BlueBerries

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
Are there health benefits to eating blueberires?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:24 am
Come on, Miller! You are the medical type..... blueberries have lots of good stuff in them.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:25 am
Re: BlueBerries
Miller wrote:

Should be blueberries!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:32 am
Blueberries have good fiber, loads of antioxidants, and they are supposed to be helpful in regulating onset diabetes.

Here's more:
http://www.blueberry.org/health.htm
http://diet.ivillage.com/issues/ichoices/0,,bowden_88bvrdv1,00.html

Quote:
The list of possible benefits from eating blueberries is impressive. Scientific studies have shown that blueberries improve vision through reduction of eye strain. Urinary tract infections appear to be reduced by eating blueberries, by a process similar to cranberries. There is evidence that certain types of cancer may be prevented by eating blueberries. Cardiovascular health may be improved through cholesterol lowering effects and effect on blood capillaries. Many of these studies have only been done exclusively in experimental animals, but the evidence is mounting.

The list of health promoting compounds found in blueberries goes beyond antioxidants. Bacterial inhibitors, folic acid, vitamins A and C, carotenoids, ellagic acid, folic acid, and dietary fibre, all are in blueberries. Medicinal Food News
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:35 am
I read somewhere that they help to maintain a youthful appearance...other than taste, which makes me happy, I eat them to stay young looking. Good to know about that diabetes factor as well, since that runs down the bloodlines of my family.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:48 am
Is this a trick question?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:55 am
Sturgis wrote:
I read somewhere that they help to maintain a youthful appearance...

Good to know!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
Blueberries are one of the 14 'superfoods' - foods that, when incorporated into your diet, help prevent diseases such as macular degeneration, diabetes, Alzheimer's, hypertension, and some cancers.

Quote:
It is true that good things come in small packages. Used by Native Americans for medicinal purposes, blueberries are a tiny fruit that combines a wide variety of nutrients. "Blueberries don't have a huge amount of any single nutrient, but they have the synergy of multiple nutrients," Pratt says. "There's vitamin C, folic acid, fiber, carotenoids, and hundreds of other compounds in this one small fruit. Blueberries also have a very thick skin, which is where nature packs most of its nutrients." Superfoods

Other superfoods include:
* Beans
* Broccoli
* Oats
* Oranges
* Pumpkin
* Salmon
* Soy
* Spinach
* Tea (green or black)
* Tomatoes
* Turkey
* Walnuts
* Yogurt
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:59 am
Miller, we've posted lots about blueberries and the only commentary you wish to pick up on is that they help you stay young-looking? Why did I bother to post anything at all?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
JPB wrote:
Blueberries are one of the 14 'superfoods' - foods that, when incorporated into your diet, help prevent diseases such as macular degeneration, diabetes, Alzheimer's, hypertension, and some cancers.

Quote:
It is true that good things come in small packages. Used by Native Americans for medicinal purposes, blueberries are a tiny fruit that combines a wide variety of nutrients. "Blueberries don't have a huge amount of any single nutrient, but they have the synergy of multiple nutrients," Pratt says. "There's vitamin C, folic acid, fiber, carotenoids, and hundreds of other compounds in this one small fruit. Blueberries also have a very thick skin, which is where nature packs most of its nutrients." Superfoods

Other superfoods include:
* Beans
* Broccoli
* Oats
* Oranges
* Pumpkin
* Salmon
* Soy
* Spinach
* Tea (green or black)
* Tomatoes
* Turkey
* Walnuts
* Yogurt

Noticably absent from this list is coffee!

Very informative list however.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:04 am
littlek wrote:
.. the only commentary you wish to pick up on is that they help you stay young-looking?

Could I just be vain and want to forever look young?
Laughing
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:58 am
lol. Never mind these nasty little blue things. What about saskatoons?

Somehow one is good and the other is icky. Oh, torture is being served a blueberry muffin. <retching> A wad of dough and nasty berries bleeding into it.

I like the other superfoods though. Good list! thanks.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:39 am
IMO, blueberries are best served frozen. I eat them almost every day (blackberries, too). I hear they are also good for your brain! [LINK]
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:41 am
Best served frozen? Wouldn't that make them all crunchy? I prefer mine thawed!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:49 am
NickFun wrote:
Best served frozen? Wouldn't that make them all crunchy? I prefer mine thawed!

I LOVE frozen blueberries, (especially the ones that I have picked myself). It is like a frozen confection. Try it, you'll like it! Very Happy
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:53 am
Crunchy? No, not at all. They begin to melt really fast. It just gives them a little texture so they're not all squishy. I pour them in a cup and eat them with a spoon, like ice cream. You can usually find them in the frozen foods section. (Damn. I sound like a commercial!)
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 12:01 pm
Oh, yeah. . .

Try to get the ones that are real big and fat. The bigger, the sweeter. When I go to buy them I usually wait until there's no one else around, and then I start going through all the bags, groping around to find the extra fat ones. (It's worth it.) If they only have the little baby ones, I don't even bother. I just go with the blackberries, instead. (Good ol' standby.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 03:38 pm
Ah, yes, Miller, but what is the reason they help keep you young? It's the antioxidants. Not only should they help with your outside (skin), but they should also be doing the same for your insides (heart, vains, bladder, kidneys, etc)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:36 am
echi wrote:
IMO, blueberries are best served frozen. I eat them almost every day (blackberries, too). I hear they are also good for your brain! [LINK]

I love them frozen too, also mixed in with ice cream.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:42 am
Re: BlueBerries
Miller wrote:

I hope so, Im doing a puddin' tonight with blueberries, have yet to buy them tho.
0 Replies