Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:04 pm
(1) ... and that she must do all that she could to help Mary to forget Mr.Douglas.
(2) ... but how he could to cause so many people indulging themselves with the hallucination?

Should "could to" be "could" instead?
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:30 pm
The whole sentence needs to be rewritten. c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:46 pm
Oristar - if I read the sense of sentence 2 correctly, I think it should be: "... but how could he cause so many people to indulge themselves with the hallucination?"

If you let us know more about the sense which the sentence is meant to convey, I am sure this could be refined.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:04 am
I don't see any reason for a 'to' in the second example.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:33 am
"could to be" is wrong in most cases.

could does not require the next verb to be infinitive.

Without seeing the first halves of the sentences:

(1) ... and that she must do all that she could to help Mary to forget Mr.Douglas.

That is wrong, replace could with can. Even if there is a conditional in the beginning could can be exchanged with can.

(2) ... but how he could to cause so many people indulging themselves with the hallucination?

"could to cause" is wrong, it should just be "could cause"
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:31 am
1) ... and that she must do all that she could to help Mary to forget Mr. Douglas.

In sentence 1, delete the to after Mary.

In sentence 2, delete the to before cause. Also, is this a question? If so, it should be changed to "but how could he cause." Also, also, indulging is wrong. It should be "to indulge." And you don't indulge with something. You indulge in something.

Sentence 2--. . . but how could he cause so many people to indulge in the hallucination?

The words are now all correct, but the sentence doesn't make sense. Do people indulge in a hallucination? This should be recast, but I don't know what the intent is.
0 Replies

SaeKyung

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 02:22 am
I found this site very interesting and where I can get valuable information about my relevant topic. Now-a-days people are very cautious for learning error free English. Here everyone is sharing their valuable advice and suggestion. most of the people are facing problems while speaking and writing English. One day while browsing net i got a English grammar checker tool Edit [Moderator]: Link removed which is very helpful where we can know our spelling errors very easily and it also free.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 02:38 am
@SaeKyung,
"and it is also free."

Welcome to a2k. Mr. Green
oristarA

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

"and it is also free."

Welcome to a2k. Mr. Green

He/she said "i got a English grammar checker tool".
So he/she himself/herself doesn't even use the tool. Mr. Green
And he/she wants you to use it. Very Happy
0 Replies