Pls paraphrase 3 expressions in bold

fansy

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:50 am
A few weeks ago, I reported to you from Washington that I thought that the war, the corruption and the sleaze would [triple-whammy the Republicans]. There were many people on both sides of the Atlantic who thought that to be [a rather rash forecast]. They remembered the false hopes invested in Kerry, they recalled the disappointment of Gore and they [took the power of the Republican vote machine at its own elevated estimation.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 470 • Replies: 2
No top replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:57 am
"triple-whammy" to be hit or lose three times. There was a game show that gave you whammies. You lost when you got to the triple whammy.

"A rather rash forcast." predicting an outcome without considering reality
This is the simple dictionary definition of "rash"
1. acting or tending to act too hastily or without due consideration.

"took the power of the Republican vote machine at its own elevated estimation." The "Republican vote machine" is the ability of Republicans to get people to the polls. "machine" is a US English usage that refers to a strong political organization. The republican "elevated estimation" refers to the estimate by the Republicans of how strong their get out the vote effort is.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:14 am
double post
0 Replies