Karl Rove on the elections

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:32 am
KARL ROVE: I see several things; first, unlike the general public, I'm allowed to see the polls on the individual races and after all this does come down to individual contests between individual candidates. Second of all, I see the individual spending reports and contribution reports. [..]

SIEGEL: We are in the home stretch though and many would consider you on the optimistic end of realism about...

ROVE: Not that you would exhibit a bias, you just making a comment.

SIEGEL: I'm looking at all the same polls that you are looking at.

ROVE: No, you are not. I'm looking at 68 polls a week for candidates for the US House and US Senate, and Governor and you may be looking at 4-5 public polls a week that talk attitudes nationally.

SIEGEL: I don't want to have you to call races...

ROVE: I'm looking at all of these Robert and adding them up. I add up to a Republican Senate and Republican House. You may end up with a different math but you are entitled to your math and I'm entitled to THE math.

SIEGEL: I don't know if we're entitled to a different math but your...

ROVE: I said THE math.

October 24, 2006, Karl Rove on why he believes the Republicans will keep the House and Senate despite polls to the contrary, in an interview airing today on NPR's All Things Considered
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 540 • Replies: 17
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:43 am
This is very funny and I enjoyed it. Thank you Nimh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
Oh my...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:57 am
That's almost as prescient as the administration's take on how the iraq war would go. How do they come by these amazing extrasensory powers?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:57 am
I guess its back to THE drawing board, huh?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:03 am
I am rejoicing over the results of the election because they will - if not bring in a new era of policies - at least succesfully block much of the Bush admin's disastrous policies. And, of course, because a lot of very capable-looking people have been voted in who have more of a heart than the DeLay/Limbaugh type conservatives.

But there are also more petty indulgencies. And if there was one quote in the entire campaign that really stood out for me as the single one that made me most yearn for repudiation, or simply payback, it was this one.

It's just such a singular example of that vile combination of hubris and bullying that has so marked the Bush political machine. Rove, in this remarks, personfied the full boorishness of it.

And now there he is.

Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:04 am
snood wrote:
I guess its back to THE drawing board, huh?

Razz
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:40 am
Much as I yearn for payback, and believe me I'd LOVE to see the Reps get a taste of their own medicine, I'm hoping that we can pull our democracy back from the brink of ruin with LESS partisanship and more bipartisan cooperation. Perhaps it's a forlorn hope, but maybe the parties will now put aside the vitriol, stop believing it's all about THEM and start focussing on what's best for the country and for the American people.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:53 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Much as I yearn for payback, and believe me I'd LOVE to see the Reps get a taste of their own medicine, I'm hoping that we can pull our democracy back from the brink of ruin with LESS partisanship and more bipartisan cooperation. Perhaps it's a forlorn hope, but maybe the parties will now put aside the vitriol, stop believing it's all about THEM and start focussing on what's best for the country and for the American people.

Just my opinion but I see this election as a move to the middle. A return to western conservatism (fiscal/smaller government/less intrusive) and a step back from southern conservatism (religionist/moral majority) I think this is vera positive. I also like the idea of gridlock between the congress and the presidency.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
Others have their eyes open too.. TNR's The Plank today neatly juxtaposed the above quote from Rove from last month with how he describes his pre-election insights now..:

Quote:
And here's Rove after the elections in an interview with Time's Mike Allen:

"My job is not to be a prognosticator," he said. "My job is not to go out there and wring my hands and say, 'We're going to lose.' I'm looking at the data and seeing if I can figure out, Where can we be? I told the President, 'I don't know where this is going to end up. But I see our way clear to Republican control.' "

Yeah. He was just saying, 'I don't know where this is going to end up.' The whole thing where he went, you know:

"nlike the general public, I'm allowed to see the polls on the individual races [..] I'm looking at all of these [..] and adding them up. I add up to a Republican Senate and Republican House. You may end up with a different math but you are entitled to your math and I'm entitled to THE math."

