106/302120611_a38acd5464_m.jpg

Is it the year 1609?
0 Replies