Critics & Current Film 8/8: LORD OF WAR, ELEVATOR

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:04 pm
Just got back from seeing it and was somewhat disappointed. It was too "Hollywood creepy" and had WAY too many pretentious, artsy directorial touches. Effects were great, but not nearly enough character development. Plot was not smooth...a scene, a scene, a scene, a scene...not enough flow...and certain key elements of the plot were left out. Had to explain a lot to 10-year-olds we took who know the books backward and forward and loved the first two films. This one lacked charm.

There were 7 of us that went, then had dinner together. We're all very familiar with the books & films. We all agreed this director has the right touch for Book 5 (where the tale takes a dark turn), but not for this one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 02:33 pm
Ebert's out on a limb with "Garfield" and "The Stepford Wives" which are getting basically thrashed by the critics (looks like this Sunday's Ebert and Roeper should be a hoot). "The Chronicles of Riddick" isn't faring much better. On the Rotten Tomato guage, they're all around 10% favorable -- an abysmal showing. Will this rocket Harry Potter into the stratoshpere?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 04:46 pm
I haven't read the critics yet. but I assume that Garfield must be a bomb. I base this solely on the promotion for this flick. Anything that needs this kind of hype apparently can't stand up on its own.

Boston Globe gave Stepford Wives a thumbs up as a hilarious comedy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:02 pm
With more reviews in, "Stepford Wives" has made it to 32% favorable which means I won't be rushing out to the theaters to see it. The one that's bringing in the great reviews is "Word Wars" about the eccentric world of Scrabble competions:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/WordWars-1133431/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
"The Terminal" and "Dodgeball" both hover around 70% favorable reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes gauge.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
"Fahrenheit 9/11" is opening to around 70% great reviews, many of them raves. Moviefone, one of the Web's top theater ticket sales, reports the film at the top of their most requested ticket. Do I see a "Passion" passion brewing?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:26 am
Not that many films about animals make the grade -- this one looks great:

"Two Brothers" LINK

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/25/review.two.brothers.ap/index.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
"Spiderman II" looks like it will easily be added to the annals of movies that receive great reviews and kills and the box office:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/SpiderMan2-1133520/

"De-Lovely" is the big for adults film opening and is receiving fair critical reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/SpiderMan2-1133520/

Checking Ebert's reviews there continues to be some great smaller and almost always independent offerings that should be considering if one has a film arthouse nearby.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
First review: "King Arthur" Doesn't look promising:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/06/review.kingarthur.ap/story.knightley.owen.jpg

Review: A ponderous 'King Arthur'
Camelot drags a lot, despite good performances
By Christy Lemire
Associated Press
Tuesday, July 6, 2004 Posted: 4:08 PM EDT (2008 GMT)

(AP) -- There's no Camelot, no Excalibur. There's no Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot love triangle.

There is a table, and it's round, but nobody sits at it for too long.

And nobody ever, ever bursts into song in "King Arthur" -- though it might be sort of fun if they did, if only to break up the intensity of the battle scenes, and to brighten the literal and thematic sludge through which the warriors valiantly slog.

BALANCE OF REVIEW
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:49 pm
Several well received films released this week from the look of Ebert's reviews. He gives "The Village" a pan and a single star. A. O. Scott of the New York Times was also dissapointed in Shaymalan'a latest product. It's barely reached 50% favorable reviews that those are not wildly praising the film. I think I'll wait for cable.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/village/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:43 am
Well, this saves us a 90 mile ride to Fredericton NB . I was beginning to tire of Shaymalans use of the "twist" since his Crop Circle /evil aliens attempt. Tthat was a real phone-in.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:26 am
Shaymalan is undoubtedly skillful in his filmmaking techniques and hires on a cinematographer who can match his dark visions. But especially in "Signs" he loses his way in a pretentious message that falls flat on its face. "Signs" didn't get a free pass of good reviews either although a few percent above this new effort. Here's what Andrew Sarris summed up "Signs:"

"The movie is almost completely lacking in suspense, surprise and consistent emotional conviction."

