Zygote, Fetus, Clump of Cells, Alive, Dead???

real life

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:08 pm
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:
Sperm and egg do not have the required number of chromosomes to be a human being.

They each have 23. When they join, there are 46 just like you and me. It is then a human being, not before.

Haven't we covered this numerous times?

What about people with 45 or 47 chromosomes? Are they human beings? How about cells with 44 chromosomes? 43? 42? 40? Exactly where do you draw the line?

If a person had a genetic abnormality and only had 45 chromosomes, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and not kill them.

How 'bout you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:26 pm
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:
A living human being comes into existence at the moment of fertilization.

Now if anyone can demonstrate that the unborn is NOT alive at this point by providing evidence when these dead chemicals DO come alive , then that would be one way of falsifying this position.

Or if anyone can demonstrate that the unborn is NOT human at this point by providing evidence to show it is of some other species, then that also would be a way of falsifying this position.

Can I be certain of this? Relatively so, yes. As certain as one can be about anything, I suppose.

Could I be wrong? Yes. Someone, someday may be able to prove that the unborn is NOT living or is not human. But I rather doubt it.

But even if 100% certainty is not possible, the benefit of the doubt must go to life, not to recklessly destroying the unborn while pretending 100% certainty that it is NOT a living human being.

Merriam-Webster wrote:
human: a bipedal primate mammal

Your baseless assertion that a fertilized cell is a human being is not backed up by any medical or scientific proof.

A single cell is certainly not bipedal and does not have the attributes of a primate or a mammal, therfore by definition it is not a "human." It is just a set of blueprints that is incapable of ever becoming human without parasitizing a woman, sucking nutrients from her body, and injuring (and sometimes killing) her in the process. So what if it is alive and has human DNA? That is also true of every other human cell, including eggs, sperm and cancers.

Your irrational insistance that a cell is a human being is ridiculous to anyone who understands English and biology. To "be" human requires a functioning human brain that is capable of self-awareness.

You have been given evidence many times that fetal brain development absolutely precludes the possibility of awareness prior to 24 weeks gestation. A fetus may be alive and be biologically human, but if it lacks a functioning human brain, then it is NOT a human being.

Terry,

First of all, I want to tell you how much I appreciate you. You are one of the few persons who has the courage to tackle this from the medical standpoint and try to maintain your viewpoint.

For that you deserve a lot of credit, because this is a medical issue and must be addressed as such.

Allowing politicians and lawyers to ignore the the medical basis of the abortion problem only leads to political sloganeering.

I don't agree with you, but I respect your efforts.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, to your point:

You want to equate 'awareness' with 'humanness', but you will not address the questions this raises.

What level of 'awareness' do you think is required, and how will you measure it?

Do people in a coma have the required 'awareness', or is it ok to kill them? What about people who have come out of coma after decades?

Do mentally retarded people have the required 'awareness' , or is it ok to kill them?

Catatonics?

Passed out drunk or on drugs?

Brain-injured?

Asleep?

Knocked unconscious?

EXACTLY what brain functions do you propose to measure, and what levels of each are required to achieve OR RETAIN humanness?

-------------------------------

As for 'bipedal' , does that mean a man who has lost his legs is no longer human since he is not 'bipedal' ?

C'mon Terry. Even you have to admit that your post on this was quite a stretch. Smile
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real has to continue grabbing at straws, because almost everything he says are assumptions based on his POV, but has no legal or ethical base except his religious belief. For him and his ilk, universal (most countries) standings on the legal rights of the unborn is ignored.

There you go again.

A moral relativist telling others that their view has no ethical basis.

Do you or do you not believe that all moral POV are equally valid, CI?

As a relativist, how is there ANY basis for telling someone else that their morality is 'wrong' ?

You have told me that you do not apply your moral view to anyone but yourself......and yet here you are doing the opposite.

What gives?

Are you a stealth believer in an objective standard of morality?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:37 pm
real, "Moral relativist" is an oxymoron. "Moral" is a religionist, subjective, term.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real, "Moral relativist" is an oxymoron. "Moral" is a religionist, subjective, term.

So, is my morality 'wrong', CI?

