bottom line&top priority

lydiabc

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:34 am
Dear All,

I have a question about a sentence.

Could you pls help me explain the sentence"Wse are those who learn that bottom line does not always have to be their top priority."

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 10:55 am
Welcome to A2K, lydia. I think your sentence depends on the context, but to me it simply means that the basic facts and reality of things do not have to be all that life contains. We all have priorities other than profit and loss. Mine happens to be the imagination of the human mind. Hope this helps your understanding.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:15 pm
Lydia--

Welcome to A2K.

Quote:
Could you pls help me explain the sentence"Wse are those who learn that bottom line does not always have to be their top priority."

In bookeeping one keeps track of money coming in and money coming out. When there is more money coming in than going out, the bottom line of the day's ledger shows a profit.

"Top priority" means "most important".

The writer is saying that making money is not necessarily the most important part of business.
0 Replies

lydiabc

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:07 am
Thank you Letty and Noddy24.

I got an understanding on it.

It depends on context, and if I want to explain it clearly, I have to discuss it in different conditions.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 04:46 pm
Lydia--

Glad we could help.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:51 pm
Message for Lydiabc
Hi lydiabc. This is Mavericker. I know this is off-topic, but I got your message in the Pets forum. Can you please post your e-mail address so I can contact you? Please respond soon. Thank you. Very Happy
0 Replies

lydiabc

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
[email protected]
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 09:59 pm
I also know this is off-topic. But I can't help asking what is "topline" (which I once have an impression, but unfortunetely now forget it) when I see your explanation of "bottomline", Noddy. Because if an answer as detailed is given out, the two words would be memorized at the same time, since they make a good pair to remember. Thank you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:41 pm
Translator--

"Topline" isn't familiar, but "top of the line" is. When a manufacturer (of cars, of clothing, of appliances) makes goods in a variety of price levels, the most expensive is known as Top of the Line.

Sometimes Top of the Line is of better quality than other models, but this is not necessarily true.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:13 pm
Noddy, thank you, but it's not the real answer, I think. So I give this example to you so that you could be more aware of what I'm talking about:

Quote:
The June quarter jingle has begun; a 32.6 per cent increase in topline and 34.3 per cent jump in bottomline of at least 305 companies appear to ring a positive bell.

From: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2006/07/23/stories/2006072302710200.htm

And I heard someone is saying that topline means data on the first line of a ledger and bottomline means data on the last line of a ledger.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:16 am
define what "it" is referring to in a sentence
I have a question on a sentence and would like some help please

The sentence is "Don't let the name fool you - the Rockies ain't the stones you'd have to get over at this Cow Country clash. What is it?

yes, this is one of the marlboro contest questions. I am not asking for the answer. What I would like to know is in the sentence if the word "it" is referring to the what you have to get over or is "it" referring to the name of the clash?

Can someone tell me that please?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:50 am
in my household the bottom and the top get equal attention.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:18 am
For some reason I get the feeling you did not major in English.
Cute answer though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:20 am
tryingtohelp wrote:
For some reason I get the feeling you did not major in English.
Cute answer though.

Aside from not capitalizing the first word of the sentence, what's the problem? Would you care to diagram my sentence teacher? Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:31 am
The problem is either you didn't answer my question or I don't understand your answer to my question. If I was the teacher, then I wouldn't need the question answered.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:36 am
When I saw your answer I pictured something dirty. Embarrassed Sometimes my mind works like that. Even though that was what I pictured I was laughing.
Laughing Laughing I already know you have a pretty good sense of humor. The santa letters cracked me up. Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 09:16 am
Don't tell me I am in the wrong forum for my question. Am I?
When I think it is the right forum, it turns out I am wrong.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:56 pm
Translator--

I've never seen that usage before. I can't visualize how the first line of any record of transactions could be significent--unless that particular company or culture always lists the most sizable transaction first.

tryingtohelp--

You are more likely to get an answer to your question if you post a New Topic instead of piggybacking on someone else's topic.

Quote:
The sentence is "Don't let the name fool you - the Rockies ain't the stones you'd have to get over at this Cow Country clash. What is it?

yes, this is one of the marlboro contest questions. I am not asking for the answer. What I would like to know is in the sentence if the word "it" is referring to the what you have to get over or is "it" referring to the name of the clash?

You are right--the referent for "it" is unclear. Probably the meaning is "the name for the stones/mountains/barriers at the Cow Country clash/conflict/gathering".
0 Replies