Desperate Families Embrace Unapproved Alzheimer Drug

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:28 am
Desperate Families Embrace Unapproved Alzheimer Drug

By GINA KOLATA

Charles Baron watched for eight years as his wife, Betty, once lively and vibrant, a leader in her St. Louis community, slipped away, lost to the ravages of Alzheimer's disease. He tried everything to slow her decline — prescription drugs, nutritional supplements, diet, exercise.
"We tried everything that the doctors have been kind enough to say is not going to harm us," Mr. Baron said. But his efforts were of little avail. At 79, Mrs. Baron was on a steady downhill course. She still lived at home, but Mr. Baron relied on full-time help to care for her.
Then, in early April, Mr. Baron was listening to the radio and heard a news report about an Alzheimer's drug, memantine. The drug blocks a brain chemical, glutamate, which has been implicated in nerve cell death. A new study found that it seemed to have a modest effect in alleviating the symptoms of advanced Alzheimer's disease.
It is not a cure; it does not reverse the disease. And, for now, it is not sold in this country. Forest Laboratories, which has licensed it, has applied to the Food and Drug Administration to market it and does not expect to hear anything until fall.
Knowing the ravages of Alzheimer disease. Would you if a loved one were stricken use an unproven drug or wait for FDA approval. I would go to any port in a storm. What is there to lose after all IMO the disease is a living death.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/health/15ALZH.html?ex=1055649600&en=deb8d2e5a419ec88&ei=5059&partner=AOL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,680 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:35 am
I'd go to where it is sold and buy a truck load.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:33 am
And I would be right along side you, littlek!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:53 am
And I'd be on your other side Littlek!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:48 pm
"
You people are welcome to your enthusiasm I have an observation and some questions.

First, this new drug is not a cure; it does not reverse the disease--it just slows down deterioration to a modest degree.

Is the patient with advanced Alzenheimer's enjoying life? Or is that person a high-quality vegetable?

In what stage is the dementia patient? Is s/he capable of making a decision--or agreeing to a decision--about this experiemental drug? What wishes were expressed before the dementia became advanced? Would my loved one want to be a guinea pig?

What are the side effects? I might trade a shorter life for a slightly more lucid life, but what if the side effects include unbridled rages or complete incontinence or night wandering.

What does the doctor say? What drug interactions are possible?

I might decide to try the drug--but only after serious though.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:02 pm
Noddy
The kindest thing that could be done for someone with advanced Alzheimer's is to be Euthanized However, since that is not an option slowing down the progression of the disease is the next best thing. To me the thought of death is more pleasant that living with Alzheimer.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 03:53 pm
au1929--

I don't understand your position. Your last post seems to say that since you can't put an advanced Alzeheimer's patient out of his misery you should try the experimental drug to slow down the patient's decay and postpone his death.

Quality of Life must be considered--and ideally Quality of Life for the caretakers and the rest of the family as well as the patient.

Visiting my father during a lengthly hospitalization, I passed an old woman strapped into a wheelchair parked next to the nurses station. She kept pleading passersby, "Take me. Take me."

A nurse said, "Where do you want to go."

"Take me to my mother. Mother has my dolly."

You would want to extend this woman's unhappy life?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
I'm with Noddy about avoiding anything that could delay death in a late stage alzheimer's patient. But, there are many people who could use this at the onset or early stages of the disease.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:04 pm
Same here. I have huge issues with prolonging suffering.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 05:40 am
Noddy24
The drug is not meant to or will it extend life what it is intended to do is to delay the progression of the effects of the disease.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 11:08 am
au1929--

I was too hasty earlier to follow your reasoning. Still, I'm not sure that in the late stages of dementia you can slow down the disease without increasing the life span of the suffering patient.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:54 pm
Noddy24
There is only one relief that people with late stages dementia can be given. However, it is illegal. We it would seem have more empathy for our pets than our loved ones.
0 Replies