60 Minutes' Ed Bradley has died

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:21 am
60 Minutes' Ed Bradley has died of leukemia.

So sad; I admired him.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,141 • Replies: 23
No top replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
Wow. - He was sort of an icon.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:24 am
damn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:24 am
BBB
snood wrote:
Wow. - He was sort of an icon.

And a genuinely nice person, something rare among TV stars.

BBB Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:25 am
I think of him as being so vigorous -- one of those "does not compute" deaths.

Sigh.

Very cool guy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
Quote:
Pioneer African-American Journalist Ed Bradley Dead at 65

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 9, 2006; 12:22 PM

Ed Bradley, the veteran "60 Minutes" correspondent and one of the pioneering black journalists of his generation, died today of leukemia. He was 65.

Bradley, who had won 19 Emmy awards, covered an incredible array of stories after joining the CBS newsmagazine in 1981, from brain cancer to sexual abuse in the Catholic Church to the high school shootings at Columbine.

He also reported a number of award-winning documentaries, covered political conventions and filled in on the "CBS Evening News" and other programs.

Bradley remained active on "60 Minutes," but he had been ill for some time and underwent heart surgery about a year ago.

"He was this gentle giant," said Bob Schieffer, CBS's chief Washington correspondent and a close friend. "He just did so much for so many African-American kids. He was a great role model."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:35 am
He was an icon... and will doubtless be missed...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
What a shame. He was a great guy, and a wonderful reporter. I HAD noticed recently that he looked a bit wan.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
We will miss you, Ed, but you have left us a great legacy:

http://img.verycd.com/posts/0512/post-342195-1134356422.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:53 am
It was apparent that he was ill. He'd gotten so thin and looked quite old. But back in the day, he was such a fine "take no ****" kind of man. Remember when he used to wear the little gold hoop earring? Who ever heard of such a thing? A male journalist? Wearing an earring? Be still my heart.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3505/edbradleyeb3.png

He will be missed.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:26 pm
Back when corporate scandals were daily headline fare, a joke going around went something like:

Q. What does a CEO most dread hearing his secretary announce?

A. "Sir, there's a Mr. Bradley here, and he'd like to tape an interview with you ... "
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:34 pm
A well respected and admired journalist. He will be missed.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:52 pm
Re: 60 Minutes' Ed Bradley has died
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

So sad; I admired him.

BBB

He was 65 years of age.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:00 pm
In my mind, he was most like an Edward R Murrow, a man of integrity.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:20 pm
Re: 60 Minutes' Ed Bradley has died
Miller wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

So sad; I admired him.

BBB

He was 65 years of age.

Question
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:28 pm
Mr. Bradley shone as a broadcast journalist because of a deep, resonate voice, which he employed in a measured and articulate manner. He didn't rely upon gimic, but solid journalistic technique, with which he relentlessly pursued the story. Because he was so well-spoken, because he projected his professional skills so well before the camera, because both his good-humor and his no-nonsense approach to each story he did shone through in every segment of his which was broadcast, he wasn't a great African-American journalist, he was one of the greatest broadcast journalists of his lifetime, period.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:22 pm
Lena Horne
In 1981, Ed Bradley strolled hand-in-hand across a New York street with singer Lena Horne as part of a story about making it in a white-dominated world.

This is one of my favorite Ed Bradley interviews. I know it was Bradley's favorite, too.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:23 pm
I just heard this.

He'll be greatly missed. Partly for his skills as a fine journalist. Partly for being fine (which helped me tune in to 60 Minutes sometimes).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:40 pm
He was a Philly kid. When I was growing up I used to listen to jazz rom WDAS and WHAT, two mainly black stations in Philly. THE BEST JAZZ ON THE PLANET. Ed Bradley would fill in for guys like Sid Mark, and Lou Rawls . All guys with sonorous voices. Ed would do the "Ray Charles and Me from 2:30 to 3, every afternoon) I was in ad placement 11th grade so I hadda lotta time to cut and tune in on this new fangled stuff called FM.
I think Bradley frist made his news appearance as a shuffle-around when a bunch of Big Town stations needed replacements as star reporters were being sent over to Nam.

"Evenin sounds with Philly's own Ed Bradley"
Hed have interviews with Jimmy Smith , Sonny Stitt, even Miles would come on when he was in town.

Alas, Philly and the jazz scene of that town is but a memory of my yout.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:50 pm
Quote:
he wasn't a great African-American journalist, he was one of the greatest broadcast journalists of his lifetime, period.

I think of him as both.
0 Replies