Christain Ease...

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 09:05 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
you know hezb it drives me wild when 'our side' is honest in saying we dont know, only for the religious minded to seize on that as a weakness, proclaiming their absolute faith...(in mutually incompatible ideas Smile). I would have more time for them if they too would say "well of course none of us can know...but this works for me". But they dont say that, they dishonestly claim to know some absolute truth. A plague on them all.

This may be what you are familiar with. It does happen.

I really don't think there is (or at least should be) a our side or their side. Even among those who believe there is our sides and their sides. Everyone wants to make their beliefs and opinions known but I don't think that people try to force those beliefs on others. (well, in some cases this happens)

Nobody can know for sure if what they believe is absolute. I have stated that on other threads. It is as you say....one makes a choice as to their beliefs, faith, lack of faith or whatever else comes along. They do so with the belief that it is right for them. That is not to say that it is right for everybody. For me, I have faith because I choose to have faith. It it should turn out in the end that I was wrong, I feel that I still win (not that others lose) because I lived as I chose.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:24 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Raul, the only destiny life has to offer us is the destiny we create for ourselves.

A recent realization I've had.

It's not about what "God" you believe in. How long you've believed, not believed, or whatever. It's about living life to the absolute fullest. Some people choose to do that through their religion. Unfortunately sometimes they are so gung ho they hurt others in the process without realizing it. However, religion is definitely not the only cause of hurt in this world.

When I say living life to the fullest I mean enjoying the few brief moments we are given here on this earth. Living, loving, learning, and growing like today might be our last opportunity to do any of that. Because you know what Raul... It really might be. There are no guarantee's in life, or on how long we will live. On how many opportunities we will be given to tell someone we are sorry, or we love them. There is

Only here...

Now...

This moment...

I think that what hurts my heart the most as I step back and look at religion from a completely different perspective, and I mean ALL religion mind you, is how easily life itself is taken for granted, looked upon as something that is "deserved" rather than a gift. How much time and energy are spent on looking at and pointing out others wrongs, rather than seeing someone for how priceless they are, no matter how imperfect they may be.

Whether you want to admit it or not Raul, we all shape our own destiny. Ultimately that is the absolute truth. The thing is... everyone uses different tools to shape theirs. Some use religion. Some use science. Some just use whatever comes across their path. No matter what tool you or I use, it is still you or I that are shaping what happens next. Not God. Not Allah. Not president Bush. But you. And me. And to be able to do that is a gift that should be treasured rather than taken for granted.

When I say decreed destiny, I meant for example just say (God forbid) you got in accident tommorow and got paralized. This is decreed destiny, we of course choose the path we follow but some events are inevitable and unexpected - this is decreed destiny. That's why gave us the choice between following what's wrong and right. If he wished he couldv'e made us all perfect believers or destroyed each one of us whenever we commited a sin, however he is giving us the chance to see if eventually come around and follow the right path.

You're right, nothing is gauranteed in this life. We all will perish, but that's why we should strive for the hereafter. Imagine a life free of all wants and needs, where everything the soul desires will be at your finger tips and even somethings the mind can only dream of. No hunger, no stress, no ailments, no aging and no death. Truly it is where our real, eternal life will begin.

"Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children. Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And Forgiveness from God and (His) Good Pleasure (for the devotees of God). And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception." (Al-Hadid 20)
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:51 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
We all will perish, but that's why we should strive for the hereafter. Imagine a life free of all wants and needs, where everything the soul desires will be at your finger tips and even somethings the mind can only dream of.

Hep,

Some people are so unsatisfied with life that they invest as much as they can in an imagined, alternative reality. It's classic denial.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:31 pm
Re: Christain Ease...
hephzibah wrote:
Because "christian beliefs" say that God only "protects" you and yours as long as you serve Him and do things His way. Otherwise the "enemy" has a "legal right" to do whatever he wants to us. Therefore, "logically" speaking (according to christian beliefs that is) it could be considered my fault both my fathers are going through this because I no longer serve God, therefore He is under no obligation to protect me or anyone in my family. Satan has taken over my family. Shocked

If that were true heph..Christians who do serve God and do things his way....would never physically die. (scrap their knee, break legs, get a cold etc.)

Who do you know that serves God and God alone and did so his way....other than Jesus?

The grave could not hold him.

If your loved ones believe in Christ and accepted him as saviour...death and disease will not keep hold of them either. He has overcome this world.

Did Peter and Paul serve God better than you do you think? Why were they "destroyed"? Not with us in the physical yet better than ever. :wink:

I will be praying for you and yours.

Your brother in Christ,
Bart

P.S The enemy cannot do whatever he wants.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
We all will perish, but that's why we should strive for the hereafter. Imagine a life free of all wants and needs, where everything the soul desires will be at your finger tips and even somethings the mind can only dream of.

