Critics & Current Film 8/8: LORD OF WAR, ELEVATOR

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 06:23 pm
Try it, you'll like it:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8190
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 07:24 pm
I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean last night. It's the first non-animated film I've gone to see at the theatre in over a decade. I loved it!

I always liked Johnny Depp, and he was absolutely perfect in this. I'm glad I took a risk and tried this.

hehehehehehe GrandVizier - you do know that irl Setanta IS Sully?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 10:09 pm
I went to see 'Pirates' Monday night. It's light fluff Summer fare, but it's so off-the-wall it's great fun. Johnny Depp is awesome in the role.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:52 pm
Sounds like a film I just saw in HDTV for the second time, "The Mark of Zorro" with Antonio Banderes. Funny thing, I think this was a successful adventure story and a worth addtion to the Zorro filmolog and was Antonio's best performance! He and Catherine Zeta-Jones had real chemistry going and the story was believeable. I understand the story is the weakest part of "Pirates," that's it's all in the well honed performances. It looks to me like Depp was playing a bit off the drag queen he played in "Before Night Falls," one of my favorite Indies of the past five years.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:53 pm
Bearing in mind that this is inspired by the ride at Disneyland and it's got a personal connection for me since I created the fiber optic fireflies on that ride.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:56 pm
Hey! I love those fireflies! It's my favorite part of my favorite ride at Disneyland, in fact the only thing I like at Disneyland! Very moody!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:04 pm
Quite cool, LW! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:05 pm
Yes, I always like to dine at the Blue Bayou (on a non-busy day as there's an hour wait on a weekend or even a busy summer weekday), especially with someone new so I can brag about the fireflies (thus they undoubtedly will pick up the check in my honor). Excuse me while I adjust my arm, it gets a terrible cramp in it when I'm patting myself on the back. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:12 pm
I was hired on as an indepedent consultant and actually worked on the lighting on the entire ride but Disney doesn't pay very well and I never did any more work for them. Eyvind Earle, an artist we specialize in at the gallery, left Disney for the same reason. His prints are some of the few commercial graphics that have value and are priced accordingly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 12:58 pm
If you saw Ebert and Roper last night, you saw a great debate of " Lara Croft," which I consider to be an enternating but fluffy piece of action movie making (the first one, at least, and many critics are saying this one is better). It was like the old Siskel and Ebert!
I really am taken aback by Roper's aloof snobbery sometimes.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 06:23 am
Adding my "me too" in praise of Johnny Depp in PotC. His "take" when he sees the height challenged pirate was worth the price of admission.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 06:51 am
Yep, I thoroughly enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean. It was much better than I expected it to be - had no idea it would be so funny!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:01 am
Depp has always had a wry comic undertone to even his serious performances. It's almost certain he can do comedy and I am anxious to see the film (for a fun night, or day, at the cinema). As "Ed Wood," he revealed the human side of the chracter. His portrayals are never mechanical -- they seem like a natural part of his persona. I don't think we've seen anything yet.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:06 am
I agree - Depp gets better and better.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:42 am
In "Chocolat" I think we may have seen a chracter very close to Depp's own personality but who can be sure. He certainly picks out parts that are unique and challenging. He may have even picked this Disney film because it was challenging to carry a popcorn movie, after all based on a ride in Disneyland!
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:34 pm
I took the grandsons to see Pirates, thinking I'd sleep through the whole thing. How wrong I was. This was a really funny movie. I don't know how they hit on the idea of playing Depp the way they did, but it was a stroke of genius. The script was good humored and full of wit.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:16 pm
I loved PotC! Adored Johnny Depp in the lead. I'm finally overcoming the instantaneous pairing of JD's name with 21 Jump Street. There were some little flaws, but a great movie over all!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 01:40 am
Some flaws are personal bugaboosn -- I know I have them and it's usual some mannerism of the director that doesn't work for me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 05:28 am
My wife saw Pirates of the Carribean, and loved it while it was happening. When she got out of the theatre, two thoughts came to her mind. Depp totally carried the film, and she just enjoyed a movie that completely manipulated her...and she hates being manipulated Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:54 am
All Disney movies are manipulative. There are absolutely no exceptions. So what?
0 Replies