Soldiers in revolt: Hundreds appeal to Congress to end war

Amigo

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:03 am
I remember when you but that up Ellpus. I remember comenting on how I couldn't find anything about it int he states.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:34 am
Mind Games Part II - To Hell and Back: Spinning the Downward Spiral

Nancy Goldstein

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Mind_Games_II__Coming_Home_1025.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:54 am
Amigo wrote:
snood wrote:
Yeah, I heard about this during the Kerry campaign.
The Vietnam syndrome is back. That's what ende the the vietnam war. When the ball starts rolling the scale will tip and everybody will get on the band wagon to end the war as they did to start the war.

"By God We've kicked the Vietnam Syndrome once and for all." -1991, President Bush Sr.

I think that privately Bush and his minions have already decided to pull out, but are just waing for the advantageous time to say so. They are thoroughly full of ****.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:49 pm
Hmm. I forgot why did Bush invade Iraq?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:09 am
au1929 wrote:
Hmm. I forgot why did Bush invade Iraq?

Depends on who, and when you ask.

- To force the surrender of WMD stockpiles,

then when it became obvious there were none...

-To force the surrender of WMD weapons programs

and when that too became a bogus impetus...

-To rid Iraq of an oppressive dictator

but when that happened quickly, it became clear they had always had a plan...

-To establish an American influenced "democratic" regime in Iraq

but since that has been looking less likely...

-To aid the Iraqis in governing and defending until they can do it themselves

but since 3 1/2 years, contless billions, and thousands of lives lost and maimed makes that plan look like something cooked up by the keystone cops...

-To save face until we can get the hell out, while maintaining constant denial both of all responsibility for the mess we've made, and of the always unspoken desire to control the oil in that region
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:07 pm
The reasons for going haven't changed, the reasons for staying have.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:56 pm
Yeah, McG - you go right on pretending as if all is going according to plan. Then, after the election when their tune changes to beginning to redeploy troops, you can pretend as if you knew that was part of the plan all along.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:59 pm
snood wrote:
Yeah, McG - you go right on pretending as if all is going according to plan. Then, after the election when their tune changes to beginning to redeploy troops, you can pretend as if you knew that was part of the plan all along.

wow, you sure can read a lot into so little. Wiat a second, let me check something...

Quote:
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

Yep, thought so.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:16 pm
No one has to infer anything from what you say to know you defend everything bush does. Stevie Wonder could see that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:51 am
Yeah, it would take a blind man to lead you.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:06 am
McGentrix wrote:
The reasons for going haven't changed, the reasons for staying have.

What are those reasons? I am struggling to find one good reason for us to stay.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 09:52 pm
Army Times: "Time for Rumsfeld to go"

AP

An editorial scheduled to appear on Monday in Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times, calls for the resignation of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

The papers are sold to American servicemen and women. They are published by the Military Times Media Group, which is a subsidiary of Gannett Co., Inc.

Here is the text of the editorial, an advance copy of which we received this afternoon.

----------------

Time for Rumsfeld to go

"So long as our government requires the backing of an aroused and informed public opinion ... it is necessary to tell the hard bruising truth."

That statement was written by Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent Marguerite Higgins more than a half-century ago during the Korean War.

But until recently, the "hard bruising" truth about the Iraq war has been difficult to come by from leaders in Washington. One rosy reassurance after another has been handed down by President Bush, Vice President Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld: "mission accomplished," the insurgency is "in its last throes," and "back off," we know what we're doing, are a few choice examples.

Military leaders generally toed the line, although a few retired generals eventually spoke out from the safety of the sidelines, inciting criticism equally from anti-war types, who thought they should have spoken out while still in uniform, and pro-war foes, who thought the generals should have kept their critiques behind closed doors.

Now, however, a new chorus of criticism is beginning to resonate. Active-duty military leaders are starting to voice misgivings about the war's planning, execution and dimming prospects for success.

Army Gen. John Abizaid, chief of U.S. Central Command, told a Senate Armed Services Committee in September: "I believe that the sectarian violence is probably as bad as I've seen it ... and that if not stopped, it is possible that Iraq could move towards civil war."

Last week, someone leaked to The New York Times a Central Command briefing slide showing an assessment that the civil conflict in Iraq now borders on "critical" and has been sliding toward "chaos" for most of the past year. The strategy in Iraq has been to train an Iraqi army and police force that could gradually take over for U.S. troops in providing for the security of their new government and their nation.

But despite the best efforts of American trainers, the problem of molding a viciously sectarian population into anything resembling a force for national unity has become a losing proposition.

For two years, American sergeants, captains and majors training the Iraqis have told their bosses that Iraqi troops have no sense of national identity, are only in it for the money, don't show up for duty and cannot sustain themselves.

Meanwhile, colonels and generals have asked their bosses for more troops. Service chiefs have asked for more money.

And all along, Rumsfeld has assured us that things are well in hand.

Now, the president says he'll stick with Rumsfeld for the balance of his term in the White House.

This is a mistake.

It is one thing for the majority of Americans to think Rumsfeld has failed. But when the nation's current military leaders start to break publicly with their defense secretary, then it is clear that he is losing control of the institution he ostensibly leads.

These officers have been loyal public promoters of a war policy many privately feared would fail. They have kept their counsel private, adhering to more than two centuries of American tradition of subordination of the military to civilian authority.

And although that tradition, and the officers' deep sense of honor, prevent them from saying this publicly, more and more of them believe it.

Rumsfeld has lost credibility with the uniformed leadership, with the troops, with Congress and with the public at large. His strategy has failed, and his ability to lead is compromised. And although the blame for our failures in Iraq rests with the secretary, it will be the troops who bear its brunt.

This is not about the midterm elections. Regardless of which party wins Nov. 7, the time has come, Mr. President, to face the hard bruising truth:

Donald Rumsfeld must go.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:48 pm
There was an investigative report on tv today about the lies recruiters tell civilians to get them signed up. Many are told they won't have to go to Iraq to fight. The marine general said he'll "investigate." Yeah, sure.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
woiyo wrote: I am struggling to find one good reason for us to stay.

It's cause Bush says "stay the course." He changed the words a little last week, but the policy remains the same.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:59 pm
What is truly unbelievable is the simple fact that Bush's rhetoric on the campaign trail is "the democrats don't have a solution." He's the one who created the problem, for crissakes.
0 Replies