When does bias cause problems?

Scrat

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
I thought I would start another discussion on media bias where perhaps we can keep it cordial and have a real discussion of the topic without the rancor that tends to make substantive discussion impossible.

Since there seems to be a general consensus that some amount of bias in reporting is inevitable, the question is simple: When is biased reporting something with which we should be concerned, and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,251 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:48 am
Why is it you seem unable to post without inferring that so many others in this forum are boors -- incapable of having a discussion without resorting to rancor?

Why are you so judgemental of others -- and so quick to be offended if people are judgemental of you?

Why are you participating in discussions among adults in an internet discussion forum when you seem to want to be lecturing kindergarteners about decorum?

When you have the answers to those questions, perhaps you will have some legitimate reason for asking about media bias and its impact on us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:57 am
I'll give a short answer:

Bias causes problems when news organizations are consolodated to the point that opposing viewpoints (biases) are not allowed to flourish.

http://www.moveon.org/stopthefcc/
http://www.moveon.org/news/1441.html
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:10 am
Media bias is a problem when wealthy people with agendas can control media corporations and disseminate news with a bias in every newspaper, journal, TV and radio news show under that domain.

Fill in blanks as you wish...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:20 am
Re: When does bias cause problems?
Scrat wrote:
Since there seems to be a general consensus that some amount of bias in reporting is inevitable, the question is simple: When is biased reporting something with which we should be concerned, and why?

I don't think there's a general consensus to begin with. For what it's worth, I disagree because some media outlets manage to do a very good job keeping their reporting and their political opinion seperate. On the liberal side, the NY Times and the BBC come to mind. On the conservative side, we have the London Times , the German Frankfurter Allgemeine, and the Wall Street Journal.

I get concerned about biased reporting when it succeeds at convincing a large share of a nation's population that the reporter's political opinion is a fact, and the facts contradicting his opinion are propaganda. For example, income inequality has soared back to its Guilded Age level since the mid seventies. That's a measurable fact, but when I mention this to my Republican friends, their typical reaction is to treat it as a devastating critique of supply-side economics in general and Ronald Reagan in particular. They also tend to accuse me of class warfare. When media propaganda has this effect, I get worried.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Why is it you seem unable to post without inferring that so many others in this forum are boors -- incapable of having a discussion without resorting to rancor?

Frank, you might want to look at the end of Scrat's conservative bias thread. The thread ended in a lot of hostility. Much of that hostility was directed at Scrat, and it was mostly unwarranted in my humble opinion.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 12:04 pm
Re: When does bias cause problems?
Thomas wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
]Why is it you seem unable to post without inferring that so many others in this forum are boors -- incapable of having a discussion without resorting to rancor?

Frank, you might want to look at the end of Scrat's conservative bias thread. The thread ended in a lot of hostility. Much of that hostility was directed at Scrat, and it was mostly unwarranted in my humble opinion.

-- Thomas

I appreciate that comment, Thomas, and I will take your word for the fact that the hostility was there -- and that it was unwarranted.

But I cannot remember a poster who comments on this aspect of Internet forum activity as often as does Scrat. She seems to be obssessed with it -- and in my opinion, seems to generate much of it as a result of unintended consequenses.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:21 pm
[ot] Frank, look at your first reply. That's what scrat is talking about. If you can't comment on the thread topic civily, don't comment at all. [/ot]

I think much of the bias stems from the fact that humans run the press. As long as an editor looks at a written peice by a reporter, you have 2 levels of bias.

The first level is the reporter level. They write the facts down as they see them. The editor then looks at the report with their bias and edit it to fit their idea of factual information. Editors are hired by managment who are hired by the owners, so you get to throw in 2 more levels of bias.

That is my opinion, anyway.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
[ot] Frank, look at your first reply. That's what scrat is talking about. If you can't comment on the thread topic civily, don't comment at all. [/ot]

McGentrix

How about you not telling me what I can comment on and what I can't?

Can't you be civil?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:49 pm
Frank, how about removing your head from your ass and quit trying to cause trouble.

Quote:
Can't you be civil?

whoops, guess not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:56 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Frank, how about removing your head from your ass and quit trying to cause trouble.

Quote:
Can't you be civil?

whoops, guess not.

