Ted Haggard fired

talk72000

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:26 am
Shakespeare
MacBeth

Methinks the lady doth protests too much!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:55 am
what i'm wondering is whether mr haggard will continue to provide spiritual counsel to the president. Republicans must be gravely concerned about the possible disruptive effect on George Bush's leadership.

*i'm writing tongue in cheek, by the way
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:18 am
Quote:
Shakespeare
MacBeth

Talk--

Sorry, I disagree.

Hamlet.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:32 am
BBB
It's kind of sad, in a way, what has happened to this man. If there were not so much homophobia, he could have lived the life of a gay man instead of pretending he was heterosexual. He was born before there was much enlightenment about homosexuality. His shame and his hypocrisy was forced on him by the religious bigots around him.

I've always believed that closet homosexuals are attracted to religious institutions because they are taught that religion can save you, make you a good person, etc. Other types of deviant people also are attracted to religion to try to control their urges. It doesn't work, but they are trapped by their pretence. They often are the most vocal critics of homosexuality in order to hide their own.

I feel sorry for his wife and children. Not only will they learn he is not the man they thought he was, but they may also suffer at the hands of the bigots.

BBB
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:47 am
eoe wrote:
'Just in' where? Link please.

When news is breaking, it usually takes time before it is posted on the internet.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:53 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
It's kind of sad, in a way, what has happened to this man. If there were not so much homophobia, he could have lived the life of a gay man instead of pretending he was heterosexual. He was born before there was much enlightenment about homosexuality. His shame and his hypocrisy was forced on him by the religious bigots around him.

When hypocrites like this are exposed, human nature compels many of us to gloat but, yes, it is very sad what his wife and family will have to endure due to his living in the closet. Tragic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:03 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Quote:
Shakespeare
MacBeth

Talk--

Sorry, I disagree.

Hamlet.

And the proper quote is, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:04 am
"That's no lady, that's my pastor!"

With apologies to Henny Youngman.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:05 am
Quote:

His shame and his hypocrisy was forced on him by the religious bigots around him.

I don't buy this at all. He wasn't just a rank and file christian... he was at the forefront of bigotry. Haggard wasn't the victim. It was he who was forcing shame and hypocrisy on others. Whether his conservative christian upbringing was tragic is not the question.

As an adult he chose to force a doctrine of hatred on others.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. I do hope that there will be a salvation from conservative Christianity for his kids.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:16 am
I've got to agree. I know too many gay men, his age and older, living their lives openly and honestly. He's only 50. Anyone still in the closet at this age is in there because they are either in denial, don't have the balls to come out or, greedy, they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Being in the closet is not as disturbing to me as the drug use. Meth?? Geez. That's criminal.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
He seems to be asking for mercy and understanding that he refused to give others.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
Figured this would have gone away already considering the amount of energy used by the left to make Kerry's little catastrophe go away.

Does anyone here really care about this guy?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Figured this would have gone away already considering the amount of energy used by the left to make Kerry's little catastrophe go away.

I think the attention being paid to the exposure of his hypocrisy correlates to the attention he gave condemning those who openly lived the life he lived in secrecy.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Kerry who?

I do really care about the hypocritical role that Conservative Christians play in politics.

Haggard is in bed with Bush and Evangelical organizations including the NAE helped Bush win two times. One of the big issues that gained mindless Evangelical support for Bush was their fear of so-called "Homosexual agenda".

Haggards "tragic" fall is another thread in one of the main themes of this election... the unraveling of self-righteous conservatives.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 01:04 pm
It's the utter hypocrisy, which has already been stressed but can't be stressed enough. And then the weakass lies after being exposed just makes it so much worse, in my book. But I guess it's foolish to expect a hypocrite to have any sense of honor or to graciously admit fault when the truth comes out, huh?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 01:19 pm
I hope he uses this opportunity to learn something -- about himself and his God (or beliefs). He has a chance to remake his life, to really make it count for something to himself and to the people that matter to him.

Many people don't recognize these opportunities.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 01:44 pm
Maybe this story will force some "believers" to be a little more skeptical of their church and of religion, in general. With all the hypocrisy that exists in the present-day, it doesn't seem like much of a leap to consider the corrupt nature of organized religion throughout history.

Diane wrote:
[...] those who protest too much usually have something to hide.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 02:25 pm
If your faith and belief is true then the downfall of your pastor, a mere human being, cannot shake it.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
Faith and belief are never really true. That's why they are called "faith" and "belief".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:27 pm
Yeah, whatever happened to that guy Foley?
0 Replies