American bra or dress sizes. Are they the same as the UK?

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
Miss tea and I have met before.

Lovely woman..

( peeks around )

she would hit me if i said otherwise... Shocked
HAHHA
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
Vicki E wrote:
Most of the people so far seem to be yanks.

.... and then there's the silent intellingecia from elsewhere :wink:
0 Replies

Vicki E

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 03:26 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
You would get a kick out of this thread-

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42504&start=0

I'll go and have a look. What time is it in Texas?. Its nearly half past nine in the evening here.
0 Replies

Vicki E

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 03:39 pm
That one is very long shewolnm. I'll read that tomorrow. It certainly looks very funny though.

Walter Hinteler, do I take it you're not a yank? You sound German or Austrian? Swiss?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:36 pm
Vicki, people post here from around the world. There are a lot on the site from the US, but many from elsewhere.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
Ya'll come back now....y'hear?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:35 pm
Vicki E wrote:

Walter Hinteler, do I take it you're not a yank? You sound German or Austrian? Swiss?

German - and what osso said :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:44 am
Vicki E wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Vicki E wrote:
sorry. I was hoping for one minute to get someone to show me round. Drinks would be on me, lol.

Kicky is gonna be annoyed.

Why annoyed? Have I said something wrong?

G'day vicki. Kicky is........ Hmmmm how to describe kicky?..... anyone? deparate and dateless?

Well he's from New York anyhow (I hope thats right)
Now, you can get extra bonus points if you can tell where I'm from.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 01:05 am
And what, exactly, in womens sizes constitutes a "size". I know it's not measure in American or metric measurements. I had a girlfriend while back who was a size zero. ZERO!!! Does this imply that she does not exist??? And what size would a woman smaller than her wear? A size minus???
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 01:12 am
Vicki E wrote:
Is George Bush a member? lol.

Yes.
0 Replies

Vicki E

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:40 am
NickFun wrote:
And what, exactly, in womens sizes constitutes a "size". I know it's not measure in American or metric measurements. I had a girlfriend while back who was a size zero. ZERO!!! Does this imply that she does not exist??? And what size would a woman smaller than her wear? A size minus???

Nickfun I've been looking at one or two other forums I belong to but couldn't find much in the way of information. I also looked at an American one? (Blurty.com) and found some answers that mention this size zero thing. Size zero? Whats all that about?
The general consensus on blurty seems to be that you just minus a size when converting to American. Size 10 UK equals size 8 American.
I think I'll just try stuff on and see if it fits and if its good value.

Can anyone tell me the best area for clothes shops in New York? Not overly expensive designer stuff, just ordinary good quality outlets preferably all in one street?
0 Replies

Vicki E

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:47 am
dadpad wrote:
Vicki E wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Vicki E wrote:
sorry. I was hoping for one minute to get someone to show me round. Drinks would be on me, lol.

Kicky is gonna be annoyed.

Why annoyed? Have I said something wrong?

G'day vicki. Kicky is........ Hmmmm how to describe kicky?..... anyone? deparate and dateless?

Well he's from New York anyhow (I hope thats right)
Now, you can get extra bonus points if you can tell where I'm from.

Haha! desperate and dateless I can identify with sometimes, believe me!
You tell him not to worry as it all comes good in the end.

I'd guess Australian dadpad?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:34 pm
dateless?

must be nice to be able to travel, single, where ever you want

ok.

Im jealous of you .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:37 pm
Hi Vicki,

NYC has shopping on almost every street. You might want to try mid-town first starting around 34th and 6th Ave at Macy's. You can walk uptown on 5th Ave. and check out the smaller stores until you reach places like Lord and Taylor's (I think they're still there), and you can continue walking
uptown to Saks and Bloomingdales (around 64th St). The most expensive shops tend to be on Madison Ave in the higher cross street numbers.