So, how's that "Saving the World" project going, McG?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:09 pm
Snood, my guess is that it hits a few snags from time to time, but not from a lack of enthusiasm.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
Yikes - good beginning - not.

I think bias is a problem where there are not alternative biases to choose from - or where one bias dominates the media available to people so much that there is an effective hegemony.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:31 pm
Bunny's last post means, when there is Rupert Murdoch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:39 pm
And Kerry Packer, here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:42 pm
Ahem.

sozobe wrote:
I'll give a short answer:

Bias causes problems when news organizations are consolodated to the point that opposing viewpoints (biases) are not allowed to flourish.

http://www.moveon.org/stopthefcc/
http://www.moveon.org/news/1441.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:44 pm
Well, in answer to the question of the thread--and thanks to Scrat for having provided the question in a neutral manner--my opinion is that bias in the media would only be a problem were one able to demonstrate that the bias was all on one side. Given that people often select the medium with which they inform themselves based upon the predilections they have already formed, i likely could not be convinced that bias in media is ever a "problem." Were there no organs for the dissemination of opinions, whether or not disguised as fact, of a certain coloring, someone would move quickly to exploit that market "niche"--this is not something for which we will ever lack, saving the rise of totalitarianism in the nation. The bias of media is only ever all of one complexion in such a state.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 07:41 pm
I agree with sozobe. There is enough consolidation among the media... Most radio stations f'r instance, are chains -- one format/viewpoint, many cities. They may sound local, but the content is canned... This FCC ruling will only make things worse.

I am lucky enough to live in a city with two daily papers, each biased in its own way. Of course, I subscribe to the one whose bias I agree with... (as well as obtaining news from a number of different sources to give me a wider viewpoint)...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 07:50 pm
The Houston Chronicle bought the Houston Post years ago and trashed it.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:52 pm
ROFLMAO! :-D Within the first three posts this thread demonstrates the complete range of rancor and constructive participation. My compliments to Scrat for at least trying.

Topic: When does bias cause problems?

I think an increasing level of bias is inevitable. As the TV generation becomes more passive and infantile, more people seem to live reactionary lives rather than proactive self-determination. The idea of participation is replaced with a gimme-gimme spectator audience, waiting for the next product to take care of their needs.

It's just a concept ... don't freak out.

We have a generation trained and well-practiced at following what they are told. This creates a large and powerful mechanism for controlling mass markets, and that pattern doesn't just sit there. People discover they can use it. Companies encourage it, marketters take advantage of it, and governments create amazing public support by tweaking it. Just because it is very powerful.

Biased reporting is here to stay, because the audience eats it right up. When does it cause problems? The problem has already occurred, before the bias actually took place! The root problem occurs when people give up their freedom by not fighting for it. When people stop thinking and stop struggling to attain their own unique, independent opinion.

Thinking for ones' self takes work (yikes!). Bias simply jumps in to fill the vacuum, and that's always a poor substitute.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, in answer to the question of the thread--and thanks to Scrat for having provided the question in a neutral manner--my opinion is that bias in the media would only be a problem were one able to demonstrate that the bias was all on one side. Given that people often select the medium with which they inform themselves based upon the predilections they have already formed, i likely could not be convinced that bias in media is ever a "problem." Were there no organs for the dissemination of opinions, whether or not disguised as fact, of a certain coloring, someone would move quickly to exploit that market "niche"--this is not something for which we will ever lack, saving the rise of totalitarianism in the nation. The bias of media is only ever all of one complexion in such a state.

Setanta - A very good, very reasonable answer. Without disagreeing with it out of hand--which is not my intent--I would like to pose a follow-up question...

I want to pose this as a hypothetical, but will use a real issue because it's simply easier for me that way. (I would ask everyone to resist the urge to argue the issue, but rather consider the question regarding bias, not the issue itself.)

Consider media coverage of global warming. Assume that the science is unsettled and that 50% of the current data lends you to each conclusion. If 75% of reporters hold the personal opinion that global warming is occurring, is man-made and should be fixed, and as a result, 75% of reporting leans towards that opinion, might that bias be sufficient to effect public opinion, leading us to undertake policies and actions based not on the scientific data, but on the flawed view of that data we most often encounter?

Sorry if I didn't frame this hypothetical well--it's late and I'm exhausted. Hopefully most of you will see where I'm going well enough to express an opinion on my train of thought. Cool
0 Replies