Am I a 'bad' person for holding a different view?

Is my advocacy for the unborn an 'evil' thing, CI?

Tell me about all the things I do that are 'wrong'.

I'd like to hear you expound about how I've done 'evil' by not adopting your position on everything.

Then explain how you can with consistency maintain that all morality is relative, not absolute. Laughing
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:10 pm
real life wrote:
What level of 'awareness' do you think is required, and how will you measure it?

Do people in a coma have the required 'awareness', or is it ok to kill them? What about people who have come out of coma after decades?

Do mentally retarded people have the required 'awareness' , or is it ok to kill them?

Catatonics?

Brain-injured?

Asleep?

Knocked unconscious?

EXACTLY what brain functions do you propose to measure, and what levels of each are required to achieve OR RETAIN humanness?

As for 'bipedal' , does that mean a man who has lost his legs is no longer human since he is not 'bipedal' ?

C'mon Terry. Even you have to admit that your post on this was quite a stretch. Smile

The potential for awareness can be measured by imaging the brain to see if the areas known to be necessary for consciousness are functioning (thalamic reticular nuclei, synapses, cortex) and by looking at brain waves (EEG). Some people in comas can regain awareness. Some can't. That is for a doctor to determine, and care would continue as long as there was any chance of recovery. Mentally retarded individuals are just as aware as you or I. People who have temporary impairments are capable of awareness. Embryos and 2nd trimester fetuses aren't. Third trimester fetuses may have limited awareness at 30 weeks. I have posted this several times. Do you disagree with any of these points?

You used the 46 chromosome requirement as the reason you do not consider eggs and sperm to be human beings, even though they are living human cells and have the potential to grow into human beings. So what is your cutoff point on chromosome number? (you will of course note that this is the same slippery slope argument that you used in other contexts.)

Bipedalism is Merriam-Webster's requirement, but illustrates the point that a single cell is NOT a human being. IMO, people retain their humanity even if they lose their legs - or their minds. :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:31 pm
real life wrote:

Random self-contadictory crap.

Somewhere on your soapbox, you went blind. You thought it was a spotlight, but it's just you alone. you think you'r pointing at a graph but you'r pointing at a blank wall.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:47 pm
Yes, it's wrong, but not evil. "Evil" is a religious' term.

Wrong because of your emphasis on the legal rights of a cell - not human life. If you supported your myopic view of "life" by doing everything to help the children already alive, there would be some consistency to your argument. All you want to do is control the body of women you don't even know or care about. You don't even care about the many children already living who are starving. Your so-called belief to save the cell is misguided and dangerous. You don't see the trees in the forest.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:52 pm
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:

Catatonics?

Brain-injured?

Asleep?

Knocked unconscious?

The potential for awareness can be measured by imaging the brain to see if the areas known to be necessary for consciousness are functioning (thalamic reticular nuclei, synapses, cortex) and by looking at brain waves (EEG). Some people in comas can regain awareness. Some can't. That is for a doctor to determine, and care would continue as long as there was any chance of recovery. Mentally retarded individuals are just as aware as you or I. People who have temporary impairments are capable of awareness. Embryos and 2nd trimester fetuses aren't. Third trimester fetuses may have limited awareness at 30 weeks. I have posted this several times. Do you disagree with any of these points?

Patients who have suffered brain injury and are in coma have been known to grow new connections to replace what was lost or damaged and then regain consciousness after decades. At the time, doctors did not consider them to have any hope of recovery of consciousness, but it happened.

Would it have been ok to kill them based on the doctor's prognosis of no recovery and irreversible brain damage?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yes, it's wrong, but not evil. "Evil" is a religious' term.

Wrong because of your emphasis on the legal rights of a cell - not human life. If you supported your myopic view of "life" by doing everything to help the children already alive, there would be some consistency to your argument. All you want to do is control the body of women you don't even know or care about. You don't even care about the many children already living who are starving. Your so-called belief to save the cell is misguided and dangerous. You don't see the trees in the forest.

So, how do you, as a relativist justify telling anyone they are 'wrong' in their moral choices?

Aren't their morals just as valid as yours?

