Congratulations to the dems

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:27 am
OK,the Dems won the house.
Congratulations to them for winnning,and I hope they can govern as well as they can campaign.

Lets look at some numbers,and save them for future reference...

As of OCT of '06,the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed the national unemployment rate at 4.4%

At the close of business on election day,the WSJ had these numbers...

DJIA - 12156.77

Nasdaq - 2375.88

S&P 500 - 1382.84

And according to this site...http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h15/current/

The current interest rate for the week ending Nov 3 was 5.25%.

Now,I truly hope those numbers do improve over the next 2 years (remember the dems will control the purse strings during that time),so lets record these numbers and see where they go.

After all,the dems claim they can do it better,and maybe they can.
I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,488 • Replies: 84
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:10 am
What we are having is, essentially, gridlock. Something that will gather blame and public anger anew in two years. The Dems have to prove they can accomplish something positive; the Repubs have to prove they are through with fing up everything they have power over.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:48 am
I would think that progress toward balancing the budget would also be one of the big financial goals of government.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:06 am
Lets see if the Dems can do just as well as Bush did when he took the Presidency.

We could compare the numbers on election day in 2000 to what they were 2 years later.

Hmm. lets do just that..

Dow on Nov 7, 2000 - 10562
Dow 2 years later - 8586

Nasdaq on Nov 7, 2000 - 3360
Nasdaq 2 years later - 1376

S&P on Nov 2000 - 1423
S&P 2 years later - 898

Unemployment rate Oct 2000 3.6
Unemployment rate Oct 2002 5.3

Fed fund rates Oct of 2000 - 6.5%
Fed fund rates Oct of 2002 - 1.75%

So, I guess that gives a basis for how the dem congress compares to Bush.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:24 am
excellent, parados.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:10 am
Excellent? F'ing stupid is more the case snood.

Hey Parados, can you think of any event that may have caused all those numbers to drop? I doubt you have the brain power to come up with the answer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:18 am
McG,

Are you saying that there are events that politicians can't control that affect the economy? Does that make MM f**** stupid for listing economic indicators as his standard of measurement?

I suppose if there is another terrorist attack in the next 2 years you will give the dems a pass on it since obviously it would be the fault of the previous GOP congress. Right McG?

Some people can't see a trap unless you leave it wide open and a sign pointing to it saying "LARGE STAKES THAT WILL PUNCTURE YOU IF YOU ACT STUPID."
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:43 am
ROVE: I said THE math.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:47 am
Question Yeah, Parados - I guess it's only "fu*king stupid" when Dems use those numbers as indicators....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:57 am
McGentrix wrote:
Excellent? F'ing stupid is more the case snood.

Hey Parados, can you think of any event that may have caused all those numbers to drop? I doubt you have the brain power to come up with the answer.

Thinking! Hmmmm. Um, President Bush? Is that right? Do I win something?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:58 am
BBB
One person who is not getting much recognition for the Democrat victories is Howard Dean. When he became Party Chairman, he insisted that Democrats change their previous policies of not going after conservative seats. He insisted on a 50 state campaign, including recruiting candidates and financing them. The Democrat leadership followed his plan---and we won.

Thank you, Howard Dean.

BBB
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:58 am
Aw, shoot!! You hit your buzzer first! That was on the tip of my tongue!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:00 am
Yes, that's a good point. I've been curious about how his strategy would play. It's hard to isolate any single aspect as responsible for the Democratic success -- I mean, the current administration could hardly have done more to encourage a dump-the-incumbents vibe -- but at the very least it seemed to have not been a crippling strategy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:02 am
snood
snood wrote:
Aw, shoot!! You hit your buzzer first! That was on the tip of my tongue!!!

Dean has been so smeared by the Republicans and I would like to see him get the credit he deserves.

Dean also used the internet to raise a huge amount of money for the campaign. He also insisted on improving and enlarging the Democrat get out the vote plan.

BBB
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:11 am
The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner. To those of you that can graciously accept it - congratulations on you win.

At the very least, I expect to have a lot to talk about the upcoming two years.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:11 am
edgarblythe wrote:
What we are having is, essentially, gridlock. Something that will gather blame and public anger anew in two years. The Dems have to prove they can accomplish something positive; the Repubs have to prove they are through with fing up everything they have power over.

Gridlock. I've long thought that the less congress does, the better off we all are.

In any case, I'll add my congradulations. Having both houses and the presidency controlled by one party in not idea.

Howard Dean? Maybe you guys should have gotten him the nomination when it mattered. Not that I liked him, you understand, but you didn't have to depend on guesswork to know his position.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:22 am
roger wrote:
Gridlock. I've long thought that the less congress does, the better off we all are.

Amen to that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:39 am
roger wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

In any case, I'll add my congradulations. Having both houses and the presidency controlled by one party in not idea.

Howard Dean? Maybe you guys should have gotten him the nomination when it mattered. Not that I liked him, you understand, but you didn't have to depend on guesswork to know his position.

Edit: should read "is not ideal.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
Congratulations Democrats. We expected to lose some seats, but your campaigns were effective enough to win control. It was a dirty campaign waged by both Parties, but no dirtier than many in the past. I'm satisfied that no significant voting fraud took place. I'm relieved to see that many of the new Junior Democrats are centrists sharing many Conservative values with the GOP. This win will provide the Democrats with ample opportunity to demonstrate to the country that they truly can be responsible representatives. I'm sure they will be, but remain somewhat anxious that the radical wing of the Democratic Party will continue its obstructive tactics.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:25 am
Asherman wrote:

... but remain somewhat anxious that the radical wing of the Democratic Party will continue its obstructive tactics.

[snorts conptemptuously]
0 Replies