How do you check out the love interest of your teenager?

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:15 pm
This is the first time my 15 yr old daughter has been so interested in a boy that she's worried about whether he'll ask her out, or not. Confused Ftr, she hasn't been allowed to date yet and we've kept her busy w/sports, which is her first love. She was elected female class representative to her high school's homecoming court, and about the time of homecoming week, she approached this boy who had been eying her, and scared the bejesus out of him, but now, rumor has it (his friend asked her if she would talk to this boy after 3rd period) this boy wants to ask her out to the winter ball... Winter ball is a school dance where they sell tickets and require students to bring I.D., lock them into the ballroom w/chaperones, it's all safe, or so it seems... Last year, she went w/the whole vb team as a group. This year, it's possibly going to be with this boy... Shocked So, now what? Do I check out his family, or what? Who will be the driver to this event- the boy is too young to drive... Should I invite his whole family over for barbeque lunch before the event? (That's what I'm thinking I'd like to do...) My daughter would be mortified, I'm sure... She told me the boy is almost painfully shy... I gave his name to my oldest son, who was a soldier in Afghanistan and knows plenty people who live in the area this boy does, so I'm expecting him to find out stuff about him... That just seemed like the next step to me, but I'm thinking perhaps that might have been overreaction... I didn't worry so much about my boys when they were teens...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,169 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:40 pm
well yeah, don't do the sneaking around checking up on him....invite him over to dinner, isn't that how it's ususally done?

then use the opportunity to call his parents and tell them what a nice young man their son is, and invite them over.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:43 pm
Inviting the boy's whole family for barbeque would be overkill. Your daughter and he are going to a school dance; they are not getting married.

You should tell your daughter that you want to meet the boy, and give him a good grilling then.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:07 pm
We texans must think alike....

I mean, the boys gotta eat.

from what you've said so far, it doesn't seem like the kid's ted bundy or anything.

just have him over for supper, casual like.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:35 pm
Re: How do you check out the love interest of your teenager?
princesspupule wrote:
So, now what? Do I check out his family, or what? Who will be the driver to this event- the boy is too young to drive... Should I invite his whole family over for barbeque lunch before the event? (That's what I'm thinking I'd like to do...)

no

ask your daughter

and NO

Sheesh. I think you need to step back from the edge a tiny bit, princesspupule.

Tell your son to back off on the asking around. That's verging on, I don't know, craziness.

IF he asks her out, you can tell your daughter you'd like to meet him - have him come over after school for a snack to start. No full-family facedown - that's not fair to him or your daughter.

If he survives the snack, you can work your way up to a casual meal with a couple of members of your family.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:40 pm
If I were that boy, I'd be beating a hasty retreat.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 04:38 pm
PP, you have every right to meet the kid before handing your daughter over to him, even if it's just for a school dance. I like the casual barbecue idea, a simple meal, even a snack, but make it clear that it's because you want to meet him. Sure, they will both be embarrassed but so what?

That's a big part of the problem nowadays, IMO. Parents are too afraid to parent.

I don't think this one dance warrants meeting his parents. But if they start dating then that's another thing.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 04:52 pm
PP my son is 15 (I also have an 18 year old daughter). Mt son said back right off. If the boy asks your daughter to the dance you may ring his parents and offer to drive BUT it would be better for your daugher to have the romance of him picking her up at the door (his parent driving)

Wait unitl they are a little more confident with each others company. Allow your daughter to be in charge of her relationships. Tell her he is welcome to hang at your place after school weekends etc. You should not invite him or his parents over at this stage.
The above is a combo of both my daughter and sons thoughts

My view is you should get the hell out of you daughters relationship and stop being an interfering mother. Interested is ok but dont interfere.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 04:52 pm
Has he actually asked her to the Winter Ball?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:11 pm
I just experienced my daughters first formal dance. She was asked by a boy that has gone from Kindergarden all the way til 9th grade with her. I know him and have met his mother at school functions in the past. If they are attending the dance by themselves I would definitely expect to meet him in a non-intimidating way. As suggested, I think an afterschool snack or having a small group of kids over some friday night for a movie would be a good idea. But, IMO, at this age I think going to the dance with a group is a good way to go and I believe most kids are doing this. At least here anyway. They were going to pitch in for a limo but they were all booked...Better yet, one of the dad's rented a 16 passanger van and drove the kids around. We all met at one home,took photo's and then they were off to dinner. Next stop the dance and then bowling. I liked the idea of a parent being there. He didn't go into the resteraunt and pretty much acted as just the chauffier.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:29 pm
Like most, that barbeque/meet the family sounds like too much. I mean, that would be a strain no matter how long they've been going out - if they ever do. They really need a chance to decide whether all this is worth the bother.

My personal feeling is that at 15, your daughter is old enough to date, though he should be tough enough to present himself at your home and engage in brief chit chat while she's putting on the finishing touches, or whatever girls do. Do take a peek at what he's driving, and who is with him, if anyone. If it's a crowd, and they don't look especially good, reserve the right to say no. Naturally, that won't be easy.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:05 pm
Well, the boy never asked her. The deadline the school set for purchasing tickets came and went. My daughter is going stag w/a bunch of girlfriends, which is fine with me. I'm not exactly sure 15 year olds ought to be dating. There is so much to do to get into college: keep your grades up, do extracurricular things which may factor in when scholarships are awarded, chores and family life, then perhaps extracurricular activities which don't affect the chances of going to college... Dating is not a top priority for my teens because I feel time is better spent elsewhere. Otoh, I did tell them all that if they write me a nice essay on why they want to date, I would allow them to...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:13 pm
PP, ultimately you cannot live your life for your daughter.Sure you can have priorities for what she should or should not do, but so does she. She's old enough. Let go a little. In fact quite a bit.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:58 am
More news on the dating front.

Nigel is seventeen and very shy with girls.

So when a girl who works at the cafe with him asked him to her
"semi-formal", he didn't know how to react. So even though he has zero
interest in the young lady and no desire whatsoever to go to this dance,
he accepted.

Now he was totally freaked out, afraid that the girl would read more into
his accepting than is really there. He called his older sister Hermione and
she managed to calm him down and acquaint him with ways to make his
intentions clear and help understand what she is thinking.

I tried to offer some humorously teasing advice, but the Lovely Bride shot
me a look that nearly burned holes in me.

The dance is Saturday and man, is he is dreading it. This should be
interesting.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:10 am
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:17 am
I can only hope, eoe.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:23 am
You know what? He just may have a nice time.
Stranger things have happened.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:33 pm
George--

Remind him that much of "real life" in high school is practice for Real Life.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:33 pm
Yeah, sooner or later he has to deal with it.
I sure hope he does have a good time.
At least it will break the ice.

In high school I was just as bad. My folks had to urge me to go to the
Youth Center dances. Then afterwards I'd get the interrogation.
"Did you dance?"
"How many times?"
"Who with?"
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:58 am
So, George, how went the "date?"
0 Replies