Critics & Current Film 8/8: LORD OF WAR, ELEVATOR

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:11 am
This is topic is to post critical recommendations to the latest efforts on the silver screen. This is, of course, designed to augment the national critic's responses to the film and either encourage or discourage a trip to the local multiplex. There's a link to Rotten Tomatoes which lists current reviews by new releases as well as archived and there's also a comprehensive search in Movie Review Query Engine and Roger Ebert's Chicago Suntimes reviews.

REVIEW SITES

http://www.rottentomatoes.com

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

www.mrqe.com

For Indie fans, a link to the Film Threat site:

www.filmthreat.com

Ebert & Roeper Audio Reviews LINK:

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/today.html

Roger Ebert's Current Reviews

LINK to the Chicago Sun-Times Ebert Site

NEW EBERT REVIEWS

Elevator to the Gallows ***1/2
Just Like Heaven ***
Lord of War ***1/2
The Thing About My Folks **1/2
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 26,122 • Replies: 252
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 07:07 am
Seems like nobody's going to the movies, George. Either that, or nobody has any opinions.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 07:23 am
Perhaps when we get more members who do go out to the movies. Just trhing also to determine the format -- I could provide more links to sites like Metacritic or Movie Quiry Engine for reviews. Any suggestions are, of course, welcome. (Maybe we should take a poll as to who does go out to the movies!) There are some votes on the poll.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 08:55 am
Other than taking my nieces to see Finding Nemo, I haven't seen anything since Matrix 2.

I have seen some great DVDs, though. Very Happy

The format looks good to me, LW. Perhaps links would help people who haven't heard of the films listed, but are curious.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 01:56 pm
Several films listed are on my "to see" list: Sweet Sixteen, Whale Rider, Finding Nemo, The Italian Job.

Last week I saw Winged Migration. I recommend it! Amazing photography, awesome struggle.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:24 am
Nice recommendation, nextone.

I think I will incorporate some more links, mac -- especially to sites like Rotten Tomatos.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:03 pm
Nextone, I, too, saw Winged Migration and thought it a great accomplishment. The photography was magnificent and the soundtrack thankfully unobtrusive. Viewing this movie was an aesthetically satisfying thing to do. The environmentalist subtext was unpretentious but persuasive.

A friend who had seen it, told me to go. He said he'd refund my money if I didn't like it. His money is safe.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:45 pm
Hazlitt (Dangerous readings?),
It's been over two weeks since I saw Winged Migration, and can still call up so many images: the straining geese in flight, the geese in the snow ( a new appreciation of goose down), the owl and owlet, the grebes running on the water, the rookery shots (How do they find their own chicks?) The shot of the geese going down the East River with the Trade Towers off to the west still makes me tear up. And on and on and on.

It's a movie I'd love to revisit every few years, but I don't think home viewing would be satisfying..needs the BIG SCREEN.

I miss experiencing the Fall migration over NYC. In the late 40's through 50's and early 60's the sky over Inwood would be filled with seemingly endless flocks, small birds. Many would overnight in Fort Tryon Park, but what always amazed us was the choice of a gas tank's frame (Riverside Drive viaduct) covered with resting birds.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:11 am
A link to Sony Picture's site for "Winged Migration:"

http://www.sonyclassics.com/wingedmigration/index_flash.html

Haven't seen any reviews but I'm looking for it -- maybe at the local Edward's art theaters at South Coast Plaza in Orange County.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:16 am
I've eliminated the poll as it won't function on editing this thread. Those who voted before would be blocked from voting on new entries and I'd like to keep the running posts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:19 am
The boy and I went to see THE HULK. We were really disappointed because the cheesiness of the CGI spoiled the movie. it was a big cartoon like Roger Rabbit.
Not since the days of Ray Haryhausen has special effects been a real laffer . People wer laughing their asses off in the theater, so we were not alone.
Our Philly stations used to have a 1 to 4 "Liberty B ell" rating for movies. This one , we agreed , deserved a "nobell prize"

Back to you Roger
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Despite the hype machine behind this film, I'd have to wait for this one to come out on cable and farmerman certainly confirms that. The previews do reveal the CGI as stretching believability. It's a kid's film so if they buy it and it's not too dark for them (as several critics point out), I guess it will do just okay. It's now being sunk by the onslaught of other summer blockbusters like "T3." Now that I have the cable digital recorder (which can record two programs simultaneously -- take that, TIVO!) I'm more likely if there's nothing on at the moment and I'm not reading to perhaps watch the film. I'm just as likely to skip it, however.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:34 pm
Nextone, yes, I too can recall those big flocks of migrating birds. I grew up in a town in central Illinois. We were a long way from the big river flyways, but still the flights of geese in October seemed endless.

We had a screened in front porch, and my brother and I slept out there in summer and as far into fall as the weather would permit. I can recall being awakened at night by the squawking geese overhead. We'd go out into the front yard, and there they'd be by the thousands in the moonlit sky.

Now I see them on a pond near Lake Michigan. At day break they take off, one flight after another, into the north wind, make a wide arc to the east and head south, honking all the while. At most there might be a couple of hundred.

Winged Migration was beautiful and brought back the memories.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:39 pm
Here's a rave for a film I just saw and mention of another I'm looking forward to:

"Capturing the Friedmans": a powerful documentary about a crumbling family with a penchant for filming everything that happens to them.

"American Splendor": saw the preview; a film based on Harvey Pekar's graphic autobiography.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
Hulk:

Too dark for children; too cartoonish for grown ups; very very, but very strange morals; a few memorable scenes; lots of bashing but not enough ire; Nick Nolte is terrific (he really plays himself).

7/10, 'cause I was in a good mood.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:46 pm
Max
This may be old stuff, but I recently saw the movie Max, which is a fictional story of Hitler in his early post WWI years. He's a half crazed artist struggling to get a foothold and is befriended by a Jewish art dealer (John Cusack). A struggle ensues.

Very good film, I thought. Both Ebert and Holden (I think it was Holden) reviewed the movie favorably.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/01/012403.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 06:03 pm
I've intended on seeing that film, Hazlitt, and was hoping it would show up on Sundance or IFC. Now that I will have my cable digital recorder I can maybe catch it my subject matter.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 06:42 pm
Hazlitt, I was going to avoid this movie until I read your post. I've seen others of yours and have been impressed. Therefore, I read the review and want to show everyone the last paragraph:

But what, we may ask, parroting Soviet realism, is the purpose of this movie? What is its message? It is not abstract but presents us with two central characters whose races have a rendezvous with destiny. I think the key is in Rothman, who is a kind liberal humanist, who cares for the unfortunate, who lives a life of the mind that blinds him to the ominous rising tide of Nazism. Can a man like this, with values like this, survive against a man like Hitler, who has no value except the will for power? It is the duty of the enlightened state to assure that he can. Dissent protects the body politic from the virus of totalitarianism.

Very interesting. I may just see it now. Thank you, Hazlitt.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 11:27 am
Mr. Wizard, When I saw Gloomy Sunday on Ebert's list, I was intrigued.
I knew the lyrics from that depression song, and Raggedyaggie gave me the history. Wow!

Sorry, I haven't seen any of the movies, and am not like to do so. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 03:39 pm
"Max" didn't enjoy the best reviews but I'm still intrigued. I didn't see it show up on Pay-Per-View, HBO or any other major cable movie channel.
I figure it will make its way onto Sundance of IFC.

A link to IMDB's page on the film:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0290210
0 Replies