IT'S HINGLISH, INNIT ?.....................

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:38 am
IT'S HINGLISH, INNIT?

Hinglish - a hybrid of English and south Asian languages, used both in Asia and the UK - now has its own dictionary. Is it really a pukka way to speak?

Are you a "badmash"? And if you had to get somewhere in a hurry, would you make an "airdash"? Maybe you should be at your desk working, instead you're reading this as a "timepass".

These are examples of Hinglish, in which English and the languages of south Asia overlap, with phrases and words borrowed and re-invented.

It's used on the Indian sub-continent, with English words blending with Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi, and also within Britain Asian families to enliven standard English.

A dictionary of the hybrid language has been gathered by Baljinder Mahal, a Derby-based teacher and published this week as The Queen's Hinglish.

"Much of it comes from banter - the exchanges between the British white population and the Asians," she says.

"It's also sometimes a secret language, which is being used by lots of British Asians, but it's never been picked up on."

And in multi-cultural playgrounds, she now hears white pupils using Asian words, such as "kati", meaning "I'm not your friend any more". For the young are linguistic magpies, borrowing from any language, accent or dialect that seems fashionable.

And the dictionary identifies how the ubiquitous "innit" was absorbed into British Asian speech via "haina" - a Hindi tag phrase, stuck on the sentences and meaning "is no?"......................................CONT'D...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6122072.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,021 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:41 am
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/HINGLISH.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:50 am
...."It's also the language of globalisation. There are more English-speakers in India than anywhere else in the world - and satellite television, movies and the internet mean that more and more people in the sub-continent are exposed to both standard English and Hinglish.

This collision of languages has generated some flavoursome phrases. If you're feeling "glassy" it means you need a drink. And a "timepass" is a way of distracting yourself.

A hooligan is a "badmash" and if you need to bring a meeting forward, you do the opposite of postponing - in Hinglish you can "prepone".

There are also some evocatively archaic phrases - such as "stepney", which in south Asia is used to mean a spare, as in spare wheel, spare mobile or even, "insultingly, it must be said, a mistress," says Ms Mahal.

Its origins aren't in Stepney, east London, but Stepney Street in Llanelli, Wales, where a popular brand of spare tyre was once manufactured

But don't assume that familiar Asian words used in the UK will necessarily translate back. "Balti" will probably be taken to mean bucket in India rather than a type of cooking, as this cuisine owes more to the west Midlands than south Asia.

In south Asia, Hinglish has been given a modern, fashionable spin by its use on music channels and in advertising. And it's appeared in the UK on programmes such as Goodness Gracious Me and the Kumars at Number 42, with a catchphrase about "chuddies" (underpants).

IMPORTED FROM INDIA .....Pyjamas, caravan, bungalow, Doolally, cushy, dinghy, Pundit, thug

The exporting of words into English has also caught the attention of the south Asian media, with the Times of India reporting: "Brand India has shaken, stirred and otherwise Bangalored the world's consciousness." Yes, "to Bangalore" is another Hinglishism, meaning to send overseas, as in call centres.

The arrival of Hinglish and the influence of Indian words on English are also a reflection of the rise of the Indian sub-continent as an economic power-house.

Language expert David Crystal has described India as having a "unique position in the English-speaking world".

"[It's a] linguistic bridge between the major first-language dialects of the world, such as British and American English, and the major foreign-language varieties, such as those emerging in China and Japan."

But there are much older crossovers between English and the languages of the Indian sub-continent, with many words imported from the soldiers and administrators of the British Raj.

These borrowed words include "pundit", originally meaning a learned man; "shampoo", derived from a word for massage; "pyjamas", meaning a leg garment and "dungarees", originating from the Dungri district of Mumbai.

Even the suburban-sounding "caravan" and "bungalow" - and the funky "bandana" and "bangles" were all taken from Hindi words......"
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:33 am
Smile Yep - been using Hinglish all my life !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:31 am
I love it, find myself squelching the urge to use it after reading an Indian novel. The language is a big early part of what drew me in.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:35 am
Soz, I started two lives. Can you give me a link to yr thread?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:36 am
the prince wrote:
Smile Yep - been using Hinglish all my life !

So you're pukka, innit!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:38 am
Seems to start here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2231267#2231267

Gets spoiler-ish by the third post down or so though, so be careful if you've just started.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:53 am
Quote:
The Hinglish-speaking world

Patrick Barkham
Monday November 6, 2006
The Guardian

More people speak English in south Asia than in Britain and North America combined. The result is Hinglish, a blend of English combined with Hindi, Urdu and Punjabi. Baljinder K Mahal, a teacher and novelist from Derby, has collected a dictionary of the choicest words: the Queen's Hinglish: How to Speak Pukka (Collins).

air-dash to travel by air at short notice

chamcha 1. a spoon 2. a lackey; an obsequious person; a sycophant. Thought to derive from the charge that native south Asians using cutlery were trying to ingratiate themselves with westerners

desi authentically south Asian, eg, "Most desis had either black, blue or silver Beemers" (Londonstani by Gautam Malkani)

doosra 1. second, eg, "You need to take the doosra turn on the left." 2. (cricket) a delivery bowled by an off-spinner that turns the opposite way from an off-break

eve-teasing the sexual harassment of women, especially in public

filmi melodramatic; reminiscent of a typical Indian film, eg, "You should have seen cousin Bela's wedding. It was very filmi"

ganja having no hair on head; bald, eg, "Dad's gone all ganja since he's started working at the bank"

javaani or jawani youth, eg, "My mum used to wear tight clothes in her javaani"

kitty party a gathering of women who meet regularly to host sweepstakes and exchange gossip

ladoo 1. a golfball-sized sweet. 2. affectionate term for plump child

Ranjha a male lover; a Romeo. Heer Ranjha is an epic Punjabi tale of two ill-starred lovers

stepney a spare wheel for a car; a spare of anything; a mistress. The Stepney was originally a type of spare tyre manufactured in Wales. The term died out in Britain but expanded its meaning in south Asia and Malta

yaar a friend, eg, Where's The Party, Yaar? (a 2003 film)
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:53 am
So I'm a bit ganja.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:02 am
But you are still one of my best yaars
0 Replies