What should I do?

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:24 pm
My mum died 2 weeks ago.I am of course very upset about this but one thing that is really bothering me is I am due to have my period in a few days time and I don't know how I will get tampons or Sanitary towels.My mum always used to buy them and put them in my room.I cannot ask my Dad for them I would rather die then do that and I don't have any money and even if I did my Dad is so protective of me I would never have the oportunity to go out and buy them by myself.I don't have a job because I am very busy with my exams at the moment.I am older then you might think(17)but I am still worried.What should I do? Is this an unknown problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 432 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:33 pm
Gretle--

Welcome to A2K. Please accept my sympathy on your mother's death. You've not only lost a beloved parent, but the last years of your childhood will be abbreviated.

If you feel uncomfortable about talking to your Dad about personal supplies, can you write him a note? Do you have an aunt or a cousin or an older female friend of the family who could act as a go between.

Perhaps you would be able to talk with your Dad about a regular allowance for personal needs. I'm not just talking about pads and tampons, but about lipstick and nylons and all sorts of girly things.

Can you add pads and tampons to the grocery list? Who is keeping track of the household supplies (toilet paper, bread, dish detergent, etc)?

Good luck.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:41 pm
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum, how tough it must be for you at the moment.

If you really can't bear to ask your Dad, perhaps you could ask a female neighbour in the meantime?

Dorothy

XXX
0 Replies

gretle heikenmann

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:06 pm
Thank you very very much.It does mean an awful lot to me that someone has taken time to answer my question. Thanks for your suggestions.I never thought of asking someone else to get them for me.I think the person I would feel easiest talking about to is my boyfriend.Which is really strange considering he is male.I have known him for so long that I think I will ask him for them in the meantime until I can find a pernament solution.My Dad is not keen on the shopping so amy be I could offer to do the weekly shop,I can druve now and I could buy the things I need for myself. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:10 pm
Sorry to hear about your mom...

However, your dad knows about periods. He knows you have one. I know it might be embarrassing and it sounds like you don't have the greatest or closest relationship with him but maybe this is the opportunity for you to get to know each other better.

He is in a lot of pain now as well. Perhaps you can just sit him down and explain that you'd like to help out around the house and since there are some personal female items you need to pick up anyway, you'd be more than willing to go to the store for him.

Good luck.
0 Replies