Asking for proper translation of W. C. in English

fansy

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 01:41 am
An 80 year old retired teacher of English from the south of China recently wrote to me, discussing incorrect translation of W. C. (water closet) found everywhere in public places in Beijing. He argued that "toilets" are found in private residences; W. C. for public are called "restrooms" in the US, and "public toilets" in the UK. Inside these places "Gents" and "Ladies" signs are displaced at proper places.
In Beijing, however, at some places one may find "Male Toilet" and "Female Toilet"; or simply "Men" and "Women" are shown on the doors of these places.

I would like you folks living in the UK or the US, or anywhere else, suggest what terms we should use here in China, for W. C. in the streets, in parks, etc. and those in theatres, restaurants, hotels, etc.

We mean to have correct signs put up to replace those incorrect ones so that when the 2008 Olympic Games comes foreign visitors would not laugh at these silly signs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 798 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:36 am
The 80 yr old teacher is a little mistaken. Elderly people are often pedantic! There are a number of words for the places where people urinate and defecate. Yes, the ones in private houses are usually called toilets or lavatories (singular: lavatory. This UK English word is a little old fashioned). However, he is wrong to say that these words cannot be used for public toilets as well as private ones. I would guess that the most usual term is 'toilet' whether private or public. However in UK English there is another word reserved for a public toilet or lavatory: a public convenience. This is very old fashioned.

Do not worry about people laughing at China. If they are looking for a toilet, lavatory, or convenience, whether they are "Gents" or "Ladies", they will be so glad to find one, (especially if they have been looking for a while!) they will not care what it is called.

In international airports and many other places the Gents/Ladies/Men/Women problem is avoided by the use of pictograms.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/306752/2/istockphoto_306752_a_couple.jpg
0 Replies

hotshy

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:50 pm
i agree with contrex, leave the signs as they are. it brings education to the subject and why change what may be "normal" to the chinese.
0 Replies