For more funky, artistic clothing you can go to downtown to Astor Place and 8th Street in the East Village. You can also check out the West Village, although a little more pricey there's a lot to choose from and often good bargains on off season merchandise. Not far away, going further downtown, is SoHo (a real mix of stores and prices) and Tribeca (once very cheap now more of a mix).

The very best bargains used to be on the lower east side, below Houston St. and First Ave. Canal, Essex and Hester St. were great. I haven't been there for years and I know real estates costs have gone up, so I don't know the current status of shops. There used to be a good discount place called Century 21 near Wall St which is almost to Battery Park.

Hotels will be happy to give you shopping guides, just stop into any hotel and ask at the front desk.

If I still lived in Manhattan I would be happy to give you a tour, but alas, I'm a couple hours north now.

Maybe Lola will come along with some suggestions.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:43 pm
Vicki E wrote:

Haha! desperate and dateless I can identify with sometimes, believe me!
You tell him not to worry as it all comes good in the end.

I'd guess Australian dadpad?

And an old married man to boot. You having fun yet?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:53 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Vicki E wrote:
Most of the people so far seem to be yanks.

.... and then there's the silent intellingecia from elsewhere :wink:

Yes - I'm here now!

Welcome Vicki E

Soz is Hermione Granger!? Wheeee!
Cheers from teh Down Under Witch!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:25 pm
Vicki - I'd make sure to try everything on before you buy it - especially those things marked Small, Medium or Large. Even though the sizes are supposed to be equivalent, Americans in general are bigger that Brits so the clothes are cut really, really differently.

A British small is smaller than an American small, which is more like a British medium. In England, small really means small - especially by American standards.

Also, in America, designer labels and better quality clothes tend to be sized larger than less expensive clothes. A good quality American size 8 is often the same size as something cheaper that you'd have to buy in a size 10 to get the same fit.

Shoes tend to be made wider in the UK - they don't have the selection of half-sizes and widths that they do in America - so I think you'll feel spoiled for choice and may get a really good fit in terms of shoes in the US. I always have to wait and buy my shoes there to get them to fit right -maybe I just have really American feet or something.
British bras fit me better than American bras though - so who knows.

I think you'll find you'll get a lot more value for your money in the US- you'll usually pay about half of what you would here in the UK - especially at chains like the Gap, etc. and US tends to have better sales and bigger mark downs - more bargains.
But you guys have the best Charity (thrift) shops. I can't believe the quality stuff I find here all the time, pretty much in every single charity shop I walk in- and talk about bargains. You just don't find the same quality stuff in thrift shops in the US.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:54 am
So British women have small breasts and big feet! Who knew?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:43 am
I didn't say that! But they use the old European patterns to cut their shoes (so I'm told) so that they're wider. And a lot of them only come in a standard width - not like in the US where you can get widths anywhere from AAA to EEE. They also don't seem to like half-sizes here - which is a pain in the neck for me as I'm somewhere in between 36 and 37 in the European shoe sizes-so if I buy them here, they're either a little too small or a little too big.

On the other hand, bras seem to be cut and sized here more precisely. I haven't compared breast sizes of American and British women - not really an area of interest for me...
0 Replies

Vicki E

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:08 am
Thank you everyone who has taken the trouble to answer my original question (and to those who are being cheeky)
Green witch and Aidan, I will print your posts (if I can work out how to do it) and take them with me. This stuff is so much more useful than the tourist blurb I've read which seems to be just a glorified sales pitch. Thank you so much.
I'm getting my dollars at the weekend, but will have to search for my passport as I havent used it for quite a while. Just my luck Iwont be able to find it.
I'm happy to hear that the price difference seems to be true!

Aidan its funny you mention charity shops as i'm halfway through clearing out my wardrobes and will be taking several bags to the PDSA shop at the weekend. I need to make room for new clothes and also get rid of what is now outdated (plus the fact I've gone up a size over the past year or so).
Anyone want some dresses with big padded shoulders?
0 Replies