Mirror mirror mirror on the wall

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:53 pm
Oh god I'm dying.

sorry...carry on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:57 pm
This is so easy. Hang drapes in front of them. Good sound control, nice insulation, and if someone tries to peek out the "window" watch them jump when they see the bogey man.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:07 pm
When will I learn to READ. I should have finished your entire last post boomer. I responded after the very first sentence.

Just a tad impulsive. So my next post, the one I tried to edit once I did read the whole thingÂ…but was too slow to get in time (I was shouting hurry!) could be taken two ways

Anway.

Sorry.

I'm going to bed soon.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:10 pm
Maybe you could put some molding up in a big grid pattern and it would look like mirrored panelling. Then you could hang some art work inside the panels to cover most of the mirror.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:15 pm
Oh! Oh! You can also etch mirror. Put a funky design on it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:21 pm
Gads, drywall/sheetrock is just so easy.. Even I....

it's wiring I'm askiert of.

Ok, wandering in the land of maybe..
what bothers me is I don't presently imagine the mirrors are framed in any way about the top of the door molding, or are they? That puts me off to start with...

Let's imagine they could be framed similar to the molding, including across the ceiling stretch. That leaves you with this X x Y mirrored space.

Well, then, on that, hang a floor to ceiling space wide canvas or somesuch, like a chinese scroll. I happen to own a chinese scroll, what was I thinking when I bought it, but anyway, that one wouldn't fit.

You could hang a rug, tapestry type material, a changing canvas weighted at the bottom.

Ok, I hate all those ideas.

Try another... you have your framed space. You make a shoji screen out of 1x wood. You back it with rice paper. There you go.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:22 pm
You could buy a wood trellis, paint it nicely and put it over the mirror.
THere even could be a vine growing up.

Something like this

http://www.trellisstructures.com/trellises/images/trellis-palladian.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:35 pm
Or you could cover the mirror with a window film

http://www.windowfilmworld.com/window_film.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:39 pm
That trellis thing is similar to the shoji screen idea.

Eh, you need a new wall.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:43 pm
Huh, you haven't tried to get a mirror square off, have you? Maybe the whole sheetrock doesn't come with it, and what is left could just be remudded.

There is probably some plethora of stuff on google on this problem.

I have a similar thing with awful blue tile in my kitchen. I'm letting it go for now, 'til I have more money. I don't even cringe anymore...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:35 pm
I found that when I went on a diet and got myself fit I started to like the mirrors in my home -- or at least wasn't as repulsed by them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:38 pm
They're mirrors and mirrors..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:39 pm
Ha!

I haven't cringed about the mirrors for 10 years but they were pretty well hidden by the bookcases.

The soji screen or trellis or gridwall idea would probably work pretty good - leaving a little bounce light without eliminating it entirely. A rice paper screen would be Mo heaven for pencil poking and other mayhem though. I could probably really funk up etching!!

I'm not really sure I would want as much pattern as the window opaque thingys would give me. I'm not anti-pattern (as my current striped pajama bottoms and plaid top would testify) but I often find pattern visually confusing. I blame my horrid vision and lack of depth perception.

There is no kind of frame around the offending item. It is just stuck on for no good reason -- it is an abomination.

But I am still liking hingeheads idea (let us see if we can make Joeblow even more uncomfortable) of working with them instead of against them.

I really don't want to invest a lot of money in it right now since even with our deal the floors are costing a small fortune.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:48 pm
Whatever I'm looking like at any given time, I like them to throw back light... but I like good mirrors, picky person that I am. I can see a mirror in that spot, but it wouldn't reach the wood work of the doors at the sides or reach the ceiling - depending on the ceiling height, it would probably at the top be level with the door top. It wouldn't be made of worn squares, unless it was going to be a funky room, or part of an art object. Not that I mind old worn framed mirrors.

I dunno, it's the slapped on the wall business that I'm whining about.

Although this does remind me, back when I lived not too far south of you, Boomer, we used to frame mirrors with dried hydrangea blossoms...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:52 pm
I don't suppose you have a photo...

she says, tossing found objects into the room for future gluing... where is that lion's head...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:34 am
[size=8](you could open a belly dance studio - we're always looking for rooms with walls of mirrors)[/size]

If I can get the scanner at home to work (why are all those lights flashing?) - I'll post something from the current issue of Metropolitan Home.
~~~~

just when I was going to cancel the subscription because there's NEVER anything I like anymore ... there's an issue like the current one, where I've already dog-eared about 10 pages.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:56 am
Oh, you were just too good at creating a picture in my mind's eye about how awful they were!

I still can't get past the image I have in my head, so I'm not crazy about your idea, but you're right of course, if there's a feature you cannot change, you clean it up as best you can -- you don't fight it. I've seen tremendous improvement in appearance to old crumbled cement stairs/walkways by just a fresh coat of paint and a few well placed beautiful planters.

Not to beat a dead horse (thump), but wallpaper of the right type could make the wall look like just another wall, you know. Painted out the same wall colour as everything else, there would be nothing to recommend it as a focal point. In essence, it would disappear, which is what I think I would want if I couldn't actually just tear them down. Smoke and mirrors (as it were) could maybe do that and more.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Tilt the whole house on side and make it your bedroom....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 12:09 pm
Yeah, I was impressed by the pattern on the wallpaper you linked to, JoeBlow. When you first mentioned it I was thinking like pressed tin patterns or something, interesting but I wasn't sure if it would fit with the vibe of boomer's house. But the wallpaper you linked to basically just makes it look like plaster. If the mirror is totally flush, that could easily work I think.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:50 pm
Belly dancers! That's the ticket! Who needs a table and chairs when you can have belly dancers!

The mirrors are simply awful, Joeblow, you're right on that.

But they do stick out from the wall about 1/4 inch. I could probably fudge it with wallpaper. And that is pretty cool paper.

Perhaps it is because we're in the rainy season that I hesitate to get rid of them entirely. I'm coming around to liking the extra light they provide.

I think I'll play around with the cubes/plants/canvas' idea a bit first. I'm going to keep my eye out for some big modern botanical prints that I can stick on the canvas'

I don't want to post pictures. It is too depressing at this point. The floors are ready to be torn out and the house is a disaster. Maybe once the floors are in I'll do a before photo if the belly dancers agree.
0 Replies