90% Of Europeans Think Global Warming Caused by Humans

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:51 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Are you saying I'm wasteful? That I don't recycle? What is your point?

Wasn't it clear?

I get great enjoyment out of recycling.
You ge great enjoyment out of killing certain animals.

Different strokes, that's all. We both enjoy oursleves in our own, quiet little way.

Umm, I don't think there's anything QUIET about his pastime, LE. I believe his Grim Reaper of the Forest act is accompanied by multiple loud explosions and the occasional shriek of the wounded.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:52 pm
A blacksmith that doesn't get irony?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:52 pm
snood wrote:
No, he's right Setanta - we're all out to get 'im. Boolah boolah!!!!

Oh fer chrissake, can't you keep a secret ? ! ? ! ?

Yer not supposed to tell him what we're up to . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
(a pun on metal, cjhsa...just in case you didn't get it)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:59 pm
Did you read any of my previous posts about recycling? What I've personally recycled?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:02 pm
I must admit that I haven't cjhsa....but now you've drawn my attention to it, it would make it seem reasonable to assume at this point that you are FOR efforts to make this world a better place.

Why then, do you criticise Europe for moving in this direction?

And why did you then go to the effort of belittling me (bin hugger?) for doing the same?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:01 pm
Back to this.

For one, recycling often requires a great deal of fossil fuel burn and water use. Some things are easier to recycle than others.

Metals: Must be remelted, typicallly by burning coal.
Plastics: Often require strong chemicals to break bonds, or are recycled into other non-recyclable forms, like insulation.
Glass: Must be melted.
Paper: Requires lots of water.

Something to think about. I'm not anti-recycling, but the benefits of doing so aren't as great as many might think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:07 pm
Since most of the argument for recycling in municipal plans revolve around the "where do we put all this ****" conundrum, your objections are meaningless. The cost-benefit analysis comes to a positive conclusion at any such point as you remove the waste without taking up valuable farm land, wilderness or residential space.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:09 pm
Objections? Did you read what I wrote?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:14 pm
Yes, you wrote that the benefits of recycling aren't as great as many people think. That is an objection.

I'm used to your poor reading comprehension, though, even when it applies to what you've written yourself.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yes, you wrote that the benefits of recycling aren't as great as many people think. That is an objection.

No, it's a statement of fact and a great talking point. Ever run a foundry? Scrapyard? Machine shop? I doubt it. I'd be willing to bet your experience in recycling ends at the curb.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:07 pm
To come back to the original statement.
90% of Europeans think global warming caused by humans.
They are right.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:09 pm
Who the f@ck else would have caused it? Chipmunks?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:10 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ever run a foundry? Scrapyard? Machine shop? I doubt it. I'd be willing to bet your experience in recycling ends at the curb.

How much?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 07:55 pm
You overestimate your abilties as humans to control anything.

Wilso, you dipstick, didn't you hear Al Gore call you Bonnie?

Gawd you A2K lefties are gullible. And so out of touch with the cycles of nature and of life. I've said it repeatedly, get off you butt and go hunting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 08:07 pm
How much?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 08:24 pm
How much what?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 08:30 pm
How much do you want to bet Setanta knows nothing more about recycling than sitting things on the curb. My, you have a big mouth and a short memory.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:02 pm
I don't think that whether the earth is warming is arguable. Glaciers are retreating. However, a thousand years ago, the earth was warmer than today. Vikings colonized Greenland, and Great Britain had plentiful vineyards. Who cooled the earth for a significant part of the second millenium? Considering the balance of animal and plant biomass between photosynthesis and cellular metabolism, I personally question whether humans have the capacity to actually influence atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. The fossil record indicates such shifts in ancient and prehistoric times, and I see no reason they could not happen again and again. Considering that volcanic eruptions are known to cool the planet, there may be much more correlation there than we care to admit. In my opinion, I think Al Gore and his European buddies are seriously overreacting. If we are causing such trouble, where were last season's hurricanes?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:05 pm
Umm...[size=8]are we allowed to bookmark this thread, or does that count as following a certain member around?[/size]
0 Replies