That thing? Eh, fuhgeddaboutit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:25 pm
nimh wrote:
Others have their eyes open too.. TNR's The Plank today neatly juxtaposed the above quote from Rove from last month with how he describes his pre-election insights now..:

Quote:
And here's Rove after the elections in an interview with Time's Mike Allen:

"My job is not to be a prognosticator," he said. "My job is not to go out there and wring my hands and say, 'We're going to lose.' I'm looking at the data and seeing if I can figure out, Where can we be? I told the President, 'I don't know where this is going to end up. But I see our way clear to Republican control.' "

Yeah. He was just saying, 'I don't know where this is going to end up.' The whole thing where he went, you know:

"nlike the general public, I'm allowed to see the polls on the individual races [..] I'm looking at all of these [..] and adding them up. I add up to a Republican Senate and Republican House. You may end up with a different math but you are entitled to your math and I'm entitled to THE math."

That thing? Eh, fuhgeddaboutit.

You've been harping on this for a couple of days now Nimh. Did it really bother you that much that someone in Rove's position wouldn't come out and discuss how his party might lose instead of portraying a confident image of victory to the media?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:30 pm
Harping? McG - come on, HARPING?!?

Two days since the biggest upheaval in our government in 12 years, and two days is harping?

Thicken that skin, son - it ain't even begun....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:56 pm
snood wrote:

Two days since the biggest upheaval in our government in 12 years, and two days is harping?

You continue to show up in threads uninvited and spewing about stuff you obviously aren't bothering to read.

Is that really all you want your participation on A2K to be?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You continue to show up in threads uninvited.....

These days you need an invitation to show up in an A2K thread?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Did it really bother you that much that someone in Rove's position wouldn't come out and discuss how his party might lose instead of portraying a confident image of victory to the media?

"Portraying a confident image"? Is that how you call that? He was being a boor and a bully.

That alone would have been worthy of a head-shaking cluck and chuckle in itself, once he'd gotten egg on his face. But the other thing is that his attempt at browbeating the journalist with that typical hubris of his, was also so completely representative of the Bush style of governing, and the Rimbaugh style of politicking. Rove c.s. sure managed to intimidate the press into cowedness in this way for a coupla years there (and shame on the press for that).

Like I said, there's many stupid and ugly things that were said and done even just in the last couple months of campaigning, but out of all of them, this one Rove quote just stood out for me as the most symbolic/representative of it all. Of everything I find boorish and bullying about this decade's power-conservatives.

As for "harping on" about this - really? I count all of three posts of mine here on this subject. Hell, thats less than you spend insulting some fellow poster or other on any random given day.

McGentrix wrote:
You continue to show up in threads uninvited

And you were invited here?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:25 pm
nimh wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Did it really bother you that much that someone in Rove's position wouldn't come out and discuss how his party might lose instead of portraying a confident image of victory to the media?

"Portraying a confident image"? Is that how you call that? He was being a boor and a bully.

That alone would have been worthy of a head-shaking cluck and chuckle in itself, once he'd gotten egg on his face. But the other thing is that his attempt at browbeating the journalist with that typical hubris of his, was also so completely representative of the Bush style of governing, and the Rimbaugh style of politicking. Rove c.s. sure managed to intimidate the press into cowedness in this way for a coupla years there (and shame on the press for that).

Like I said, there's many stupid and ugly things that were said and done even just in the last couple months of campaigning, but out of all of them, this one Rove quote just stood out for me as the most symbolic/representative of it all. Of everything I find boorish and bullying about this decade's power-conservatives.

As for "harping on" about this - really? I count all of three posts of mine here on this subject. Hell, thats less than you spend insulting some fellow poster or other on any random given day.

McGentrix wrote:
You continue to show up in threads uninvited

And you were invited here?

Nimh, it's Karl Rove. Did you really expect anything less then hubris and talk pointing towards a republican win? What do you think his job actually is?

Maybe harping wasn't a good choice, or maybe I have become so selective in who's posts I read here anymore that all I have been left with is yours and they seem to jump out at me, but it sure seems like you have beaten that horse to death.

and yes, I received a nice gilded invitation and then I took the time to read what was here instead of running off half-cocked about what has been posted here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:30 pm
snood wrote:

Actually, as an impartial observer from a faraway place ( :wink: ), I must say that the response from "the left" here has been quite restrained, really. This is in striking contrast to the harping & crowing from the other side after the last vote. I suspect that this is because most people desperately want the US back on track, for these terrible, ugly political times to finally (please!) be over. So much damage was done in such a short time under the Bush leadership. Why focus on stupid fighting when so much serious work is to be done?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:21 pm
You're right of course, M'solga...
I was having a hard time with the hypocritically bitter and unconvincingly smug, but there is definitely plenty else to occupy our thoughts now...
0 Replies