Who Lost Iraq?

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
kickycan wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Still waiting for a response from Ms. Coulter on this one...

kickycan wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
I have yet to see one liberal devise a plausible manner of dealing, over the long term, with the attacks of 9-11 and the prospect of further attacks.

I haven't heard any plausible ideas from the conservatives either. It's a tie on that score. So what.

Monte Cargo wrote:
Maybe instead of indulging in the Bush-Bash fest, someone can come up with a plan instead of constantly bashing the one we're presently involved in.

Suggestions, anyone?

How about this?

Liberalism is old. There is nothing new about it. Obama Barak is 100% liberal, has voted 100% liberal on every vote put before him and will therefore not rise to become president. Barak would have to move to the center for the next two years and I believe it's too foreign to his nature not to be a liberal despite his speeches to the contrary. Unless the republicans place a complete zero up as a candidate, Obama will be easy to take down, so he's probably not going to be an issue as far as his opinion is concerned.

From your link, the best indication of the Obama's strategy (reverse, cut, run, redeploy) is, once again from your article:

Quote:
But while the speech was mostly the same, the environment in which he delivered it was radically different. Voters registered dissatisfaction with the Iraq war this month...
and blah, blah, blah.

Even the article correctly pinpoints Obama as the same old same old.

Sounds to me like you're indulging in a Liberal Bash fest. How ironic. And assinine. Have a lovely day, Ms. Coulter.

Nonsense. You are free to join the Obama fan club and if you can't stand the heat when it is correctly pointed out by me that your hero's speech was characterized within your own link as "mostly the same", you can always form an Obama fan club. You're looking for something that's not there.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:38 am
Monte Cargo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
The best reply to the title of this thread "Who Lost Iraq" is still the same answer: Saddam Hussein lost Iraq.

But that was not the meaning of the question.

It wasn't the answer that the anti-war posters were looking for. Yes, I did realize that, but that's my answer.

Saddam was taken down, and the only secular country in the ME was thrown into chaos. Result!!

And you boast about it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
Now, if that silly bit at the end, in blue, is to be taken seriously, then every commander in Iraq quoted by Ricks (and others) and each of those generals who served in Iraq and all others in the military who argue that this war has been run so incredibly incompetently are all themselves "traitorists and liberals".

I can't agree with that. One can claim that there is incompetence without moving to a questioning of the policy. In fact the charge of incompetence could just as easily be made by those who want to prosecute the war more vigourously.

I think the main incompetence is in not demanding of the consumer some sacrifices. Which reverses your conclusion as I see it.

A perception of Western dithering by our enemies wouldn't arise from a charge of incompetence as it would from a questioning of the whole strategy. A charge of incompetence could lead to increased competence which is something they might fear.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
Come on, MC. I have (dwindling) hopes you'll take some care with these matters. Your response immediately above re the title of this thread just avoids the discussion/debate that leads up this thread...that is, the AEI and neoconservative individuals who designed and pushed the policy ideas which provided impetus and rational for the project of attacking Iraq who now seek to attribute blame for the negative progress of the project. Those people aren't anti-war.

Please try a bit harder.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
BAGHDAD, Iraq - In the deadliest attack since the beginning of the Iraq war, suspected Sunni-Arab militants used three suicide car bombs and two mortar rounds on the capital's Shiite Sadr City slum to kill at least 150 people and wound 238 on Thursday, police said. The Shiites responded almost immediately, firing 10 mortar rounds at the Abu Hanifa Sunni mosque as Azamiya, killing one person and wounding seven people in their attack on the holiest Sunni shrine in Baghdad.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
spendius wrote:
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
Now, if that silly bit at the end, in blue, is to be taken seriously, then every commander in Iraq quoted by Ricks (and others) and each of those generals who served in Iraq and all others in the military who argue that this war has been run so incredibly incompetently are all themselves "traitorists and liberals".

I can't agree with that. One can claim that there is incompetence without moving to a questioning of the policy. In fact the charge of incompetence could just as easily be made by those who want to prosecute the war more vigourously.

I think the main incompetence is in not demanding of the consumer some sacrifices. Which reverses your conclusion as I see it.

A perception of Western dithering by our enemies wouldn't arise from a charge of incompetence as it would from a questioning of the whole strategy. A charge of incompetence could lead to increased competence which is something they might fear.

The claim was "tactics and strategy going swimingly". Those two words in military jargon and in the context of the war in Iraq refer to something other than "policy".
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:53 am
McTag wrote-

Quote:
Saddam was taken down, and the only secular country in the ME was thrown into chaos. Result!!

How do you know that the creation of chaos is not the objective. I'm not saying it is mind you. We do not know.