Hep,

Some people are so unsatisfied with life that they invest as much as they can in an imagined, alternative reality. It's classic denial.

No denial whatsoever, it's the truth from your Creator. You really believe this is the only life you get?

Yet still you prefer the life of the world when the Hereafter is better and longer lasting. (Surat al-A'la: 16-17) (Surat al-A'la: 16-17)
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:52 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Hep,

No denial whatsoever, it's the truth from your Creator. You really believe this is the only life you get?

Yet still you prefer the life of the world when the Hereafter is better and longer lasting. (Surat al-A'la: 16-17) (Surat al-A'la: 16-17)

Revelation 9:6
And in those days shall men seek death and shall not find it and shall desire to die and death shall flee from them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
Hi heph, Let me tell you about my sister, a devout christian. Her husband was ill with Parkinsons and also had a heart attack. My sister, a nurse, worked and spent her days praying and caring for her husband 24/7, and truly believed he would regain his health. After his death, my sister told me she lost faith in god, and quit going to church. About one year later, she started attending church again, and is back where she started with her "faith."

I think this is typical of how christians react to their faith. I'm an atheist.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 02:24 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Hep,

Your concept of reality is based on wishful thinking. I prefer an uncensored mind.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:16 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
you know hezb it drives me wild when 'our side' is honest in saying we dont know, only for the religious minded to seize on that as a weakness, proclaiming their absolute faith...(in mutually incompatible ideas Smile). I would have more time for them if they too would say "well of course none of us can know...but this works for me". But they dont say that, they dishonestly claim to know some absolute truth. A plague on them all.

This may be what you are familiar with. It does happen.

I really don't think there is (or at least should be) a our side or their side. Even among those who believe there is our sides and their sides. Everyone wants to make their beliefs and opinions known but I don't think that people try to force those beliefs on others. (well, in some cases this happens)

Nobody can know for sure if what they believe is absolute. I have stated that on other threads. It is as you say....one makes a choice as to their beliefs, faith, lack of faith or whatever else comes along. They do so with the belief that it is right for them. That is not to say that it is right for everybody. For me, I have faith because I choose to have faith. It it should turn out in the end that I was wrong, I feel that I still win (not that others lose) because I lived as I chose.

Perhaps there shouldn't be Intrepid. But there is. I still respect your willingness to be honest and the faith you hold though. Smile

Raul-7 wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Raul, the only destiny life has to offer us is the destiny we create for ourselves.

A recent realization I've had.

It's not about what "God" you believe in. How long you've believed, not believed, or whatever. It's about living life to the absolute fullest. Some people choose to do that through their religion. Unfortunately sometimes they are so gung ho they hurt others in the process without realizing it. However, religion is definitely not the only cause of hurt in this world.

When I say living life to the fullest I mean enjoying the few brief moments we are given here on this earth. Living, loving, learning, and growing like today might be our last opportunity to do any of that. Because you know what Raul... It really might be. There are no guarantee's in life, or on how long we will live. On how many opportunities we will be given to tell someone we are sorry, or we love them. There is

Only here...

Now...

This moment...

I think that what hurts my heart the most as I step back and look at religion from a completely different perspective, and I mean ALL religion mind you, is how easily life itself is taken for granted, looked upon as something that is "deserved" rather than a gift. How much time and energy are spent on looking at and pointing out others wrongs, rather than seeing someone for how priceless they are, no matter how imperfect they may be.

Whether you want to admit it or not Raul, we all shape our own destiny. Ultimately that is the absolute truth. The thing is... everyone uses different tools to shape theirs. Some use religion. Some use science. Some just use whatever comes across their path. No matter what tool you or I use, it is still you or I that are shaping what happens next. Not God. Not Allah. Not president Bush. But you. And me. And to be able to do that is a gift that should be treasured rather than taken for granted.

When I say decreed destiny, I meant for example just say (God forbid) you got in accident tommorow and got paralized. This is decreed destiny, we of course choose the path we follow but some events are inevitable and unexpected - this is decreed destiny. That's why gave us the choice between following what's wrong and right. If he wished he couldv'e made us all perfect believers or destroyed each one of us whenever we commited a sin, however he is giving us the chance to see if eventually come around and follow the right path.

You're right, nothing is guaranteed in this life. We all will perish, but that's why we should strive for the hereafter. Imagine a life free of all wants and needs, where everything the soul desires will be at your finger tips and even somethings the mind can only dream of. No hunger, no stress, no ailments, no aging and no death. Truly it is where our real, eternal life will begin.

"Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children. Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And Forgiveness from God and (His) Good Pleasure (for the devotees of God). And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception." (Al-Hadid 20)

I'll admit we can't control everything Raul. But to say there is a "decreed destiny" well that's just crazy darling. In order to believe that one would have to believe there was a "decreer". To believe that "God" decree's even an accident is well... just further proof for unbelievers of just how unjust this "God" is. I wish you could hear how ridiculous you sound. But you know what Raul? I respect your faith. Even though I don't agree with it.

echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Hep,

That it is my friend. Mr. Green

Bartikus wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Because "christian beliefs" say that God only "protects" you and yours as long as you serve Him and do things His way. Otherwise the "enemy" has a "legal right" to do whatever he wants to us. Therefore, "logically" speaking (according to christian beliefs that is) it could be considered my fault both my fathers are going through this because I no longer serve God, therefore He is under no obligation to protect me or anyone in my family. Satan has taken over my family. Shocked

If that were true heph..Christians who do serve God and do things his way....would never physically die. (scrap their knee, break legs, get a cold etc.)

Who do you know that serves God and God alone and did so his way....other than Jesus?

The grave could not hold him.

If your loved ones believe in Christ and accepted him as saviour...death and disease will not keep hold of them either. He has overcome this world.

Did Peter and Paul serve God better than you do you think? Why were they "destroyed"? Not with us in the physical yet better than ever. :wink:

I will be praying for you and yours.

Your brother in Christ,
Bart

P.S The enemy cannot do whatever he wants.

I appreciate the prayers Bart, however according to Mr. Raul here, they probably won't do much good since "God" apparently decreed both of my fathers to have cancer at this time. :wink:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Hi heph, Let me tell you about my sister, a devout christian. Her husband was ill with Parkinsons and also had a heart attack. My sister, a nurse, worked and spent her days praying and caring for her husband 24/7, and truly believed he would regain his health. After his death, my sister told me she lost faith in god, and quit going to church. About one year later, she started attending church again, and is back where she started with her "faith."

I think this is typical of how christians react to their faith. I'm an atheist.

Hi CI. I've seen similar things over and over through the last 17 years. I did see a few miracles though too. I don't know what caused it. I know my "faith" told me it was "God". Here's the thing though CI. Many people will get angry at "God" and walk away. They don't really dismiss their faith completely, they just kind of set it aside because He didn't do what they wanted Him to do and they are mad. Eventually though, they pick it up again. Why? Because it's all they really know and REALLY stepping outside of that is just plain uncomfortable. I'm a little uncomfortable at this point in my life. I'm not really sure what's next, but you know... in a strange sort of way, that's perfectly ok too. I don't need to know right now.

I'm not saying I will or won't ever pick up my "faith" again, because anything is possible really. I'm human. Though my scenario is a little bit different. I'm not really mad at "God". I don't feel like "He" has done me any great injustice here. The most simple way to put it is to say that well... I got tricked into believing something I no longer believe is true. At least not to the extent I thought it was. Not this oogling "God" who is sitting on the edge of His throne, leaning over and watching ME out of such great care and concern, and wielding my life which ever direction "He" sees fit.

I haven't totally dismissed the idea that there may be something bigger than us out there, however I sincerely doubt it is this "God" that christianity proclaims. Or any religion for that matter. Ultimately I don't think it matters if we believe in something greater or not. If it helps someone cope with life and it's troubles... great, more power to them I guess. It was a great help to me for many years. But don't hit me over the head with this idea God is so loving and caring that he would decree my parents to get cancer to teach me a lesson or something. I ain't brainwashed enough to believe that kind of garbage any more.

And if there is a "God" I think "He's" being done a great disservice through people promoting those kinds of ridiculous ideas. However I'm beginning to see just how selfish "christianity" really is now. I'm beginning to see just how self-centered it is. Not to say that everyone who believes in that particular "God" is that way, but I'm talking about the general belief system of your "typical" believer. I'm really starting to think that the very "selfishness" I have struggled with lately was actually birthed within my belief system while I was walking within the confines of christianity.

Seriously. Think about this... I had everything a human ego could want. This "Being" that created everything with "His" attention focused on my every move. I literally was the center of the universe almost because of "His" concern for me, and the things "He" would do for me, simply because "He" created me. So of course I walked around feeling like I deserved more than I was getting out of life. Of course I felt like most everything was going to be handed to me simply because I "believed".

