George Will Incredulous at Cheney's Disconnect

snood

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:51 am
One thing about those A2Kers who are the more stalwart defenders of the present administration is their absolute refusal to acknowledge the mess as it exists in Iraq, and those who are responsible for it.

George Will is someone I have read with many a painful grimace over the years, but whose intellectual integrity I still respect.

I sincerely doubt it, but I wonder if what he says makes a dent in the almost clinical denial in which the the rightwing A2Kers seem to operate daily.

------------------------------------------------
"Many months ago it became obvious to all but the most ideologically blinkered that America is losing the war launched to deal with a chimeric problem (an arsenal of WMD) and to achieve a delusory goal (a democracy that would inspire emulation, transforming the region)."

"A surreal and ultimately disgusting facet of the Iraq fiasco is the lag between when a fact becomes obvious and when the fiasco's architects acknowledge that fact. Iraq's civil war has been raging for more than a year; so has the Washington debate about whether it is what it is."

---------------------------------------------------
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15460708/site/newsweek/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 602 • Replies: 9
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:25 am
Iraq;s civil war has been going on for centuries.

IMO, we already won the "war". We eliminated the threat of the regime and determined that WMD are not readilly available.

There is nothing to "win" now. the only thing we are losing are the lives of soldiers.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:43 am
Way to totally skip commenting on Cheney and the administration's disconnect from reality.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:43 am
Re: George Will Incredulous at Cheney's Disconnect
snood wrote:
I sincerely doubt it, but I wonder if what he says makes a dent in the almost clinical denial in which the the rightwing A2Kers seem to operate daily.

Oddly enough, I keep wondering almost the same thing with a difference. Will the left-wing whackadoodles ever stop moaning and groaning and finger pointing? Don't you all realize that eventually the finger bends and points back at you? George and company would not be in power if it weren't for all the time the lefties have wasted sadsacking about how they could have done a better job. If you whackafools think you can do such a terrific job, then why pray tell aren't you out there presenting your brilliant ideas instead of carping all the time? Do something or shut up.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:02 am
snood wrote:
Way to totally skip commenting on Cheney and the administration's disconnect from reality.

Well, maybe if you read my response, you might come to the conclusion that I do not support this administrations tactics post Saddam capture.

Apparently, you are not interested in an objective opinion.

Would you rather me say what you want to hear, which is something to the effect "BUSH SUCKS"? Well, I am not a partisen hack so deal with objectivity.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:25 am
Sturgis wrote:
snood wrote:

Oddly enough, I keep wondering almost the same thing with a difference. Will the left-wing whackadoodles ever stop moaning and groaning and finger pointing? Don't you all realize that eventually the finger bends and points back at you? George and company would not be in power if it weren't for all the time the lefties have wasted sadsacking about how they could have done a better job. If you whackafools think you can do such a terrific job, then why pray tell aren't you out there presenting your brilliant ideas instead of carping all the time? Do something or shut up.

Yeah, that's how I've always seen george Will - a leftwing wackadoodle.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:43 am
snood wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
snood wrote:

Yeah, that's how I've always seen george Will - a leftwing wackadoodle.
Once more you've missed the point.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:48 am
S'okay - you obviously missed mine...

If Ronald Reagan himself jumped out of the ground and pronounced all of the rightwing strategy and approach toward Iraq to be ill-founded and outright nuts, you and your ilk would STILL find some way to read that as an indictment of liberals.

And I think it's priceless how your side started the whole damn mess, and now howls, at any hint of questioning the "course", "don't just complain - do something!!". Your kind resists every idea that isn't in lockstep with Bush's blatherings.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 10:06 am
Sturgis wrote:

Snood covered this nicely but I suspect, Sturgis, that you failed to read the article. Where is this much vaunted sense of responsibility that conservatives are always talking about? You have an illegal invasion of a sovereign country, the murder of thousands of Iraqis and all this was based on a series of lies and propaganda.

And now you're whining that the Democrats have no plan. This in itself is but one more lie spread by the GOP propagandists and obviously swallowed hook, line and sinker by the more gullible conservatives.

Will describes these types of people in his article. It's the last sentence in the quote following.

Quote:

In a recent interview with Vice President Cheney, Time magazine asked, "If you had to take back any one thing you'd said about Iraq, what would it be?" Selecting from what one hopes is a very long list, Cheney replied: "I thought that the elections that we went through in '05 would have had a bigger impact on the level of violence than they have ... I thought we were over the hump in terms of violence. I think that was premature."

He thinks so? Clearly, and weirdly, he implies that the elections had some positive impact on the level of violence. Worse, in the full transcript of the interview posted online he said the big impact he expected from the elections "hasn't happened yet." "Yet"? Doggedness can be admirable, but this is clinical.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15460708/site/newsweek/

0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:36 pm
Sturgis wrote:
snood wrote:

The so-called party of responsibility cry like whiney tittie babies when pressured to produce. Oh, how much they gnash their teeth when called forth to stand and deliver. Why, its not ever their own fault, its that minority party that is responsible. Those evil bastards should not have let us do it.

The pure absurdity would be laughable but for its dead serious exposition of mental ill.

The next thing you'll attempt is to blame a backseat passenger for driving your truck into a ditch because he didn't wrest the wheel from you.

My oh my, its not the bone headed ideological posturing of the BUlsheviks that avoids the real world of objectivity, facts, and rationalism that let down the GOP, nope it was "Leftists, those aforementioned backseat passengers in this vehicle called representative democracy that let us down. So, according to yet another whiney tittie baby from the Right wing bat cave of Darkness, it was those evil Democrats who were not able to wrest from an elected democratic majority the power to implement their own policies and avoid the deathtraps of conservative ideology.

Maybe you don't watch c-span but close to daily Democrats stood on the floor of the House and Senate and fought like hell to stop those crazy-ass Republicans from destroying the legal traditions, honor and reputation of this country.

What has happened in Iraq, Afghanistan, Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, stem-cell research, immigration, balloning trade and budget deficits, the destruction of Middle Class America, a lack of national health care along with port and chemical plant security has been the fault of the GOP alone.
0 Replies