Verb after "I hope"

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 02:20 am
Hi everybody,
I have a question about the form of verbs after "I hope ...". I DO know that usually we use Present or Future after "hope", but I saw a sentence in a grammar book, which read: "I hope I passed the test." That is a Simple Past tense after "hope". What does it exactly mean? What is the difference between Past and Present forms in this sentence.
THANKS.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,563 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:05 am
future tense would be "I hope I pass the test".
Present tense "I hope I am passing the test"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:09 am
Well, first of all, in the phrase 'I hope', the word 'hope' itself is a verb.

But if I understand the thrust of your question, you are asking how 'hope' can be in the present tense when it is followed by an another verb -- 'passed' -- which is in the past tense. In simple terms, you are making the statement (I hope) in the present but your hope is in reference to an event in the past. Does that help?
0 Replies

khorrami

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:41 am
Misundestanding
Thanks, Merry and Dadpad. I suppose, however, that neither you, merry, nor Dadpad got the gist of my question. I have no problem with sentences like these:
I hope I pass the test. [I haven't taken it yet, but I will do it 2 hours later.]

I hope Akbar will be at home when we arrive there this afternoon. [Now I hope for a future event.]

Notice the tense of the verbs after "hope" in the above sentences. But what would be the exact connotation of a past tense verb following the verb "hope", like below?
I hope I passed the test. [compare this sentence with the first one above.]

I'm waiting for your answers. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:04 am
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at khorrami.

The exact connotation of a past tense verb would be that the event has already happened.
There are two verbs here "Hope" and "pass"

You can change the sentance structure a little too.

I am hoping for a good result in the test (future)

"I had hoped to pass the test."
this would indicate to the listener you already know the result of the test and you had an expectation prior to the test.

"I had hoped to pass the test and I did"
"I had hoped to pass the test but i did not"

I know English is a very difficult language to learn and sometime I feel that it is better to get the basics then learn the rest by immersion in the culture for a period. rather than try to sort out hard and fast rules for the language.
0 Replies

khorrami

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:20 am
Dadpad, I agree with all your utterances in your last reply, except the second sentence. Not always does a past verb indicate a past event. Consider, for example, the subjunctive cases or second conditional ones.
I wish I had a car. This by no means refer to a past event or rather state. It is all about present conditions: Now I do not a car!

In addition, I agree with your immesion idea, but the problem is that I am an English teacher and my students pinpoint questions like these. So I should be completely prepared, agree?

So, my question is NOT aswered yet ...
Thans anyhow.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 05:09 am
"I hope I pass the test." [I haven't taken it yet but will do so in 2 hours.]

"I hope I passed the test." [I took it 2 hours ago.]
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:12 am
khorrami wrote:

In addition, I agree with your immesion idea, but the problem is that I am an English teacher and my students pinpoint questions like these. So I should be completely prepared, agree?

So, my question is NOT aswered yet ...
Thans anyhow.

So why am i trying to help you? Laughing You are the english teacher. I'm just a forestry worker. Crikey! If the english teacher doesnt know the answer we're really up the creek. Laughing

Can you fob the students off with a context argument. "What does the rest of the sentence/paragraph tell you about these words?"

My daughter spent 12 months in Sweden as a 16 year old. She tells me her english teacher in Sweden taught the class that deer have "antenna" (antlers), and that Australia is on the "wrong" (other) side of the world.

Sorry I cant give you better help.

I hope someone else can. (Now is that sentence past present or future)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:43 am
If you took the test and won't know the result for a while, you can say:

Gee, I'm so nervous - I hope I passed it.

You can also say:

Great chicken - I hope you cooked it thoroughly.

Or:

Nice to see you. I hope you didn't drive here drunk!

Does this help?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:49 am
I see Merry Andrew gave you the same line a couple of posts up from this... he's as clear as anyone can be.
0 Replies

khorrami

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:44 am
Gratitude
Everybody,
Hi. I don't know how to express my gratitudes towards you because of your tolerance and patience. I DID get the answer.
So it is settled now.
THANKS again.
Akbar
0 Replies

englishnewb

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:55 am
hey, can i say "I hope THAT I pass the test"

or just "I hope I pass the test"?

one is past and one is present?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:37 pm
englishnewb wrote:
hey, can i say "I hope THAT I pass the test"

or just "I hope I pass the test"?

one is past and one is present?

Both mean exactly the same thing. In the second example, "that" is understood. No change in tense.
0 Replies

englishnewb

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:37 pm
so its like this?

I hope I passed the test

AND

I hope that I pass the test
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:06 pm
I hope I passed the test
I hope that I passed the test

Both mean the same thing; 'passed' is past tense (you have already taken the test).

I hope I pass the test
I hope that I pass the test

Both mean the same thing: 'pass' is a hope for the future (you haven't taken the test yet).
0 Replies