I was no better than the very people I beat over their heads because of what they've promoted here. I see that now, and I'm real sorry. Sad I'm real sorry for making my life all about me and then getting mad because no one wanted to stick around very long. Sad I'm sorry for being a hypocrite in so many ways because I was living a lie, but it was ok to do that because I "believed", you see. Sad

*sigh*

It's all very sad you see. The merry-go-rounds we will put ourselves on sometimes, all in an effort to find "the truth". I still believe though that the best we as humans can really do is to live honestly, being real to ourselves and to others. That's all we've got to offer, and that is priceless no matter who it comes from... "believer" or "non-believer".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:22 pm
heph, I really do understand your position. I was never able to reconcile the christian's teachings with what I observed and experienced, but all my siblings stuck with christianity after our family converted from buddhism to the bible during WWII. Many people that believe in their religion is ingrained in their blood - from childhood.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
You are right CI. Maybe that's why I can walk away now. It wasn't in me from the beginning. I had a rough start to life and religion offered me a crutch that I sincerely needed for a while. But now, well... I can walk without a crutch. I really believe that. I don't hold anything against those who "believe". If they need it, well as far as I'm concerned let them have it. Just don't beat people over the head with it is all. That is so not necessary, and actually defeats the purpose, if you ask me.

Every time I see you CI I think about the A2K gathering I missed. I wish I could have been there to meet you and the others that showed up. There are some really neat people here at A2K. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:51 pm
heph, About those a2k gatherings; it's really great to talk and socialize with people we don't always agree with on a2k. I'd say, so far, all the a2k gatherings have been "fantastic!" Try to join the next one; I try to attend if my schedule permits.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:55 pm
BTW, I may bark like a dog on many of these political and religious threads, but I'm really a putty cat. At my age, I just don't have any way to pretty up my responses when people continue to show ignorance or project their own ideas into my statements.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:05 pm
Yeah, I bet they have been! Man... Barcelona is the next one eh? Heh... not sure if I could swing that one... but it might be worth a shot!

No worries about how you are CI. Continued ignorance can be frustrating, no doubt. Hehe... However, I'm not one to talk, because I think I just might be pretty ignorant myself at times! Cool I wouldn't have you be any other way though, because then you wouldn't be you. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:19 pm
heph, I'm ignorant about many things, but all I expect is people to challenge what I say without their projections of what I said. Simple, really.

Here's a recent exchange I had with somebody: I said a fetus doesn't have any legal rights in this country. They then responded that I approved the killing of the fetus. I said no such thing: I'm only reiterating what the laws in our country is; not what the mother decides to do with her fetus. I make no moral judgements on what the woman decides.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:25 pm
Oh CI I know what you are talking about! It drives me batty when people do that to me! I usually follow it up with this:

*cough*

*GAG*

Ahem... ahem...

Please excuse me for a minute while I go choke on the words you are putting in my mouth...

Hehehe...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:35 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Oh CI I know what you are talking about! It drives me batty when people do that to me! I usually follow it up with this:

*cough*

*GAG*

Ahem... ahem...

Please excuse me for a minute while I go choke on the words you are putting in my mouth...

Hehehe...

Hepi, I have no experience with your experiences, I was born into an agnostic family and both of my brothers turned out to be agnostic while i became atheist; my only advice is follow your own bliss and be happy.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
Thanks dys. I'm looking forward to doing just that. Smile
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 11:42 pm
Re: Christain Ease...
hephzibah wrote:

Why? You ask. Well let me tell ya. Smile

Hummm.

Is it just me or does that really sound as ridiculous as I think it does?

While you may find some Christians who hold this as their 'christian belief', you won't find it in the Bible.

If it were true, all non-Christians would be sick, in poverty, etc. As you know, they are not.

It is based on a misunderstanding of the Bible.

One cannot earn God's favor or protection ( for self or family or anyone else) by being good, no matter how good you are.

For instance, God hears and answers prayer. Not because we deserve it. We don't. But He does it because He is gracious and merciful.

If you pray and are expecting an answer based on what you've done, that's works, not faith based on grace.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 11:50 pm
hephzibah wrote:
My my, I sure was laying on the sarcasm pretty thick this morning. Man I need to get more sleep. LOL

Alright, well you know, I know all belief systems don't teach this kind of stuff. Where I lived spiritually for 17 years did though. I don't know that anything I say will have an effect on anyone who still is totally engrossed in these kinds of beliefs. However, I've still got to say it. Even if it is out of sheer anger and disappointment. I don't care.

The anger and disappointment isn't based on my current circumstances though. It is the realization of how manipulated, lied to, and deceived I was. To realize how faith is really only used to mask things that either don't make sense logically, or that aren't understood and never could be. It's ridiculous and it makes me sad.

Is there a "God"? I don't know. I honestly don't. I can tell you this though, it is my opinion that if there is, He must be greatly disappointed in how He is being made out to be to people here.

Why should you be angry that some people you know and love still sometimes misunderstand God?

Don't you? Sometimes I do too.

They are as human as you are. Forgive them.
0 Replies