Poverty: Historical Reference ?

Dreagon

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:35 pm
I am doing a current event project+essay.

My prompt is on Poverty and who or what event in American History from 1600 to 1877 would be able to solve the issue or can be referenced to find ways to solve it.

The only thing I was able to pull from my textbook (or remember) was Alexander Hamilton who designed the US Fiscal Plan.

I am not so sure he would be the best choice so I would like to know of the other options of persons or events that would be good for solving such an issue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 660 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:49 pm
Please do not duplicate posts on a2k.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:58 pm
You time frame makes it tough, but you might be able to fit Jacob Riis into it.

Jacob Riis

I also suggest you look up the history of American unions. The only other lead I can suggest is religious groups like the Shakers who took in poor orphans.
0 Replies

Dreagon

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:21 pm
Sad Sorry about the topic being posted triple
When I posted the first time my connection timed out and when I checked if it got posted it didn't show up. And then the second time it happened so I had to reset my connection, checked first , it didn't show up so I reposted .. apperently it got through later ..

So if a mod could delete the other 2 and keep this, thanks and sorry.

ccerone and green witch thanks for your replies ille take a deeper look in a moment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:24 pm
Dreagon, I'm an "experienced" poster on a2k, and I sometimes still double post, because of the delays on connections. Just wanted you to have a head's up on this problem.
0 Replies

Dreagon

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:36 pm
Thank you very much for the heads up.

Jacob Riis does look like a plausable candidate to helping in solving poverty by raising awareness and having a personal experience of being poor.

I'm not yet final on this decisicion but this helps point me in a better direction.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:01 am
Poverty in the USA - and it's hard to find material???? Why not try a guy called Karl Marx? (He argued that 'free enterprise' economies like the USA need poverty in order to function) But you'll probably get arrested or run out of town on a rail if you bring his name up.
0 Replies