Are we entering a "low-grade depression"?

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:54 am
William Greider, always a good read (and convincing), suggests we're in for a "low grade depression" and ends his piece as follows:

...The gathering evidence also suggests that the mass-consumption economy that has flourished since World War II may at last be running out of gas. Too many indebted consumers are tapped out or will be in hard times. Who's going to buy all this stuff? Is this weakened condition related to the gross and growing wage inequalities of the past two decades?
The "market signal" of small-d depression might be saying: Don't invest more in the old stuff since we've already got too many shopping centers. Start investing in "problems" the country has long neglected--see these really as economic opportunities. Invest in the energy technologies and industrial transformations required for the posthydrocarbons age of ecologically sustainable prosperity. Invest in healthcare and transportation and production systems to deliver safe, healthy food. Invest in the smaller, more nimble firms ready to do things differently. Invest in people--the human development that begins with children at a very early age. These and other investment opportunities are where the future jobs and higher returns are most likely to be found. The status quo interests will naturally resist such shifts in purpose and deploy their political muscle to block any promising departures. But a fundamental restructuring at least would open the way to think anew, to strive for a different kind of politics. If the Chicken Littles turn out to be right, a pivotal moment is approaching, one that may be both dreadful and promising.

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030630&c=4&s=greider
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 954 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:18 pm
Mind if I tie this in to what he wrote about the Reaganomics and David Stockman? Stockman quit the Reagan team, and Greider followed the whole story.

I think he sees parallels here. Despite all the rosy talk from the WH, things are not going well. Capitalism works, but when it becomes an integral part of the changing of moral and ethical values, then we have to question how it's working. It does seem that today we place more and more importance on what and how many we possess, and that passes right along to the kids, who then pursue this dream of untold wealth and become depressed and angry when it's not theirs to have.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
I haven't thought about Stockman for years...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
It has long been my contention that only a Great Depression or the like can get Americans back on solid Earth, values-wise.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 03:04 pm
Quote:
The threat of national deflation, an economically dangerous long-term slide in prices, rose anew Friday with a second monthly decline in wholesale costs.

The Labor Department reported that its Producer Price Index, which measures prices before they reach consumers, fell 0.3 percent in May from April. That decline followed a record 1.9 percent plunge in wholesale prices from March to April.

A big part of the decline in wholesale prices for both months came from retreating energy prices, which had been stoked in previous months on war tensions. Prices for some other goods, including clothing and trucks, also went down.

"There are many flavors of deflation," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Economy.com. "A mild case can hurt businesses but usually isn't a problem for consumers. But in a severe case ... everyone is going to get nailed."

The back-to-back declines in wholesale prices come in the aftermath of recent warnings by Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan and his colleagues about the possibility of the country facing deflation.

Although Fed policy-makers say the chance of that happening is remote, the Fed still must be alert for deflation because of its potential to wreck the economy, they said. While the country experienced limited bouts of falling prices at the end of the 1940s and in the mid-1950s, its last serious case of deflation was during the Great Depression.

In a bad case of deflation, prices fall for goods, services, stocks and real estate. Businesses, watching incomes and profits shrivel, lay off workers and cut salaries of those who have jobs. Individuals and businesses find it harder to pay off debt. Bankruptcies rise.

That's from my local fishwrap, courtesy AP.

I think this whole thing bears watching...closely.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 03:27 pm
So what does Greenspan say then? Oops? I wish I hadda rethought that interest rate thing? I wish I hadna bin such a cheerleader?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 04:18 pm
Quote:
The threat I'm talking about is economic. Like the British Empire in the years after World War I, the American Empire is marching toward global domination on increasingly shaky financial legs:

--The American economy now depends on a rising tide of cheap imported goods to sustain acceptable levels of economic growth and domestic consumption.

--Because of this dependence, the trade deficit - the gap between what America exports and imports -- has reached truly gargantuan levels. This trend is unsustainable.

--To pay for its import habit, America has to attract approximately $1.5 billion a day from foreign lenders and investors. This means foreign capital - and capitalists - are becoming increasingly essential to the smooth functioning of the U.S. economy.

--But foreign investors are becoming increasingly reluctant to invest in U.S. assets. To cover the shortfall between what America needs to borrow and what private investors are willing to lend, foreign central banks (the counterparts to our Federal Reserve) have stepped in to fill the gap.

--As a result of these trends, foreign governments are accumulating a growing ownership stake in the U.S. national debt. In fact, they now own more Treasury debt than the Federal Reserve itself. But their willingness to continue subsidizing our import habit in this fashion is unclear.

The strain of increased defense budgets, combined with the looming demographic burdens of retirement and health-care spending, make the longer-term picture even gloomier. A debt crisis looms. The Republican fiscal train wreck - product of the stubborn supply side fantasy that federal taxes can be cut without reducing federal spending - has only brought the day of reckoning closer.

The result, as an economist with the Citigroup Private Bank recently put it, is an "unseen hammer" hanging over the U.S. economy and the U.S. financial markets.

Whole bunch mo' here.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
Foreign ownership of our debt has been growing steadily for quite some and I'd say it's the factor that most worries this chickadee. And it also surprises me that as the country becomes increasingly paranoid and xenophobic, that this sh*t hasn't hit the right wing fan... Or do we just level any country which dares to demand payment on debt? Kind of a major cancer on our bond market...
0 Replies