If Iraq is in "chaos" how are 27 million people being fed? There must be supplies and a currency. The schools are open. Petrol stations must be operating etc etc.

The news is distorting your ideas.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:24 pm
blatham wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Monte said:
"It's only the truth as the truth is that the war being fought in Iraq is and has always proceeded splendidly from a tactical and strategic point of view, only to be undermined and savagely sabotaged by the traitorists and liberals in this country, which are two sides of the same coin."

This is about as dumb a statement as I have seen. The Bush administration went into Iraq based on false claims, and then conducted the occupation with great ineptitude. At the outset, we foolishly allowed the looting of Baghdad, dismissed the military and police (which effectively created untold insurgents to oppose us), destroyed a city of 300,000 to flush out a few insurgents, etc.

This administration has been a great, and unwitting, ally of our country's enemies.

There are a number of claims in MC's post which don't stand up to even a little inspection, but this one above, in red, is worthy of note. The second portion, in blue, is merely an unthinking generalization and cliche and not much worth taking up.

If one references only the opinions of military commanders working in Iraq, a claim that strategy and tactics proceeded swimmingly is quite foolish. Ricks, in "Fiasco" quotes many of them, from upper levels down, and what they have to say is, with a handful of exceptions only, quite opposite. Or, we could note the testimony to congress a couple of months past from the group of generals who served in Iraq. I'm uncertain actually whether there is anyone outside of Tony Snow, Ann Coulter and related crowd who make this claim presently and speaking truth is not their goal.

All anyone needs to know about Thomas Ricks is "Thomas E. Ricks is a senior Pentagon correspondent for The Washington Post". Obviously, anyone who writes for the Washington Post can be depended upon to suffer from Bush Derangement Syndrome.

The Ricks book attempts to prove basically that the U.S. 4th Infantry caused a turn in the Iraqui's population's perception of the U.S....and not the terrorists. Ricks never bothered to consider the fact that when the 4th Infantry took Fallujah, the two "other than Sunni" majority groups that the Sunni's bitterly oppose, suddenly were not under the Sunni's oppressive rule. That kind of thing might tend to color the Sunni's existing perception of U.S. involvement in Iraq.

Your attempt to pass off a Washington Post reporter as an impartial judge of the Iraq War is as likely to convince a non-liberal as much as a quote from Rush Limbaugh's website or Ann Coulter's column or opinions of the Republican National Committee would convince you.
Quote:
If the comment refers to the initial project of taking the capital and deposing the Iraqi government, one could reasonably make this claim.

Well, there's at least a little hope for one poster, even if it is in incremental baby steps, and such a big concession!
Quote:
But that becomes an exercise in denial and avoidance. How much sense does it make to refer to a chef's meal as successful if the first bite of the salad tastes good and all the rest is bad enough to be described accurately as near-poisonous. As if the chef is off the hook for that first bite.

I proceed with the concept firmly embedded that the leftist worldview comes down to capitalist systems are evil. Our potential humiliation in Afghanistan and Iraq would serve to confirm this view. Leftists end up helping the forces that they traditionally have opposed and this is seriously twisted.

Quote:

Ex-commanders like to talk and without the stress of battle, often become great armchair quarterbacks. Take a liberal like Thomas Ricks weaving these comments into a product of his own agenda and voila! You have a second Fahrenheit 9-11!
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:28 pm
spendius wrote:
McTag wrote-

Quote:

How do you know that the creation of chaos is not the objective. I'm not saying it is mind you. We do not know.

If Iraq is in "chaos" how are 27 million people being fed? There must be supplies and a currency. The schools are open. Petrol stations must be operating etc etc.

Spendius. Here's a hint of things to come. Now that dems have taken a majority in the House and a slim margin in the Senate, watch for the news reports to immediately change as soon as the hammer falls to begin the 110th Congress.

This will be a tough one for the media. The media hates a strong America but needs to glorify Congress while still criticizing Bush.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:38 pm
The Fifth column is well represented in, and well served by, the Fourth Estate. Like it or not, that's one of the prices of a free press within a free society.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:46 pm
Hmm, they certainly are exaggerating calling today's attacks "Mass Slaugher".
It has just been the deadliest assault since the start of the U.S.-led invasion.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:00 pm
It's terrible, absolutely terrible.

Note to blatham: I was a bit over the top in my critique of the book you referenced. I appreciate that you have a quite different point of view about the military action we are taking in Iraq.

To be fair to Ricks, he at least states that his goal is for the U.S. to win in Iraq, (and not to cut from Iraq).