How can they be 'wrong' if such a concept is completely subjective?

Don't you simply mean you differ in opinion with them?

They aren't really 'wrong' in any meaningful sense of the word, if all they have done is choose a different opinion than you have, are they?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 03:31 pm
A bit older than a zygote - but:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070220/ap_on_he_me/tiny_baby;_ylt=AtDCVHStCPoO9VVjg94VasSs0NUE
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 11:22 pm
real life wrote:
Patients who have suffered brain injury and are in coma have been known to grow new connections to replace what was lost or damaged and then regain consciousness after decades. At the time, doctors did not consider them to have any hope of recovery of consciousness, but it happened.

Would it have been ok to kill them based on the doctor's prognosis of no recovery and irreversible brain damage?

How was it determined that there was no hope, and if so, why were their bodies kept alive for decades? Some new connections may be made, but very little actual damage can be repaired, even in the case of a light coma which is not the same thing as a vegetative state. In any case, brain imaging techniques are far better now than a few decades ago and doctors are better able to determine whether the damage is irreversible and when it is ethical to withdraw treatment. As I said, if there is doubt, care would continue. And the family can always choose to keep a body alive even if no one is inhabiting it, at the cost of higher taxes/insurance premiums or less care for the rest of us.

Have you decided what your cutoff on chromosome numbers will be?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 11:33 pm
Baddog1, someday it may be possible to grow embryos to full term in an incubator or some kind of artificial womb, but that doesn't change the fact that personhood requires awareness, and that is not possible until the brain develops sufficiently. A 22-week-old fetus simply doesn't have the capacity, regardless of whether it can survive outside the womb. That doesn't mean that it is necessarily wrong to try to save them, just that it is not unethical to choose to let them die or abort them.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:39 am
RL - Relative or not, if you use false pretenses to assert your beliefs, then you are wrong. If you don't like the word wrong, perhaps the word "invalid" or "false" would better describe what you are asserting.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:22 pm
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:

How was it determined that there was no hope, and if so, why were their bodies kept alive for decades? Some new connections may be made, but very little actual damage can be repaired, even in the case of a light coma which is not the same thing as a vegetative state. In any case, brain imaging techniques are far better now than a few decades ago and doctors are better able to determine whether the damage is irreversible and when it is ethical to withdraw treatment. As I said, if there is doubt, care would continue. And the family can always choose to keep a body alive even if no one is inhabiting it, at the cost of higher taxes/insurance premiums or less care for the rest of us.

Have you decided what your cutoff on chromosome numbers will be?

The point is, your criteria of 'brain connections resulting in awareness are necessary to be a human being' may leave out protection of the right to life for those in a coma due to brain injury.

There are those who were diagnosed as PVS but came out of coma, in some cases years or even decades later.

---------------------------------------------------

And as I indicated, I would give the benefit of the doubt in the case of a genetic defect/chromosomal differential. I would not kill them. How 'bout you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:55 pm
And it seems those few that came out of those comma should be the basis for saving the zygote?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:01 pm
It has also been shown that PVS is misdiagnosed, so the true rate of recovery might be in question.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:54 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It has also been shown that PVS is misdiagnosed, so the true rate of recovery might be in question.

That is the whole point, CI.

If a person is misdiagnosed as PVS and is allowed to die as a result, you have killed a living human being. The benefit of the doubt should go to life, not to death.

Get it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:00 pm
No, I don't "get it." A person diagnosed with PVS is not the same as a zygote by any stretch of the imagination; one had a developed, functioning brain and the other doesn't have a brain.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:30 am
The point is that taking action to terminate a PVS patient on the premise that 'we know' there is not a living human being terminated is fallacious. 'We know' no such thing.

Similarly , taking action to terminate an unborn child on the premise that 'we know' there is not a living human being terminated is fallacious. 'We know' no such thing.

You've yet to demonstrate medically that the unborn is NOT a living human being.

You want to make a case that certain 'brain functions' are required to qualify as a living human being?

Go ahead. Specify EXACTLY which functions are required and the level of each that does or doesn't demonstrate that the person is a living human being.

I won't hold my breath.
0 Replies