Mirror mirror mirror on the wall

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
I'm preparing to redo every floor in my house. Most of this will be happening while I'm out of town next week (hurrah!).

The bad part is that I have had to reassign all of my bookshelves throughout the house. It really worked out lovely! I love the very uncluttered look in my dining room now.

But oh yeah! I remember why I had all of those tall bookshelves there! It's because of that awful wall o' mirror that some previous owner installed.

I HATE them. They are awful beyond imagination. Cheap, peely, streaky even with the best cleaning, ohmygod ugly cheap crappy wall sized mirrors you can imagine. Hideous. Terrible.

Removing them seems to be problematic according to wall knowers so I'm stuck with them or I have to disguise them or I have to move all the bookshelves back in and I really don't want to do that.

Can I wallpaper over them?

Paint?

Fabric? (I could probably do some kind of curtain but it would look kind of stupid at that particular place.)

Any ideas?

Anything will help!

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,963 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:23 pm
Ohhhhh your gonna hate me.

Remove them no matter what the hassel, even if it takes the full week.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:26 pm
I agree. New sheetrock, it's not THAT hard. Or, if old house, new lath and plaster, or sheetrock.

On disguise, will be back after effort to think...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:27 pm
Yeah, that was my reaction too.

I mean, unless they're structural support they CAN come off, even if it's a royal pain in the booty. I can't really imagine any way of camoflauging them that wouldn't immediately or before long look really grotty. Bookcases, sure, but that's a no-go; curtains, maybe, also a no-go. Buy some canvases that are even bigger, make some art on 'em, and cover? :-?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:29 pm
How big is this wall again? Is this the one you wanted to hide seeing the bathroom from the living room, or was that a different deal...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:30 pm
That was Chai I think...

Also curious about more details about size of wall and size of mirrors and how many mirrors...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:33 pm
ehBeth told me about a kind of paint that adheres to tile -- probably that or another kind adheres to glass, too. If the mirrors are absolutely floor to ceiling corner to corner flush, that might work, though it kinda makes me wince (and while I don't know, I have the impression that with that kind of area it'd get pricey).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:38 pm
Don't know if this would work... would have to be good materials not to look tacky... Floor to ceiling shallow, that is, say 5/14" deep by whatever height and width - shelves for magazines to stand up, slanting toward wall... a display case. Or, some sort of back panel, and front holders for floor to ceiling framed photographs. Yack, sounds awful, but could work if it was fairly shallow, even, say, 3 or 4 inches, clean lined, good materials, looking sort of like thin bookshelves with a little band in front to keep the photos from falling off.

My father did the magazine shelves back when we had an apartment in New York... but it was deep enough so that you could stack magazines sideways, and then have a display shelf above for this month's issue. That kind of thick shelving would look dumb unless it was surrounded by more shelves.

Pah, to make anything like that look good it would be cheaper and better to redo the wall.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:02 pm
If sheetrock and it's attendents were something I could do I'd rip them off in a minute but I'm not capable and I'm not gonna ask at this point. Right now I need to be either disguise it or put the bookshelves back.

I measured - they are 8 feet high (floor to ceiling) and 8.5 feet wide in three side by side panels.

The dining room is the first room in my house. There is a teeny entry and to your immediate left is the wall of horror. It runs 8.5 feet and the room is about 12 feet long.

I do kind of like the way the bounce the light around. We get great evening sun in through a big picture window in the room. With the bookshelves there we had a nice little bounce without the distraction of mirrors everywhere.

A narrow shelf build out would be nice - we did that with the utility closet in the room (if you remember my long ago pantry thread) but at this point a much bigger deal than even sheetrock, etc.

I really just need some fake out distraction to do to it for the time being.

I do have 3 40x60 stretcjed canvases that I could do something with but I don't know how I would hang them on the mirror.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:06 pm
Hmmmm....

You just mentioned wainscotting on the wood thread, osso. That might hide a big chuck of it.....

.... with a nice little chair rail.....

........ hmmmmmm.....

I hid a horrid wall in my kitchen with wainscotting and stretched fabric......

Hmmmm..........
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:06 pm
Hanging them would be the least of it I think -- I assume you wouldn't want to protect the mirror in any way, so you can use the same kind of heavy-duty adhesive that was used to attach them to the wall in the first place. Might have to rough the surface up a bit first, but I think it would work.

The canvases still leave a lot of mirror, though...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:07 pm
boomerang wrote:
Hmmmm....

You just mentioned wainscotting on the wood thread, osso. That might hide a big chuck of it.....

.... with a nice little chair rail.....

........ hmmmmmm.....

I hid a horrid wall in my kitchen with wainscotting and stretched fabric......

Hmmmm..........

I could imagine that working.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:21 pm
Have you ever seen textured wall paper? I do believe that once it's up it's intended to be painted.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:24 pm
I don't think the wainscotting will work after look it over. The floorplan is so open that starting and stopping points would be a problem and I'm afraid that everything would look choppy and half done.

The canvas' might work though. The mirror is 102 inches long so it would only accomodate two of the canvas' (80"). They would have to fit over the seams in a strange off center kind of way but it does hide a lot of the unholy mirror.

The canvas' (how do you make plural canvas?) were used for photos once upon a time.

I don't want huge photos -- not that size anyway - hanging in my house.

I'm not a painter of pictures by any stretch of the imagination.

So what could I put on the canvas'?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:30 pm
I could imagine something tonal. Get five tubes of good oil paint. Three colors, and black and white. Then have each canvas be one color, starting with the color + black (a bit), then pure color in the middle, then color + white (a bit). Make it a little rough and hand-made looking. Maybe reverse the order -- lighter at top on the two outside ones, lighter at the bottom for the middle one. I'd trust you to come up with colors that would look good together and with the rest of the house.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:31 pm
It would be easy to make it really arty -- start with that and then do appliques, cut out photos, make vignettes, etc., etc. Depends on how much attention you want it to receive.

I still can't quite imagine all of that with a border of mirror, though... eek.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:35 pm
Mirrors work with cane and hanging indoor plants in front of them - makes the place look bigger and more spacious too.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:44 pm
Maybe something like this.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:50 pm
hingehead, I agree that look can be nice.

I've seen some really beautiful rooms with a properly mirrored wall, rather formal ones even, but boomer doesn't have that.

Eeek.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:51 pm
Hey!

That might really help hinghead!

I don't object to mirrors as a whole - only these terribly cheap, uncleanable, chipped up mirrors.

BUT...

A quick trip to the garage....

I have four cube thingys - 2 22x22x18 and 2 20x20x12. I also have some nice plants in big terra cotta pots.

I could paint the cubes, put books or something inside, put huge pots on top (the room gets a lot of light) and that would cover a major chunk of the mirrors without making a big footprint on the floor.

The pots are big enough that I could even plant some tall spikey kind of things.....

That would solve three problems - get some crap out of the garage, keeping my plants alive through the winter, and covering up some of the awful mirror.

The mirror might even work in my favor with plants!

Yep, yep, yep.

That will work.

Maybe do a couple of the big canvas' over them......

Most of the wall would be covered but I might still get that nice bounce around light.

This is shaping up!
0 Replies