which country has more culture in the world?

nimh

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:18 pm
gerd wrote:
I asked the same question in another page, and they just answer very easily :wink:

Which are the 10 countries with more culture?

I think the answers you got here were a lot better than the ones you got there.

All that thread there showed you, is what people think they should consider the "best" cultures - the deepest, highest, longest, oldest, whatever.

Basically, it wasnt anything more than a popularity contest.

What you can find in this thread is some encouragement to look a little further than that. To look up what "culture" means beyond just having the oldest buildings or the most gods or the coolest art or the grandest monuments.

You already gave the dictionary definition of "culture" - and I think you should go back to it and think about what it said some more. Or read some other definitions of "culture", in an encyclopedia or the like. Because the dictionary definition of culture is not "People that have existed for a really long time and that are famous around the world and have lots of really cool old buildings".

Culture is the traditions we share and the values we hold, the ways we have to interact and the things we believe. Culture can be anything from classical chants to pop music, from jokes to slang, from marriage rituals to dress styles, from the way you eat to the stories you tell. Its not just classical art or organised religion or ancient architecture.

Thats why you cant really say that one people have "more" culture than another. Every group has his own culture, or sometimes more than one. They're all different, but you cant have "more" or "less" culture. You can have more knowledge, or more rules, or more old buildings. But not really "more culture".

Mind you, this is what most people here (in the West, on A2K) believe now. There were other times. Just 50 years ago, my father's teacher might still have taught him that Holland had "more culture" than those primitive black people in our colonies, in Surinam for example. But there's been a lot of progress since, in cultural studies, in cultural anthropology, etc etc...
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
Culture is a very easy word or very difficult one, just from your perspective, I know every country in the world has their own culture, actually if your trying to be sooooo "deep" you and me have culture too, but I just tried to get the people's ideas...maybe is not true but is democracy, some cultures in the world have had more impact to the world history than others, obviously it doesn't mean they are better, but it's the reality.
If you went to school (maybe in Netherlands) you should have studied Netherlands History but I am sure you took a look to greek, chinese, egyptian and ancient american history, I am American but I also took a look to greek, chinese, egyptian and ancient american history but no netherland history, it is the reality, those cultures had more impact to the wolrd history.
0 Replies