Clearly, the Sunnis are unwilling to cede any power to the Shiites or northern Turkish factions through the constitutional process. It is a foregone conclusion that Iran is lending a helping hand to the increased level of violence (to distract U.S. from their nuclear ambitions).
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:02 pm
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
The best reply to the title of this thread "Who Lost Iraq" is still the same answer: Saddam Hussein lost Iraq.

It wasn't the answer that the anti-war posters were looking for. Yes, I did realize that, but that's my answer.

And you boast about it.

I can take that as your vote for Saddam Hussein?
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:13 pm
blatham wrote:
Come on, MC. I have (dwindling) hopes you'll take some care with these matters. Your response immediately above re the title of this thread just avoids the discussion/debate that leads up this thread...that is, the AEI and neoconservative individuals who designed and pushed the policy ideas which provided impetus and rational for the project of attacking Iraq who now seek to attribute blame for the negative progress of the project. Those people aren't anti-war.

Please try a bit harder.

There are two ways of seeing the current situation in Iraq. One way is to see the increase levels of violence and the call to end the "Iraq Quagmire" as proof of Bush incompetency and confirmation that toppling Saddam was in itself, too consequential in its destablizing influence on the ME.

The other way of seeing the current levels of violence in Iraq is to appreciate the increased violence, not as proof that the Iraq invasion was a mistake, but as a condition which must be countered with decisive military measures, including confronting Iran and preventing further bloodshed in the short run, while steering the factions toward a resolution to share power. I stop short of Biden's suggestion to geographically divide Iraq into three separate provinces or countries, because that will just provide the Sunnis and the Iranians with more well-defined targets.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:50 pm
spendius wrote:
McTag wrote-

Quote:

You think so? Well, I suppose all the news outlets from just about every country in the world could be wrong.
Tell you what though, if you think they are, there are some bargain holidays available to Baghdad at the moment. Take some of your friends along, and impress them too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:52 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:

And you boast about it.

I can take that as your vote for Saddam Hussein?

You can take it as my suggestion that the cure is worse than the malady.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:58 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The Fifth column is well represented in, and well served by, the Fourth Estate. Like it or not, that's one of the prices of a free press within a free society.

Weasel words, Timber. The press, and individuals writing there, have a right and a duty to analyse and criticise.
Would you prefer to be served by something like Pravda in the Krushchev era, to toe the party line and support the government?

The critics, by the way, far from being a Fifth Column, will claim to be the true patriots here.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 02:02 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
blatham wrote:

Please try a bit harder.

There are two ways of seeing the current situation in Iraq. One way is to see the increase levels of violence and the call to end the "Iraq Quagmire" as proof of Bush incompetency and confirmation that toppling Saddam was in itself, too consequential in its destablizing influence on the ME.

The other way of seeing the current levels of violence in Iraq is to appreciate the increased violence, not as proof that the Iraq invasion was a mistake, but as a condition which must be countered with decisive military measures, including confronting Iran and preventing further bloodshed in the short run, while steering the factions toward a resolution to share power. I stop short of Biden's suggestion to geographically divide Iraq into three separate provinces or countries, because that will just provide the Sunnis and the Iranians with more well-defined targets.

What decisive military measures are you referring to?

If you think there were any credible and productive military measures available to the commanders on the ground, they would not take them?
What do you know that they don't?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 02:27 pm
McTag wrote-

Quote:
You think so? Well, I suppose all the news outlets from just about every country in the world could be wrong.

I didn't say they were wrong.

But by continually focussing on dramatic events for your entertainment, and to make their reputations, they give a distorted picture of a nation. In fact they give a distorted picture of everything. Scenes in Africa are much closer to "chaos" than scenes from Iraq.

Quote:
Tell you what though, if you think they are, there are some bargain holidays available to Baghdad at the moment. Take some of your friends along, and impress them too.

I have been to Baghdad. But I don't know what that sarcastic remark is meant to mean.

Iraq is not in chaos. Nowhere near. That in no way underestimates the horrors we have brought to us.

Quote:
You can take it as my suggestion that the cure is worse than the malady.

You don't know what the malady was and is so how you say that is nothing to do with reality. And Mr Bush is not in the business of making suggestions. And he was elected and supported by overwhelming votes in the Senate and Congress as was Mr Blair in Parliament as also the governments of the other 30 odd members of the coalition.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 02:47 pm
McTag wrote-

Quote:
Weasel words, Timber. The press, and individuals writing there, have a right and a duty to analyse and criticise.

For sure.

It is how the viewer or reader take their reports. Out of proportion or otherwise. To blithely assume that someone who keeps things in proportion is not as horrified as you at tonight's scenes is arrogant and also wrong.
0 Replies