soon

McTag

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
Re: Soon
khorrami wrote:
Thank you very much, McTag and Aidan. You are very kind and informative. All in all, I got something, but maybe it's better for me to wait for "Shapeless" and "Roberta". But the surprising part is that this problem is unfamiliar for you as native English speakers, too, let alone me -- a non-native. So, my students in the English class would be unfair if they criticised me for not knowing the application of "soon" in this sense!!!

Yes, absolutely. It seems like a mistake or a misapprehension. And I'd certainly like to see the book which puts "soon" with "while" and "although". This makes no sense.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 05:00 pm
khorrami, I, too, wonder about the book you're using.
0 Replies

khorrami

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:24 am
Thank you Roberta. I think you're right. I haven't encountered such a thing through all these 14 years of studying English. That MUST be a great mistake in that grammar book.
Now I have no qualms before my students! I can easily tell them that the book is wrong.

My sincere gratitude towards all of YOU who took the trouble and time to reply.

Akbar Khorrami
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:40 am
Your're welcome.

Tell us something about your classes.

Joe(There nothing I like better than to show a book is wrong)Nation
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:43 pm
Re: soon
khorrami wrote:
Hi everybody,
Question: I know that "although" and "while" are are used at the beginning of contrastive clauses, but in a grammar book I saw that they had added "soon" in the same category. How can "soon" begin a contrastive clause? Could you please bring some examples?
THANKS a lot.

Hi y'all.

I think Mr McTag, that Roberta would give me a right good whuppin' with one hand tied behind her back.

Might I suggest, Mr Khorrami, that you scan and post the section that caused you the trouble? Also, did that grammar not provide any examples?

After I get all this info, I can then PM Roberta and have her work it all out for me. Smile
0 Replies