The emotional conviction of Mel Gibson was a one-dimensional display of angst (surprised that he used it again in "The Passion?) as he emulated Richard Burton in "The Night of the Iguana." Nobody seems to notice Gibson's copycat performances consistent throughout his career. I preferred him in "Gallapoli" and the first "Mad Max." By "Thunderdome" I lost interest in him as an actor. With Kenneth Branaugh completely negating his performance in "Hamlet" (not to mention many other performances including Sir Laurence Olivier). Ignore his handsome face and beguiling deep baritone voice, and listen to his intonation and watch his facial expressions and one should come up empty. In his "The Man With No Face," he hide his frown and smile performance behind a make-up job that looked like it was applied with a putty knife.

I don't know how anyone is suckered in by Night's plodding, depressing and humorless manipulations. This new effort is, as Ebert put it, a shaggy-dog story with the answer to the twist too easy for most to guess before the film is half-way over. I admit I didn't guess the ending of "The Sixth Sense" but the surprise (it wasn't a shock) that one of the characters was not alive did not mean a thing. It was like a roller coaster ride that was flat all the way until a small hill at the end.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
At nearly the end of the vying for the big summer blockbusters, we have the bottom of the barrel like the "Anaconda" sequel.

There is hope in "Mean Creek," "Oasis," but especially "Hero:"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hero/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:23 am
Anyone rushing to the cinema this weekend will be pleased with some superior film fare. "Silver City," the new John Sayles political satire should be a must see for you independent cinema fans while anyone who enjoyed "Raiders of the Lost Ark" may find "Sky Captain" just what you're looking for. The advent in CGI has no real sets -- it's all "through the looking glass" computer generated but with live actors.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:27 am
Still catching up on last years fare..but will keep an eye out wizard...thanks...*have to mention i just watched House of Sand and Fog...Ben Kingsley was absolutely brilliant...would have voted for him over Penn.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
Kingsley was incredible, wasn't he? Such a multi-layered performance. While Sean Penn's was less effective, he was given a career Oscar and I could name other performances where he deserved one. Kingsley already has one. I figure he has another one in him. It may have been the ensemble acting that made his performance have less impact. Everyone in that movie was great and it's about time the Oscar had an ensemble acting award.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
I agree...the only one i had trouble with was the officer(normally on 3rd watch) ..then of course it would have been a tough call for ensemble with "Return of the King"...but how Ebert felt about Charlize Theron in "Monster" i feel about Kingsley in "house of sand and fog" and if they can give back to back oscars to Hanks(fine guy not the best actor in my humble opinion) then I think Kingsley diserved this one. Penn still has many years of acting ahead, they could have waited..look how long Paul Newman waited, and not even his best performance. But i digress..keep up the info i am always looking :-)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 04:46 pm
Career Oscars aren't that uncommon and Penn is getting up there.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
The star ratings from Ebert's new Chicago Times Website are not copying so just click on the link -- I think you'll all be pleased at the great new design of the site.

"Friday Night Lights" with a whopping 81% favorable review percentage from Rotten Tomatoes website seems to be the one you might consider getting out to the cineplex this weekend. Not only that, but a re-release of the great classic Visconti film "The Leopard" in a restored version.
It's in limited release at such theaters as the Music Box in Chicago so check your local paper.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:44 pm
Forty million moviegoers flocked to the cinemplex's to see this film -- I'm passing:

The Grudge

Roger Ebert / October 22, 2004

Cast & Credits

Karen: Sarah Michelle Gellar
Doug: Jason Behr
Jennifer Williams: Clea DuVall
Matthew Williams: William Mapother
Susan Williams: KaDee Strickland
Peter: Bill Pullman
Maria: Rosa Blasi
Emma: Grace Zabriskie

Columbia Pictures presents a film directed by Takashi Shimizu. Written by Takashi Shimizu and Stephen Susco. Running time: 96 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for mature thematic material, disturbing images/terror/violence, some sensuality).

"The Grudge" has a great opening scene, I'll grant you that. Bill Pullman wakes up next to his wife, greets the day from the balcony of their bedroom, and then -- well, I, for one, was gob-smacked. I'm not sure how this scene fits into the rest of the movie, but then I'm not sure how most of the scenes fit into the movie. I do, however, understand the underlying premise: There is a haunted house, and everybody who enters it will have unspeakable things happen to them.

BALANCE OF REVIEW
0 Replies