Abscess tooth or not?

Treya

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:07 pm
Arrgh... just frustrated and need to vent. Last week I had this pain in my left ear, jaw, and neck. Ok, I'm grinding bad at night, I thought. Then I realized it was actually feeling just like last time a few months ago when that back tooth abscessed. Anti-biotics took care of it. So I made an appointment to get it pulled, and went to the doctor and got some penicillin. Now... wouldn't you know the minute I had that bottle of meds in my hand the pain mysteriously disappeared?

No problem, I've been taking it anyway, as prescribed, and waiting for tomorrows appointment to see if it would need to be pulled or not. This morning I think to myself, "Gee, maybe it was because of my grinding at night..." Within a minute I get this low throb in my left jaw area. It steadily increases all day long, and now has begun to swell. Yes, the left side of my face is starting to look like a flippin chipmunk. What the heck? ZERO pain for almost four days and then in less than 12 hrs I'm ready to hit myself over the head so I can knock myself out and get away from the pain for a little while at least.

Nothing is even touching this. The last time I took motrin is when the swelling started. This is so messed up. I hope if it is a tooth, they will still be able to pull it. I don't think I can endure this for much longer. And dang! Who wants to walk around looking like a half chipmunk half human? Not me! Ok. Done venting. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 6
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:10 pm
Oh no!! Any fever with that swelling? Have you tried an ice pack?
Good luck with tomorrows appointment. Let us know!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:22 pm
Actually I haven't taken my fever since the swelling started. Hmm... I did take it right before it started though and it was the normal 1 degree colder than the rest of the world. Thanks marty. I will beg and plead if necessary for them to remove it or give me some heavy duty drugs man... I think tooth pain is the worst pain I remember ever feeling. Even worse than the bones I've broken.

What worries me is this isn't like the other time when I had a tooth abscess. Then it was a really bad headache coupled with feeling like someone was stabbing a knife into my tooth. This time... I seriously feel like someone punched me in the side of the jaw. The pain is as bad, but not as centered. It's just kind of... everywhere...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:38 pm
Actually I take that back. It's not so much "pain" as pressure. I feel like my jaw is going to explode. Arrgh. I'm going to bed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:45 am
hep- Is your tooth sensitive to heat? That is usually a sign of an abcess.

Hey girl, you have been going through a lot of grief right now. It is possible that the teeth grinding has irritated, inflamed, or even infected something. Get thee to a dentist, quick!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
1 hr 45 min left to wait....

tick...

tock...

tick...

tock...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:51 pm
I made it though the removal of my tooth ok, and it feels SOO much better! My jaw is still pretty swollen because the infection moved into my bone apparently. Hopefully finishing out the rest of my antibiotics will take care of that. I feel like a new woman though. Smile *sigh*
0 Replies