Are the elderly treated differently in hospitals?

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
It very well could have easily been a PRN medication.
PRN's you essentially HAVE to ask for. And since she has no mental issues, more then likely, they were waiting for her to speak up about it.

Usually.. pain meds are given on a regular basis for the first week after surgery.. not always..

So, that could have been the issue right there.

And, from the nurses station-
They knew she didn't have alzheimers, dementia.. etc. so they did not think that they had to check in on her as they would other patients.
When you are told by the doctor, the charge nurse, and anyone else that a new patient is elderly, but able to care for themselves, and ask for what they need, you turn your little bit of free time to those who can not.

Im sure it was not an abuse of power, time, or true negligence..
though it can feel that way.

I do find it strange however, that she had a broken hip, and noone checked on her.

Does.. or did she I should say, have a catheter?
Or was she expected to go to the bathroom by herself?
And why were they not there on the every 2 hour rounds?
Even the aides should have been there.
SOMEONE..

but, yet again, I know for a fact how over worked nurses can be, and just from what you explain, I would bet it was just a simple misunderstanding on a nurse who was spread way to thin.

Im glad your grandmother is ok now.

I don't think it was intentional - I honestly think they were just very busy - however - it doesn't make me feel much better that she was in so much pain.

She did have a catheter and she wasn't able to move on her own as the surgery was so recent. After I talked with the nurse - she did get some medication, and then got some one else to help move her as she was uncomfortable in her current position - her position added to her pain.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I've noticed that just one cranky and demanding patient can disrupt the routine for the entire floor. Of course this shouldn't happen, but hospital life is not always ideal.

I think this could have been as well. While my husband and I were there, one person kept calling the nurses several times - in the hallway it displays on an overhead the room number and name of the person calling.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
Squeaky wheels get the grease.

Unfortunately Old Fashioned Gentlewomen would rather suffer than make a fuss.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
Miller wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Oh she had already been prescribed pain medication, they just didn't give her any that day. She had been given some the previous day when my mom was with her.

Excessive dosing of the elderly with specific drug classes may terminate their lives. Perhaps the RNs were just being professional by not over dosing the elderly woman.

The nurses are not supposed to second guess the doctors. If a patient is allotted a certain amount of medication, she is supposed to get it if she wants it. The exception would be if the nurses noticed something amiss with the patient, and then she would be obliged to tell the doctor immediately.

A truly caring nurse would check up on a post-op patient from time to time, and ask the patient if she needs anything for pain.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:10 pm
Sadly, you can have the biggest heart in the world as a nurse, but not enough time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:10 pm
I wish that a lot of these hospitals would get into the 21st century. A few years ago, I had a minor operation. I was attached to a pump which delivered pain medication. The machine was calibrated so that I would not take more than the alotted dose, in the prescribed amount of time. When I needed pain relief, I just pushed a button.

I suppose that the machine was costly, but it certainly saved wear and tear on the nurses, and my rear end! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:19 pm
After my biopsy last August, I was reminded by the doctor and two different nurses that you should take pain medication before the pain dominates your entire being.

You use a lot less pain medication by anticipating the need for it.

The last time my femur broke, I went to the hospital on Monday and the leg wasn't set until Thursday morning. Two what I assume were assistant practical nurses seemed to have no idea of how immobile you can be with a broken hip.

By Thursday morning they were much wiser.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:16 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
After my biopsy last August, I was reminded by the doctor and two different nurses that you should take pain medication before the pain dominates your entire being.

You use a lot less pain medication by anticipating the need for it.

Wich is usually why, after a major procedure espically if the patient remains in the hospital for longer then2 or 3 days, their medicines are generally distributed to them, every few hours.

Wich I find strange that it didn't happen to Linkat's grandmother..

but, I m no doc.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:39 pm
Is there any way you can file a complaint with the quality assurance dept at this hospital? This sounds like a very unfortunate situation for your dear grandmother. I'm sure if the hospital wants to keep a certain reputation for providing quality care they'd be willing to change protocol or put in place some educational opportunities for the staff to prevent this from occurring again.
I certainly would hope that the personell doesn't discriminate against their elderly patients but if my parents were hospitalized I'd make sure they have pictures of family posted on their beds and nightstands. This way, if my parent were unresponsive, the staff could realize that this is not just a patient but someones loved one.
I don't understand why family weren't notified unless your grandmother signed her own permits and consented to the surgery herself. Does she have a power of attourney?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:40 pm
Linkat wrote:
Miller wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I can only guess that she had been given a P.R.N. (as needed)prescription for the medication. When there was no one around to make a noise, the nurses didn't bother. What a shame!

If the patient didn't say she was in pain, were the RNs supposed to read her mind?

Unless you were a complete idiot, it was quite apparent she was in pain. She was crying for God's sake.

No, it's never apparent that an elderly person is in pain. Some act as if they are in pain, because they're senile. Is your gandmother senile? There is a pain scale, and normally with someone not senile it is applicable.

You seem to think that the RNs are the problem, I on the other hand think you were the problem. You have no idea what medical practice in any hospital is really like, until you've worked in that specific environment. You moreover, know nothing about geriatrics.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:44 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
You have to hunt down a nurse for pain meds after a hip fracture? They should have been in there routinely asking if she was comfortable and did she need anything. At which point, they would have found out that she was in pain. If you are in the hospital for three days, it doesn't take a brain surgen to know that the injury is quite bad.

Medical malpractice anyone?

BM!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Part of the problem might have been nursing support staff who were either overworked or poorly trained.

You're probably right, at least in the case of a Boston area hospital.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:50 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

A truly caring nurse would check up on a post-op patient from time to time, and ask the patient if she needs anything for pain.[/color][/b]

If of course, he or she had the time. Try caring for 5-6 patients on a post-surgical ward and you might get the drift of the problem.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:52 pm
Miller- I hope that you are never old, in a hospital, and ignored by the nurses when you are in pain.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:53 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

The nurses are not supposed to second guess the doctors.

Perhaps, but they do and incidentally to the benefit of the patient. Many a patient's life has been saved, because an RN knew more than a hospital intern or resident.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Miller- I hope that you are never old, in a hospital, and ignored by the nurses when you are in pain.

I speak from years of medical, clinical and hospital experience.
Do you? Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:58 pm
I speak from many years of living, having numerous trips to the hospital, both for myself and other people.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:11 pm
Miller, I'm I guessing you're an RN? I work in a hospital setting and it's hard to hear about peoples bad experiences and how one interaction with a bad RN, RT, MD gives the rest of us a bad name.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:14 pm
There is no doubt in my mind that nurses, for the most part, are overworked. They only have so much time to spend with each patient. I also know that some nurses, even with the overwork, will go out of their way to give each patient the care that they need. There are others who don't give a sh!t, and do the least that they are able to get away with. Most fall somewhere in the middle. I have had experiences with all three types.

That is why it is so important for a concerned family member be very visible at the hospital, to make sure that their loved one is not being given the short end of the stick. It is especially important when the patient is elderly, and cannot always speak up for themselves.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:27 pm
I feel very fortunate to work in the environment that I do. We are in a specialized lab that performs non-surgical interventions with 4 MD's(they rotate between vacation and another hospital)5 RN's and 10 RT's. I'm greatful to know that each of us treat our patients as if we are treating our own family members and our patients constantly comment on how pleasant we are and how well we work as a team.
The situation with your grandmother saddens me. She deserved better care!
0 Replies