About "Bottom Line" and its Chinese Equivalent

fansy

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:51 am
When the English slang express "bottom line" is translated into "dixian" in Chinese, the Chinese expression would mean to the average Chinese, for example, "the lowest price which can be accepted" in a negotiation My question is when this idea is translated back into English, do you English or American people would understand it the way we Chinese mean? Or in other words, can "bottom line" be used to mean "the lowest price which can be accepted" in a negotiation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 682 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:08 am
Quote:
bot·tom-line
adj.
Concerned exclusively with costs and profits: bottom-line issues.
Ruthlessly realistic; pragmatic: a bottom-line political strategy.
bottomline bot'tom-line' v.

http://www.answers.com/the+bottom+line?gwp=11&ver=1.1.1.377&method=3

Literally, "the bottom line" refers to the last numbers on a business expense report. It is the amount of money that is left after all expenses are taken.

Figuratively, "the bottom line" has a number of meanings. It can be used to refer to the lowest price in a negotiation.

It can also mean the end result of a discussion. For instance, two people are talking about the merits of two restaurants. They discuss the price, ambiance, food, service etc. One person wants to know which one the other prefers, after discussing the different facets of a restaurant experience. He might say, "OK, so what's the bottom line?" Which restaurant do you like better? (After considering all the options, what is the conclusion?)
0 Replies

lydiabc

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:29 am
Dear fansy,
I dictionary I found "bottom line" means important thing.
I am puzzled about it.
0 Replies

limeincoconut

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
Hello,
New guy on the block! Laughing
This is my comment:
Bottom line - is the last set of numbers in the balance sheet in business terms. It reflects a profit or lose.

It's has nothing to do with "important things" to my knowledge.
Bottom line can be interpreted as "acceptable minimum" in a negotiation.
In a discussion, it can be used as a " closing conclusion" .

Hope that helps
0 Replies

englishnewb

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:34 pm
bottom line means the limits you can reach isn't it? They mean the same in Chinese and English...

This reminds me of another quote "Long time no see", heh... I don't think this is proper english, but o well, everyone is saying it.
0 Replies