Critics & Current Film 8/8: LORD OF WAR, ELEVATOR

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
That sounds believable and it has gotten mixed reviews, but this movie is obviously meant to entertain and is obviously aimed at being a guy movie. Two of my friends who saw it stated that the chemistry was there and the dialogue was fun but they wouldn't make it a point to see it again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:04 am
(And don't puzzle over the three stars from Roger Ebert, he's an admitted Angelie fan who gave the Laura Croft movies good reviews).
0 Replies

Julius

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:28 am
Lightwizard wrote:
That sounds believable and it has gotten mixed reviews, but this movie is obviously meant to entertain and is obviously aimed at being a guy movie. Two of my friends who saw it stated that the chemistry was there and the dialogue was fun but they wouldn't make it a point to see it again.

Ya it honestly wasn't anything more than an average, and predictable film. I doubt many expected more though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:02 pm
THanks and welcome to A2K and the film forum, Julius.

You just nudged my memory to update this to current releases!
0 Replies

Julius

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:23 pm
Thanks. Speaking of recent films I watched War of the Worlds today, I quite liked it honestly, and I expected far less. The trailer made it seem far less mild, but their were a few surprises, and its a good film nothing spectacular.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:24 am
It's not doing the expected box office in the states and therefore isn't the big hit Spielberg likely expected. Could it be partly the fault of his big star's big mouth, spouting off to Matt Lauer about, essentially, Scientology with baggy "I got up too early" eyes? I say they should have given that man a drink -- a Bloody Mary, of course. That wouldn't have removed the stick up his ass but perhaps that is a narrow escape for Cruise. Those splinters can smart.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
For all you fans of Indies, "Murderball" appears to be the one to seek out, with "Hustle and Flow" a close second. On Rotten Tomatoes, the guage is at 80% favorable reviews with many of them rave reviews.

The Hollywood summer offerings also appear to be worth a trip to the multiplex. Take your choice -- here in Southern California it is hot, hot, hot and an air-conditioned theater for a matinee can cool one off while the movie choice is really choice.
0 Replies

flickchick

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:39 pm
agree on murderball
I agree with Lightwizard on Murderball being a film to seek out. I saw it last week, and it was an inspiring, uplifting film (tho not in a cheesy way). Critics like it, but it seems like it isn't doing that well at the bo b/c people who are seeing ads with guys in wheelchairs might be getting turned off. Maybe it's because people think it will be a downer, but this film is exactly the opposite of it.

I loved the music in this flick as well, with songs from ween, the polyphonic spree, and ministry. got the soundtrack and it's one of the best of the year. here's a link to the website for the soundtrack:
murderball soundtrack
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:36 pm
Welcome to A2K and the Film Forum, flickchick. Glad you do see "Murderball" as it's on my list to pay a visit to the art theaters at South Coast Plaza and take in the film. It's an Indie and not expected to do huge box office. Those who complain Hollywood churns out the same factory-scented stuff day after day who don't seek out these movies are lost in translation.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:45 pm
Bill Murray does it again in "Broken Flowers," on the top of my want list for a trip to the art theaters. Ebert and other critics also laud "Saraband."

Except for the pathetic teeny-bopper epic "The Dukes of Hazzard" (I could never bear to sit through the TV series either), a lot fo good Indies out there these past several months.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
JLNobody

Are you serious? "They had to kill him in order to be arty"?
Shades of the Victorian era! In the late 1890s, to satisfy the public with happy endings, there were productions of Romeo and Juliet did not die. And in which Hamlet did not die. Was Shakespeare trying to be arty when he killed off these characters?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 12:47 pm
I don't see JL Nobody on this thread so perhaps you're replying to another?

I've been too busy at the gallery and with lighting projects and left this thread not updated. I'll try to get back on it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:08 pm
Since I can no longer edit the heading, here's the Ebert rated movies for this week:

Domino ***
Elizabethtown ***
Touch the Sound ***
The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till ***
0 Replies