which country has more culture in the world?

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:22 am
Gerd,

My anscestors were European and so it is not surprising that when you want to look for my cultural heritage you need to go through Europe.

You are right that there are no artifacts of my cultural heritage here. But this is because my ancestors migrated here in the past several hundred years. If you want buildings relating to my culture you need to go to Europe.

But still this doesn't mean that my culture is any less "cultural" than any other culture.

You are completely wrong that Americans don't have "original" traditions or "important ancient culture".

There are rituals that I follow that have been part of my culture for thousands of years. I (as many Americans) participated in a cleansing ritual where I was immersed in water as part of an ancient religious ceremony.

And next month, the vast majority of Americans will, as our European and Middle Eastern ancestors have for millinea, participate in a Winter Solstace celebration that involves feasting, lights, gifts and the bringing of nature (evergreen boughs) into the house.

If all you are saying is that we don't have old buildings... then I will have to agree with you.

But we have as rich, deep and ancient a culture as anyone.
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:58 pm
Yes I know, but world history is about cultures which have had an impact to the developement of our present, and I love american cultures, but you can not compare Aztecs, Mayan or Inca culture which are also american with anyother less important culture (FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF HISTORY) I know they are important for you.
As you comment, your ancestors are from Europe not from America, the Original american culture has almost dissapeared.
Please do not be confuse, I want a place with traditions and important culture, maybe there is a place in The USA which I do not know yet, but if you know the place tell me the name, I just asked a question, you can give your opinion, but just one name. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:05 pm
OK Come to Boston Massachusetts and enter a Catholic Church on Sunday morning. You will see an ancient culture with rituals that have their origins from over 4000 years.

The building isn't thousands of years old... but the cultural traditions are.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:37 pm
Gerd--

I suspect that American Culture has permeated your world and you are no more able to recognize this than a fish can verbalize the idea of water.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMERICA!
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
OK Come to Boston Massachusetts and enter a Catholic Church on Sunday morning. You will see an ancient culture with rituals that have their origins from over 4000 years.

The building isn't thousands of years old... but the cultural traditions are.

Thanks ebrown Very Happy
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:20 pm
I was a Ctholic in Boston, MA many eons ago. What traditions are so old? Drinking wine on the altar? Sitting and standing? Kneeling? I'm lost here.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:47 pm
Sure, Nick.

Wine on the altar is an ancient ritual far predating Christ.

Lighting candles in front of icons.

A winter solstice celebration with presents and feasting and gifts. Although the meaning was changed when the renamed the solstice "Christmas" (we know it was simply solstice because Christ was not born in December) the traditions far predate Christ.

Easter with its garlands and all of its fertility symbols.

A Religiously significant cleansing rituals.

Worship of the Queen of Heaven (again symbology that far predates Christ).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
Can anyone give me a counter-example of a culture that is more authentic or more ancient that that?

All cultures have ancient parts and all cultures are modern. People and societies are constantly changing even while they hold onto old rituals.

I don't think European/Christian/American culture is any different in that regard than any other culture.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:13 pm
India has a diverse culture- many religions, many languages etc. Indian women clothing- that includes saree and salwar-kamiz- is one of the highlights of the Indian culture. Religion is also an important constituent of the culture -- a lot of what Indians do,dress,eat,sadly sometimes, is governed by their religious beliefs.

Infact, arranged marriages, as opposed to love marriages in the West, is a system that is also akin to culture. Though obviosly, things are changing with time.
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:53 pm
spidergal wrote:
India has a diverse culture- many religions, many languages etc. Indian women clothing- that includes saree and salwar-kamiz- is one of the highlights of the Indian culture. Religion is also an important constituent of the culture -- a lot of what Indians do,dress,eat,sadly sometimes, is governed by their religious beliefs.

Infact, arranged marriages, as opposed to love marriages in the West, is a system that is also akin to culture. Though obviosly, things are changing with time.

Very interesting, thanks for the information spidergal. Very Happy
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 08:00 pm
I asked the same question in another page, and they just answer very easily :wink:

Which are the 10 countries with more culture?

In Spanish

In French

In German
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 08:26 pm
I checked up the data and here are the results, I know they are common people, but that is what I wanted to know, The most of the people said.... Laughing

1-China
2-Turkey
3-Japan
4-The United Kingdom
5-India
6-Italy
7-Greece
8-Mexico
9-Egypt
10-Russia
11-Germany
12-Thailand
13-Israel
14-Austria
15-Indonesia
16-Peru
17-Canada
18-USA
19-Netherland
20-Iraq
21-spain
22-Sweden
23-Belgica
24-Australia
25-Switzerland
26-Ireland
27-South Africa
28- Lebanon
29-Iran
30-Saudi Arabia
31-Colombia
32-Zambia
33-Burkina Faso
34-New guinea
35-Gambia
36-Congo
37-Cambodia
38-Netherlands.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:17 am
Gerd--

I'm glad that you're happy. I hope your professor is also--but I have my doubts.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:24 am
I would be glad if Gerd can justify China's top place. A few years ago, I was watching a Lonely Planet episode on China. The traveller was going around Beijing and as she observed the people,she made a comment, "You can see how the Chinese have adopted the Western culture and it's evident in everything." As she (Justine Sheparo, I guess) said this, the camera looped around a Chinese woman strolling across the street in a micro-miniskirt. The hoardings on the roads had Ricky Martin and Janet Jackson sipping Pepsi in. The traditional Chinese culture is now rather restricted to the tribals and smaller towns only.

By the way, I find this thread interesting. I wish I had been given an assignment like that during school.

If I were to come up with a list, I would place countries like Japan, Egypt and India in the top three. Poland, too, would be there- at no. 4 probably.

I find the case of Arabian countries interesting. Although they have preserved much of their ancient culture and traditions yet that fails to impress me. I am sure if there leadership was more liberal, things would have been different. They have forced their people into remaining so isolated and backward. I would place these countries on the lower rung of my Top 10.

P.S Gerd, no. 23 should be Belgium and not Belgica.
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 11:07 am
Thanks for your comments, I'm kind of happy, because I know Culture is a very difficult topic, but I know the first Ideas that come up to your minds are mostly similar, as I said before I love every culture :wink:.
And thank you spidergal, I copied the word Belgica from the spanish link, the correct word is Belgium.
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 04:23 pm
New 7 wonders have been elected...and they represent the country with more culture.

1- Great Wall (China)
2-Petra (Jordania)
3- Crhist Redemeer (Brazil)
4- Macchu Pichu (Peru)
5- Chichen Itzá (Mexico)
6- colosseum (Italy)
7-Taj Mahal (India)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
again, Gerd, you are being unclear. What relationship are these new '7 Wonders' to countries you list as having the most culture(s)?
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:55 pm
I did the poll, as free as I could and the results were not conducted, that is all I can say, the most of the people think like that, not only me not only you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:00 pm
gerd wrote:
I did the poll, as free as I could and the results were not conducted, that is all I can say, the most of the people think like that, not only me not only you.

And if most people think something, it is true?
0 Replies